[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting January 8, 2016, all phone companies will be abandoning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1425604390588.gif (109 KB, 205x260) Image search: [Google]
1425604390588.gif
109 KB, 205x260
Starting January 8, 2016, all phone companies will be abandoning the 2-year upgrade contracts. Instead, comsumers will only be able to lease phones like a car, along with normally paying for data plans. The lease payments will be fixed at a specific price (depending on the phone) per month, lasting for a total of 24 months until completely paying it off. This is the corporation's strategy on making phone insurance plans for everyone mandatory.

How feel?
>>
>>52198201
just buy your phone upfront you fucking meme.

if you're not willing to pay sticker price then stop upgrading every two fucking years.
>>
>>52198213
The upfront price for the new iPhone/Galaxy phones will go from $299 to $899. If you dont have that then you either dont get a phone or you end up paying even more during the leasing process. Its BS honestly.
>>
>>52198253
This is literally the true price of these phones that you've been insulated against.

Get your head out of the 2 year upgrade cycle and buy a phone worth the sticker price.
>>
just use a normal phone not a smartphone.
SMS + Telephone is all you need!
For everything else there are Laptops (Netbook or whatever you want to call them) + using phone as mobile data modem
--> Portable + decent keyboard not shitty on screen keyboard + normal programs no 'useless apps'.
Old Nokia. Good Battery. Never upgrade --> money for food

> captcha: Sandwiches
>>
>>52198201
>things that won't actually happen
>>
>>52198732
>SMS + Telephone is all you need!
not these days
>>
>>52198884
Playing shitty flash games on your phone isn't a need, anon.
>>
>>52198884
>implying you want THE spying device (not just nsa, but anyone who gains access to an android smartphone is able to use it for this purpose)
Features:
camera (two of them, maybe HD or even 4k)
multiple microphones (record env. audio)
GPS
acceleration sensors
etc.

Why is it even possible that a simple sms can brick the phone?
Why does a mobile platform use resource heavy stuff (one JVM for each app), "normal" processors --> slow as fuck
Why do I need a Quad-core in my pocket to run a simple SMS-Application with decent speed (Scrolling)
Why are modern phones so '*ยง!$"% slow?

"Normal" phones (from the good ol' days) reacted promptly whenever I typed on the keyboard.

>tl;dr modern phones are shit
>>
>>52198213
true
carrier unlocked?
>>
>>52198253
>The upfront price for the new iPhone/Galaxy phones will go from $299 to $899. If you dont have that then you either dont get a phone or you end up paying even more during the leasing process.
or you could just not buy a fucking flagship
I own an android phone from 2012, which I bought in early 2014. It cost me about a hundred bucks to own it outright. It makes calls, sends texts, all that happy crap. Stop listening to Jews telling you that buying a thousand-dollar phone is essential to your happiness and daily life.
>>
>>52198201
tmobile has been doing this for years.
>>
File: 1446086203493.png (294 KB, 390x630) Image search: [Google]
1446086203493.png
294 KB, 390x630
I straight up buy my phones so this shouldn't be a problem for me
>>
>>52200074
>I own an android phone from 2012, which I bought in early 2014
To bad you aren't going to get security updates for that.
>>
Get a fairphone 2 it's build to last
>>
>>52200143
>phone
>security updates
lol cucks
>>
File: le NSA face.png (11 KB, 346x291) Image search: [Google]
le NSA face.png
11 KB, 346x291
>>52200143
I put CM on it. Also remember, it's a phone. It's a tracking device. The business model of most app developers is to collect data on you and sell it to admen. You shouldn't be doing anything sensitive, or even particularly important, on it in the first place.

If you would be seriously inconvenienced for more than 24 hours by your phone getting cryptolocker, or being lost or stolen, then you're doing things on it that shouldn't be done on a phone.
>>
>>52198253
The upfront price of those phones has always been 800$ you twat.

You still pay off your phone through the contract if you get it for $199.
>>
File: Mnd1inA.jpg (46 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
Mnd1inA.jpg
46 KB, 514x536
>>52199278
Perhaps because you have a giant 4k screen and background apps running?
It's like wanting a laptop from the 90's because firefox is lagging on your normal pc.
>>
>>52198253
Yeah and what the fuck are you doing buying a samsung or apple phone you fucking meme
>>
>getting your phone from your carrier
>financing a phone

Surely no one here is that stupid, right?
>>
>>52200454
No It's because android is slow
Why can't the apps be programmed to be resource friendly. like back in the day (speaking of the 90s) when memory was expensive (ram) and programs had to have good memory management (speaking of android as being bloated)

>inb4 but memory is not expensive in [Current Year]
no that doesn't matter
Only because memory is cheap today doesn't mean you can waste it.
>>
>>52200574
without any app running, android consumes more than 600 Mb of ram
and that's on Cyanogen Mod already WITHOUT any 3rd party SH** apps
>>
>>52200285
It's not about securing data on the phone from others, it's the problem of getting hacked (by receiving a specific SMS, or navigating to a website with the stock android browser by accident(but whoe does that?))
>>
>>52200671
the point is that there shouldn't be anything on the phone that the hackers want - no email accounts, banking apps, social media, etc
>>
>>52200703
>no social media, no email

So this eliminates the need for the 'smart'-phone.
The purpose of it is to communicate.
Without these two (and I count SMS and phone as social media) you can't do anything besides: gaming + browsing the web
There are devices for these purposes:
mobile consoles + Laptops

SMARTPHONE == useless
>>
>>52198253
>Its BS honestly.
The only difference is, it's more obvious that you are buying a phone on credit. How is it bullshit?
>>
>>52200899
Are you dumb? You say that if you use your phone for just browsing the web and stuff you're better served with a laptop, but you seem to have missed the memo that laptops can also utilize email and social media.

This is also completely ignoring the many things you can do on a smartphone that aren't risking your personal data like reading a book, listening to music, navigating with a map app, a portable calculator if you need to ever find X for some reason, an alarm clock, et cetera et cetera.

Like, seriously bro, are you dumb?
>>
>>52198201
>actually defending contract plans
Holy fucking hell just kill yourself.
>>
>>52200611
>SH**
Triggered.
>>
>>52200975
>
mp3 player that uses aaa batteries and lasts for a week of nornal use
> book
Yeah, on a tiny screen (also e-paper in w-readers)
> calculator
Use normal sci. calculator
> map
ok you beat me there (openstreetmap ia good)
> alarm clock?
Doesn't anyone here use a digitsl wrist watch?
>>
>>52201079
first > was meant to be
>music
>>
>>52201079
You're missing the point. Yes, the specific tool is better, but you can have all those things in one device. It's convenient. That's why one would buy a smartphone and not keep personal information on it.

I reiterate my previous question:

>Are you dumb?
>>
>>52200132
Same here.
>>
File: nokia-222.jpg (49 KB, 805x595) Image search: [Google]
nokia-222.jpg
49 KB, 805x595
Im thinking about getting a dumbphone. All i need is a mp3 player,way to check email, and gps (which i hardly use). Anything else seems child tier.
>>
>>52201136
thx
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.