[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: install_arch.jpg (519 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
install_arch.jpg
519 KB, 2170x1070
Did you install Arch this year?
>>
>>52197523
Last year I did. Like, um... six times I think.
>>
> meme distro
>>
>>52197523
Why bother? Debian has a better package manager and more packages and that's what a distribution is all about.

The rest of the rice and fluff can be applyed to any distro.
>>
>>52197523
No, did it 4 years ago, when laptop died i simply moved the HDD to my new one.
Will try migrate the system to a SSD next month
>>
not yet but i did 8 arch builds in 2015. yaourt is godlike.
>>
No. Debian has more useful repos and half the time Sid does the """bleeding edge""" thing better anyway. Even when I used Arch a few years ago, I refused to use the security and dependency nightmare that is the AUR.
>>
>>52197523
Yeah, installed arch yesterday in a VM.
>>
File: 1416523170660.jpg (227 KB, 1488x1067) Image search: [Google]
1416523170660.jpg
227 KB, 1488x1067
>>52198595
>>52197707
lets play a game relicfags

this is arch AUR where you can look up packages
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/

pls provide similar search interface for debian packages
Then we can start to actually compare if we find stuff from AUR actually available on debian.

I highly doubt that debian is anywhere comparable
>>
>>52197523
I'm actually doubting between Debian (maybe #!++), Arch (maybe Manjaro) and Gentoo tbqh
>>
>>52197523
>Shitty Apps guy
No one wants your shitty design or info graphic.
I've seen a better install guide in flt and the guy actually listens to feedback.
>>
>>52198852

The website actually has something similar. You can search a package and even see what branches it was in. But again,

"Even when I used Arch a few years ago, I refused to use the security and dependency nightmare that is the AUR."
>>
File: 1448806294664.png (2 MB, 2720x8048) Image search: [Google]
1448806294664.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
>>52198964
I listen too, thats why the the infographics actually evolved and changed over time and got good.

But some of the people on 4chan are not the most rational, shocking claim I know...
and I cant just give in to any random retard being loud with no facts or arguments

And Ive seen the other guys work, why didnt you post it if you like it that much?
here it is I believe
its fine... feels more professional, but I am not a fan.

While it claims its not a replacement for the beginners guide, I feel it is exactly that.
Its too hand holding wall of text in the begging of the installation, going in to very details assuming readers dont know lsblk and how to uncomment stuff...
while at the same time skimping on the later part of general installation - xorg/DE choices, xinitrc start of the -DE
which is exactly the beginners guide approach.
>>
I did, then I did my first pacman -Syu and the shit stopped working, went back to xubuntu and haven't looked back.
>>
I'll try Archbang this year
>>
>>52198870
Don't use #!++, use Bunsenlabs. Much better community support than #!++.
>>
>>52199052
Use one of probly 20 aur helpers to manage depends for you.Key signing is a thing aswell
>>
>>52199565
idk if I'd recommend that. I'd just go manjaro if you're trying to get your toes wet. or the other arch clone that I can't remember the name of. think it also started with an 'A'
anyways, archbang seems really depreciated. or just install arch. it really isn't that hard
>>
>>52198852
I'm going back to Debian stable on my laptop. Too much shit was breaking in Fedora when I'd update. I'd never even consider Arch
>>
>>52199673
Thanks for the heads up
>>
File: 1378408673564.gif (1011 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
1378408673564.gif
1011 KB, 500x245
>>52197523
I'm fucking trying okay? It's killing me. It's fucking KILLING ME!
>>
should have an encryption howto, it's not as easy as the other distros that actually have a sane setup.
>>
>>52197523
This chart has some little issues. You should install wpa_supplicant, iw and dialog if you are using WiFi so that you can use wifi-menu if you fucked something up. I recall that the mkdir for the bootloader was wrong, but that appears to be fixed. When you add the loader entries for UEFI, you should used the PARTUIID instead of /dev/sda1 because multiple storage devices could screw it up.
>>
>>52199875
yeap, wifi is not considered at all, maybe once...
But I do like UUID instead of sdx
>>
>>52199434
>why didnt you post it if you like it that much?
Because I didn't save it as I don't need it?
>skimping on the later part of general installation - xorg/DE choices, xinitrc start of the -DE
Thats okay since it is not a part of Arch installation. The choices are highly arbitrary and the regarding setup is different. For example Cinnamon doesn't need gvfs but xfce do. KDE needs plasma-nm
DE choices are a huge topic and you dont want them to take the major part in your guide
Users will not require to move their xinitrc to home if they dont really have to, it's pretty much like the Architect
>>
No, because I did two years ago and I haven't needed to reinstall since.
Thank god for rolling releases.
>>
>>52199861
zero hard drive
mkfs.XXX /dev/sda
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda1 < read the fucking manual and do your own fucking setup
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 sda1
ta dah copy your data over and you're done.
>>
>>52199861
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS
step by step
>>
>>52198852
>>52199684
top kek
>It's so great we have a user maintained rep filled with security hazards. We're just as good as your well maintained repo
>>
>>52200323
>well maintained
Ill just trust this guys PPA
Why? Because I googled it out thats why!
>>
>>52197523
>editing pacman.conf to add some random french repo just to get yaourt when there's easier ways

