[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo /g/, does anyone else here double-choke when using ferrite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: bibead.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
bibead.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Yo /g/, does anyone else here double-choke when using ferrite beads? I've always used a single bead but wondering what your thoughts are.

ITT: general ferrite bead discussion
>>
File: pases.png (49 KB, 216x182) Image search: [Google]
pases.png
49 KB, 216x182
Nah bro, a single bead wrapped multiple times will be just as good. My download speeds are about 5% faster with this on the end
>>
File: clipon.jpg (245 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
clipon.jpg
245 KB, 1620x1080
>>52189795
>>52189809
>>52189809

> 2016
> not using clip-on ferrite
> mfw
>>
I don't use them, design a proper filter...
>>
>>52189795
What does it do?
>>
>>52189795
>>52189809
>>52189824
This shit looks kinda dumb. It doesn't interact with the signal. What's the point?
>>
>>52189853
filter high EM interference
useful for sensitive shit like phone lines and stuff
>>
>>52189869
It does interact with the signal. I put ferrite on all of my cables and it makes almost everything better. Mouse sensitivity, monitor image quality/refresh rate, ethernet speeds, etc. Basically anything with a long cable that you don't want to be an antenna.
>>
>>52189869
The self-inductance makes it harder for other interferance to interact with the signal.

So if you have a high-noise environment and your CRC is dropping your packets this will help.
>>
>>52189959
>>52189916
>>52189887
Okay but what about having a shield all through the cable. Don't they usually do that on all cables? Ones I have pulled apart have a kind of foil along the outside of the wires or something similar.
>>
>>52189987
Shielding helps a lot but ferrite beads have an additional bonus on devices with separate power supply/ground, because the increased impedance decreases leaking current through the signal wire.

Preferrably you have both shielding and ferrite beads. Your shield should be low impedance to suck up the interferance from the outside, and the ferrite bead increases the impedance for any common-loop signals.
>>
Snake oil: the thread.
>>
File: Suspicious-kitten.jpg (23 KB, 540x394) Image search: [Google]
Suspicious-kitten.jpg
23 KB, 540x394
Sounds like lotsa ruse to put in a cylinder shaped piece of iron
>>
File: 1372922108536.gif (2 MB, 250x158) Image search: [Google]
1372922108536.gif
2 MB, 250x158
huh, intelligent discussion on /g/? delightful.
>>
S H I T P O S T
H
I
T
P
O
S
T
>>
>>52189809
More loops + More ferrite = More better

>>52190079
Don't spend any money or time on ferrite beads unless you have problems and know how to diagnose it.

One rule of thumb you can use is: If the device came with a cable that had a bead, don't use cables without bead unless you can rely on checksums to drop the packets (slowing down transfer) or don't care about stray bits.
>>
>>52190161
THIS!
>>
getting better flacs on my headphones that i bought for $300 thanks to these little things
>>
Wtf is this meme
>>
>>52190097
They're actually suppossed to do nothing unless there is a part of the signal that travels outside the wire, in which case the piece of iron will act like a coil, picking up the magnetism, creating some resistance against the unbalanced signal in the wire.
>>
>>52190097
the concept of a toroidal core is fundamental to inductor design. in fact, taking linear geometry and twisting it into a circle is a universal tool used across the engineering spectrum.
>>
If you're not matching your ferrite mix to your frequencies you won't see as much of an improvement as you could be getting.

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/materials.htm

Always make sure you're getting the right mix of Maganese and Zinc otherwise your just a dirty casual who knows nothing about being part of the ferrite master-race.
>>
>>52190252
For the love of God stop posting, for once there's a thread about actual technology and we have to see this kinda shit
>>
>>52190182
Literally spat coffee everywhere you douche xD
>>
>not using pebbles
Plebs, all of you.
>>
>>52189795
Get neodymiums
>>
>>52191518
What is the µr of neodymium?
>>
I double choke my chicken while using multi beads in my ass. I find it produces the purest semen.
>>
>>52191605
Buddhists agree: Neodymium has been proven time and time again to have more Ohms than your body has room for.
>>
File: SenpaiFilter.jpg (53 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
SenpaiFilter.jpg
53 KB, 500x499
I have a pair of old school electrostatic headphones, and I found that if I put ferrite on the copper mesh behind the static sheets, I can filter out some of that high-frequency whining that is popular in a lot of modern anime.
>>
>>52191611
Lost.
>>
Is it true that I can use them in place of a balun on my feed line?
>>
>>52191914
>some of that high-frequency whining that is popular in a lot of modern anime.
Females?
>>
>pleb not using triple for extra filtering
>>
>>52192714
>not plugging your cables out for ultimate filtering
>>
i have a ferrite bead around my dick and i can now maintain erections indefinitely
>>
File: pin.jpg (114 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
pin.jpg
114 KB, 1023x682
>>52192779
>>52192779

Oh, dude, that reminds me - last time you were at my place you left your "life times supply" on my bedside table. If you like I can post it back to you. What's your mum's address?
>>
Would a ferrite boad help the speeds of my ADSL2+ connection if i put one around the phone line that goes to the modem?
>>
>>52196686
Depends on your phone number. How many 9's does it have?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.