[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Web hosting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: racks-of-servers.jpg (115 KB, 826x800) Image search: [Google]
racks-of-servers.jpg
115 KB, 826x800
Any recommendations for web hosting? It's a pain in the ass trying to find anything decent. My website is only a very small portfolio / hobby project (well under 1 GB) and my current host is about to gouge the shit out of me with renewal. Looking for something suitable and affordable.
>>
>>52200163
I use leaseweb's small vps which is $5/mo I think, they've been reliable.

I haven't tried their webhosting with a control panel and all that shit, I just set up everything myself on the vps.
>>
>>52200163
Host it yourself?
>>
>>52200831
Worst possible solution unless you have a background in network security.
>>
Vultr 15GB SSD $5/mo
I think there are some coupon codes out there
I've been hosting on them with a freebsd nginx server with each domain cloudflared and reselling hosting for $10/mo :^)
>>
>>52201101
OP describes a hobby site / portfolio. Pretty sure security isn't a problem.
>>
>>52201101
It's just a hobby site, nobody wants to hack your shitty site, I bet they couldn't even find it if they wanted.
>>
>>52201427
Worst case scenario is a shit ton of chinese bots trying to ssh
>>
>>52201480
C'mon now, you obviously have no idea. go do some research. You'll realise how idiot proof it is
>>
>>52201427
...are you retarded? Open any network to the internet, within minutes you'll be hit by bots just randomly looking for insecure networks.
>>
>>52200163
>video distribution

no.
>>
You can get away with free hosting man...

Neocorties or a cheap 5$ year vos.

You don't need to host any pic or videos on your server as Vimeo or Imgur should host that for you better. You should also not use Wordpress or any CMS for your simple portfolio. Look into Cactus or Pelican. Static content will be faster than a CMS.
>>
>>52201629
Minutes not really, hours yes any real web Traffic takes abit longer
>>
>>52201629
Are you fucking retarded? You need to purposely go out of your way to open yourself up to any kind of harm. Fuck you could set up a wamp server in 20 minutes that would be secure enough for what you're trying to do.

Please fuck off until you know what you're talking about. the dark corner of the internet where your site is located is not some place where thousands of magical hacking bots endlessly try and compromise your system.

Whatever, if you're too retarded, go ahead and waste you money.
>>
http://alexcican.com/post/guide-hosting-website-dropbox-github/
>>
>>52202356
Is there a way to use some server side stuff with those?
>>
Anyone have experience with ehost? Seems like a pretty cheap option, $100 for 36 months hosting + the domain. I'm looking at hosting my wordpress travel blog.

I was with wirenine but they were complete shit and now want $250 for 3 years. I know very little about web hosting and want something basic that will let me play around with a website that only my family, friends, coworkers and people I meat on the road read but has a lot of photos.
>>
>>52202356
>all my websites (folders) were deleted somehow
>I went straight to their support ticketing system. The dude that was assigned to me was not helpful at all
>My last backup of the websites was in December 2011
what a fucking retard
>>
If it's a site with just static content, use Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage to host the files. It's 2.6ยข per gigabyte per month.

If it's a dynamic application, see >>52201269
>>
>>52200163
Take a look at The Joyent Public cloud, really cheap prices and they have a free tier.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out everything recommended. I'm very basic on my knowledge of this stuff, so I'd definitely prefer an established hosting service rather than trying to put together my own. All the big names seem like total shit though. Has anyone had experience with Siteground? They've been getting really good reviews for the past year and seem affordable, at least compared to the shit I have now.
>>
budget? need any special shit? VPS preferred?
>>
>>52206887
As bog standard and cheap as possible without compromising uptime and bandwidth. It's an extremely small and simple site. I'd be willing to spend over $100 a year if needs be, though I'm hopeful there are cheaper plans out there for small sites.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.