[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk router software! I have a netgear wnr1000v2,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: myRouter.jpg (165 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
myRouter.jpg
165 KB, 1200x1200
Let's talk router software!

I have a netgear wnr1000v2, and want to run open source firmware on it. Got plenty of linux experience, but none on routers.

Anyone's got any experience with dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato or anything similar?

And: What other fun can be had running open source router firmware?
>>
Okey, I think I've decided on openwrt — seems like the most fun. But then again, I don't have too much time fucking around with it (maybe one evening to get it up, and another one to secure it). Is it too optimistic?
>>
I put dd-wrt (I think it was) on a couple of friends' router that was acting up on its stock firmware. It took very little time to get up and running with no prior experience, so you're definitely not being too optimistic.
>>
>>52191701
I cringe everytime I hear dd-wrt. OpenWRT is probably much better, but I've never used it.

dd-wrt always feels so janky. Custom scripts always fuck up or run at the wrong time.
>>
>>52191920
>OpenWRT is probably much better, but I've never used it.
Opinion discarded
>>
>>52191940
I still think he's right though, from what I've read openwrt is much closer to my way of approaching tech, so going for that.
>>
>>52191994
>from what I've read
Opinion discarded
>>
>>52192012
> Reading your post
Opinion discarded
>>
>put ddwrt
>fuck up password setup
>ddwrt had bug that disabled reset button
>can't get in router admin page
>fuck
>>
>>52191940
>>52192012
>you
post discarded
>>
>>52192172
kek.

Not using ddwrt then...
>>
How stable would you say openwrt's trunk is? It seems like my router (wnr1000v2) is only supported there, and am running my wiki, website and owncloud behind it, so need a decent uptime.
>>
>>52192172
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.debrick
>>
>>52192172
ever heard of TTL Serial cables before?
>>
Duuudes, logged in with telnet, and appaerently it's already running openwrt kamikaze! I guess that should make my life easier.
>>
DD-WRT is like a router firmware on steroids. It has a bunch of features added but at the end of the day it still works and feels like a router firmware. Whether that's a good thing or bad is a matter of opinion.

OpenWRT is much closer to a normal linux distribution. It's possible to do everything without every touching the GUI once.
>>
Shibby tomato is the best ive found. Most everything can be done through gui. Updates a couple of times a year. And in 3-4 years, ive never had to restart my router because it was slow, locked up, etc.
>>
Came on the thread expecting CNC routing.
Got excited.

Then I remembered the shithole i'm at.
>>
>>52194708
wat. A cnc thread would shitholify /g/ more than a thread of router hacks.
>>
Woop! Finally up and running with openwrt after compiling from trunk.

Any post-installation tips?
(apart from setting passwds and stuff)
>>
>>52191701
About router software, if I'm looking at pfsense, what sort of hardware would I need to handle NAT/firewall for a 1Gbps connection?

Currently testing out my Asus AC68U, but in case it can't reliably handle the speed I'd rather try to build a pfsense machine than spend $300+ on some spiderbot looking "high end" consumer router that may still shit itself. If I could get a low-power, 1Gbps pfsense router going for $300 or $400 tops, I'd rather do that.
>>
>>52197249
Just skimmed about pfsense — isn't it just a firewall on steroids? Why do you need such a powerful machine for it? y no pi?
>>
>>52197348
I don't expect to need much, but the key point is the 1Gbps connection.

A Pi would definitely not be fast enough, first of all it only has a single 100Mbps NIC and secondly the CPU would certainly be too slow. Consumer routers with faster ARM chips barely handle 300Mbps if they're not using some nebulous "hardware acceleration" feature.
>>
>>52197249
get the cheapest dual-core celeron they make, and it'll be fast enough.
>>
>>52197419
Right, gotcha. I need to learn more about what's actually going on inside our routers.
>>
>>52197482
That sounds good. Do you think some Atoms would be up for the job, or would they be too shitty?
>>
>>52197792
it'd probably work, at least for the current-gen atoms, which are less shitty than they used to be. But I'd still get a proper CPU if I could. You're not a datacenter operator, saving five watts isn't going to make fuck all difference to anything.
>>
>>52197249
>>52197792
>>52199469
I'm running pfSense on a 2 generation old Atom box with a 1Gbps connection.

It works great, you don't need that beefy hardware.
>>
>>52201354
That sounds good, I'll keep that in mind.

My AC68U with Merlin seems to be doing pretty well though, getting 920+ Mbps on speedtest and I've seen torrents hit over 100MB/s, if it won't freeze/slow down I'll probably keep it for now.
>>
I got on of those old Linksys WRT54G for 10 bucks and installed DD-WRT. On it, its okay but remember its just a damn home router with a micro Linux distribution on it
>>
>>52201625
At the same time, it's a damn home router with a micro Linux distribution on it.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.