[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I took the bait. Leak testing now then putting it all back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
So I took the bait.

Leak testing now then putting it all back together.

How much more performance will I actually see with this over the h100 I had?
>>
>mainstream quad

Likely none at all. You'll probably get a slight noise reduction.
>>
File: 1437787887305.webm (214 KB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
1437787887305.webm
214 KB, 400x265
>>52198034
>dcp
Should have bought a better pump anon.
Also, that tube routing is a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>52198034
Probably none. Much more elegant and future-ready solution though. Might be able to squeeze a couple extra hundred MHz out of it if you're willing to up the voltage a bit. Looks pretty good.
>>
>>52198034
Can I ask you an honest question?
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Why do custom water cooling people spend so much to get 2-3^C cooler temps, as if it makes any difference? Why do people watercool at all?
There are now a handful of air coolers on the market that match the best clc's and dont require any maintenance or worry of a leak. They have the ability to last 10 years without an issue, and usually are just as quiet, if not quieter then a pump.

The only reason I see is aesthetics.
>>
>>52199513
>Why do custom water cooling people spend so much to get 2-3^C cooler temps, as if it makes any difference?

cheap watercooling setups like OP may only get 2-3c, but proper expensive watercooling setups will be in the region of 10-15c less (with a graphic card or two in the loop) under load and will usually be quieter and require less fans

>There are now a handful of air coolers on the market that match the best clc's and dont require any maintenance or worry of a leak.

clc's don't require maintenance, that's part of why people buy them

air coolers will beat clc's, maybe cheap watercooling setups, but definitely not a balls deep watercooling setup
>>
>>52198034
>liquid cooling

How's the fifth grade going?
>>
You really wont see much of an increase.
Watercooling is a hobby. Not a practical solution.
It is expenisve and you have to maintain it.

If you get into the guts quite regularly too you have to drain the loop and refill it.

It is only really worth it for graphics cards but even now they have aio coolers for them too.
The only major plus it brings to the table is noise reduction.

So if you like the look of it and how it makes your system unique then who cares what people think.
>>
>>52199513
Where do you live?

Come to Australia. The last few weeks have been in the 36-42*c range here. On air, my CPU and cards hit 80-90*c

Now they sit on 55*c under full load and with heavy overclocks. That's why some people do it.
>>
>>52199611
>CLCs don't
Because you throw them away when they break.
>>
>>52199813
you're so fucking poor you don't have air conditioning? maybe you need to adjust your priorities.
>>
>>52199940
>Moving the goalposts
>>
>>52199813
Australian here.
Can confirm my graphics card idle temp has been 45-50C in a full tower case.

This Melbourne heatwave has been cooked. Literally.
>>
This only matters if you're playing a lot of vidya or do GPU intensive tasks, but won't you get lot more performance gains in watercooling your GPU instead? CPUs don't generate anywhere as much heat as a GPU does!
The difference of a CLC to a custom watercooling loop for CPU is very little in terms of how much more overclocking headroom you see for real world performance gains. But for a GPU, going from air to water gives a lot better temps and way higher overclocking capability.
>>
>>52199940
>I can afford a $6,200 PC yet cannot afford air conditioning.

I have a fully ducted, split system air conditioner for both the upstairs and downstairs rooms.

So now that your statement was answered, you're getting all aggressive. Are you a child? Or is it you who is poor and cannot afford water cooling? Hmm?

>>52200009
We coped it in Sydney after it ripped through SA. It'd be a change for you buys because it's fuckin miserable weather in the Winter there
>>
>>52200009
Mate, I'm fucking sick of it too. Although, next week I'm moving into a house that actually has aircon, so thank fuck for that.
It's a comfy 16° with light rain where I am now.
>>
>>52200012
P much. The perf gains aren't there anyway.
590 stock/block 80~c/30c.
6680 sli stock/block 85-90/30
>>
>>52200047
>Coldest winter on record
>Hottest summer on record

Shit has hit the fan.
A couple of weeks ago it was 43 for like three or four days in a row.