literally why
>>
Now what?
>>
I can't recall... Either this year or last year, but I did not like it. After 6 months I said 'thanks, but no thanks' and went back distro hopping until I ended up with Ubuntu with i3wn
>>
>>52200423
sudo pacman -S screenfetch
screenfetch

post again
>>
>>52200323
AUR isn't a replacement for coreutils. There's no implicit security. It's just easier than copy-pasting git urls like you do with whatever ancient distro your defending.
>>
>>52200423
please tell us the easier way.
adding one line to a file doesn't sound so hard.
>>
>>52197523
>reboot PC
What the fuck? What windows user wrote this install guide?
Have they never heard of arch-chroot?
>>
File: le-arch-distro.png (78 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
le-arch-distro.png
78 KB, 1200x1200
>>52197523
>>
>>52200538
well it's easier in part, but really every time you update your shit it has to update that repo and it's nonsense since all you gotta do is download the PKGBUILD from the AUR webpage and run a script to install two things, btw i'm not that guy, but having a repo just for one package it's simply a waste and the reason most Arch linux users don't use debian or the like in the first place i.e a repo for one fucking package

use that image and install both packages from here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

and you're done, it's not easier but you're not messing with unnecesary shit
>>
>>52200538
Easier way is the recommended way:
>Download snapshot
>Untar package
r>un makepkg -sri
Why is it so hard? see >>52199434 's picture
>>
>>52200646
Broadcomfag here, we have to reboot atleast once for driver issues.
>>
>>52201063
the snapshot has some dependencies that aren't part of base-devel that you have to repeat that process for. But really only a few so there's a few more steps than you're letting on but not a lot.
>>
>>52200850
or you could just install aura
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aura
>>
Got Arch with Gnome. How the heck do you even rice gnome
>>
shitty apps guy got rekt on /r/reddit
>>
>>52197707
>Debian has a better package manager and more packages and that's what a distribution is all about.
Holy shit you could not be more wrong.
>>
>using yaourt instead of aura

kek
>>
>>52201967
You don't. If you want that whole windows/osx-like UI use xfce.
>>
>not rolling your own os cia niger

laughingtravistempleos.god
>>
File: 1241561356.jpg (55 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1241561356.jpg
55 KB, 1366x768
>>52197523
yeah, yesterday
>>
>>52197574
Pretty much
>>
>>52199861
make encryption with other distro that provide nice gui installer livecd.
>>
>>52197523
Yes but X froze when I was trying to finish something important for work. Lost half or more of my progress. I reinstalled Debian and things don't fuck up anymore
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.