[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /g/'s opinion of Perl? What do you use it for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: perl.jpg (28 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
perl.jpg
28 KB, 600x600
What's /g/'s opinion of Perl? What do you use it for?
>>
>>52191141
It's fucking awesome.
Use it for everything.
>>
>>52191141
Cryto message from sockets to drivers at a complex and easy speed.

I also programming automated port jamming programs.

>I can use regex with perl :)
>>
Useless. A fucking primitive shitlanguage. There's no reason to start new projects in it.
>>
Broken.
>>
>>52191488
this. C and Perl are the only languages you'll ever need. I even write web apps in Perl with Catalyst.

>>52191526
python fangirl detected. enjoy your whitespace
>>
>>52191526
But there is a lot of use when it comes to solving long and string related code.

Oh you want a program which defines a subset of strings and variables but want it to execute with the pure dedicated memory space, and while checking that that memory is still used
>>
Didn't you see 32c3? That shit is broken.
>>
The reference system is garbage, the object system is garbage, half the libraries don't believe in unicode, unix-style punctuation variables are stupid, dynamic typing sucks. I think I had other complaints, but it's been too long.

It's a horrible language with no design, cobbled together with duct tape and rubber cement, just like the shit that used to get written it it. It should have been thrown out and redesigned from scratch with v4. I used to be drawn to it by the hacker/greybeard mystique sometimes associated with it until I actually started writing things in it and I realized it's only the PHP of the early 90s.
>>
>>52191870
Well, now we have perl 6. From what I have seen of it, it looks pretty awesome. It even has a cross product operator.
>>
>>52191870
>It's a horrible language with no design, cobbled together with duct tape and rubber cement, just like the shit that used to get written it it. It should have been thrown out and redesigned from scratch with v4.
So its the Linux of programming languages.
>>
>>52191141
i use it for system administration and text processing and anything not done with a compiled language
>>
It doesnt do anything i couldnt do in bash with sed and awk.
>>
>>52191543
>python fangirl detected. enjoy your whitespace

Yes, annoying Python users is a legitimate use.

I also use it whenever I want a quick answer, want to process some text, or wrangle files.
>>
ugly. useful as fuck. You just write something and run it.
>>
Dead language. It's the scripting version of COBOL.
>>
>>52191141
What's /g/'s opinion on Gay sex? What do you use it for?
>>
>>52198169
Sounds like Python, except Python is beautiful af
>>
>>52199682
Same thing I use perl for
I don't
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.