I caved and bought a h110i and a full tower.
It is hot enough to leave a pan outside and fry an egg. Imagine what its doing to my poor 2600k.
>>
>>52200150

Because you're totally going to leave your computer outside of the house and under the sun right?
>>
>liquid cooling
>>
>Water-cooling a poorfag CPU

Ayy Lmao, come back when you have a 5960X.
>>
>>52198034
Unless you're pushing 5ghz oc,liquid cooling will only be beneficial at reducing sound
>>
>>52200799
Eliminating perceivable sound.
Proper open loops are practically silent.
>>
>>52200827
fans are loud
wc is not loud so loud
Learn to fucking read
>>
>>52200852
Fans CAN be loud.
When you have massive surface area and radiators with wide fin spacing, you don't need topkek RPM to cool the liquid.
Learn to not be a fuckwit.
>>
>>52200884
We are agreeing on the same fucking thing you autistic faggot.
>>
>>52200936
kek
>>
>>52199513
Wonder how an aircooled system could keep my 4670k 4.7Ghz below 40 degrees, exactly not
>>
File: 2248581.jpg (32 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
2248581.jpg
32 KB, 200x250
>>52200936
I'm not autistic, YOU'RE autistic!
>>
>>52200621
Good joke fuckwit. My ambient room temperature is constantly 30-35 C
Sometimes more.
>>
>>52199513
+less noise
+more voltage/better OC's
+better aesthetics
+trying something new/unique

-costly
-maintenance

If you can deal with the negatives then why not? if you're anything like me by the time you've built your 3rd generic, "plug and play" computer you want to try someone else. WC is the natural progression.
>>
>>52202300
So, question to all the people saying maintenance, what is your understanding of maintenance on an open loop?
>>
>>52198034
I leak test with compressed air or nitrogen. Much better and safer than water.
>>
>>52203585
You can leak test with water and not have anything other than the pump powered up, you know that right?
>>
>>52203556
Generally just topping the res up when needed, you can clean out the blocks and change the fluid every couple of years or so if you really want to. I end up cleaning mine out every 6ish months whenever i upgrade just for the sake of it and they are always spotless inside.

My friends been running the system I built him for 2 years now without as much as cleaning the filters, still runs fine.

That being said, I've seen people with quite a lot of gunk buildup from having bad chemical reactions with the fuild/corrosion from disimilar metals/dirty rads/etc etc.

As long as you pick out the right parts you should be good.
>>
>>52203783
>Clean out the blocks and shit
I just run diluted vinegar/water for a few hours every 6 months or so. I run clear tops for the specific purpose of visual inspections.

Putting a QDC at the bottom of the loop works wonder if you don't have one installed, btw.
>>
Screw liquid cooling. I'm building my new rig this week around the 6600k and air cooling it. I leave my pc on 24x7 and there is no way I would have water in it.
>>
>>52201582
Living in Puerto Rico, I know this feel year around.
>>
>>52203626
Yes, but air will reveal a leak faster especially at 20+ psi. And its less messy if there is a leak.
>>
>>52198034
>How much more performance will I actually see with this over the h100 I had?
Probably not as much as you think.

Your system might be quieter and possibly have lower temps

But how high you can OC also largely depends on luck with respect to the chip lottery.

Could that money have been spent better ? its very possible.
Consider that the money spent on some HSF or CLC might have gone towards a better cpu instead.

What provides better value for money ?
better cpu + budget HSF or lower cpu + more OC headway with better qaulity HSF/CLC
>>
>>52204325
Personally I think 20PSI of pressure in blocks and seals isn't the best idea, but if it works for you I guess it works.
>>
File: 1940943.jpg (47 KB, 514x511) Image search: [Google]
1940943.jpg
47 KB, 514x511
>>52199513
>"Can I ask you a question?"
>Goes ahead and asks
>>
CLC too expensive, particularly with 2 480mm rads
>>
>>52199813
Maybe you should consider investing in proper air conditioning
>>
>>52204473
You just KNOW whatever pours out the their mouth after 'can I axe you a question' is pretentious and from an opinion you cannot change.

Fuck those guys.
>>
>>52199791
if you live in LA in the summer and you water cool your cpu AND gpu in the same loop, theres a HUGE difference between a custom and having a h100 and just stock shit-cooling on your gpu. especially if you have a furyx or 980ti
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.