[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how is math used in computer science? how could a CS major benefit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1451314787598.gif (1 MB, 305x360) Image search: [Google]
1451314787598.gif
1 MB, 305x360
how is math used in computer science?
how could a CS major benefit from a minor in math?
>>
File: botnet.jpg (17 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
botnet.jpg
17 KB, 634x356
>>52191021
>>
File: 1451235518860.gif (938 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1451235518860.gif
938 KB, 280x210
>>52191027
great reply Judith
>>
> how could a CS major benefit from a minor in math?

In every way, makes your coursework easier by doing more math and it is nice to put on a CV.
>>
>>52191021
Expect proofs in theory of computation and theory of algorithms.

Graphics and numerical analysis do a lot of matrix stuff.

Digital logic design and discrete mathematics do a lot of boolean algebra.

Discrete maths also deals with shit like sets and the like.

If you have a programming language design and implementation class you'll be doing some lambda calculus.

AI will be using predicate calculus.

Compiler theory will be using NFAs and DFAs and shit, usually you learn that in thoery of computation class.

I'm sure there are things I missed but this is the math I've done so far as a 3rd year student in some 3rd world country.
>>
>>52191072
so how does that exactly help me write html
>>
Do we really need math degrees now that you can pin the calculator app to taskbar in windows 10?
>>
>>52191309
>>52191284
>how does training my brain to solve problems help me solving problems
>>
>>52191284
You don't do comp sci to write HTML. Or most programming out there, really.

It's usually not worth it.
>>
File: 1451241875331.gif (473 KB, 297x212) Image search: [Google]
1451241875331.gif
473 KB, 297x212
>>52191329
kek
>>
>>52191039

You got the ID of this JAV?
>>
how are computers used in computer science?
how could a CS major benefit from owning a computer?
>>
>>52191072
What about crypto? Is that a meme as far as math goes?
>>
>>52191021
You won't benefit anymore. More employers are catching on the 4 year CS degree mill scheme and the only thing that will benefit you in the future is a passion in the work you're doing.
>>
Most answers are at the expected level /g/, full of retards pre-teens.
Let's see if you get it right for once:

CS != programming

CS goes beyond that, as someone said, problem solving.

Programming is just a tool, and in case you got a CS degree you prolly will be leading a team of monkeys to do the actual programming for you.

To learn a deeper level of maths than percentages and such are not useful in case you are a normie such yourselves, but only for deeper understanding and development of complex problem-solving algorithms.

Also, Google why computer science is a science, pretty much sums it up.
>>
>>52191072
Amen brah
>>
>>52191559
Simply said. CS is more about how problems are solved using software.

>P - NP
You can solve a problem that has a ending to it in a polymorphic time

But how do you solve the best solving to winning a chess game? You simply can't. Why is once strategy better then the rest? Time? winning?
Or better yet, how can a computer solve the best moves for sudoko? again the computer cannot come up with a correct solution since all answers are correct.
>>
>>52191614
*using computers.

I feel bad for saying software.
>>
>>52191614
>>52191630
Oh yes. That's about it. Heuristics, reductions, approximations, verifications, optimal solutions, etc.
>>
>>52191436
haven't taken crypto yet so I don't know. Though I've seen people discussing it, there's certainly math in there.
>>
>>52191689
It is amazing how this issue is something is drives us.

Simple to solve, harder to prove
>>
>>52191284
I know you're joking, but webdev does make use of theoretical CS. Things like large-scale services would make use of concepts like Amdahl's law, caching techniques, database concepts and the like.
Front end web might be a bit light on theory but programming language theory and the like come to play if you ever want to parse JS or HTML or for one reason or the other implement a browser.

Don't forget that networks (not just computer networks) are also explored in mathematics, and computer networks are what you use to access the web.

I've found that CS is more about making tools rather than using them. Things like programming languages, compilers, operating systems, database management systems and the like. You don't need CS to write HTML, you need it to implement the browser that understands it.
>>
>>52191436
>are things that I am too stupid to understand just a meme?

might as well just kill yourself if that's the way you're going to look at things
>>
>>52191021
very little.
math classes are the shittiest classes in cs.
>>
>>52191426
Computers aren't really used except for a few classes. You can just use the computer lab if you need one.
>>
>>52191021
This is how I know you are still in high school.
This board became a joke
>>
>>52192694
>You can just use the computer lab if you need one.
Or a long strip of paper, a pencil and an eraser.
>>
>>52191021
Computer science is applied math. Its inherently mathematical. OP is a fucking retard. Kill yourself.
>>
>>52192709
Yeah but the professor told you to mail the Eclipse project as a zip file

>tfw forced to use Java
>>
>>52191021
>how is math used in computer science?

You use set notation, logical quantifiers and the occasional induction. That's it.

>how could a CS major benefit from a minor in math?

If you're not bored to death in CS then you way too stupid to learn real math.
>>
>>52192749
>Computer science is applied math

Lies and slander

>>52191480
This
>>
>>52191329
/thread
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.