[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ im a computer science student and have noticed most of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Linux-Versus-Windows-Platform.jpg (14 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Versus-Windows-Platform.jpg
14 KB, 450x300
Hey /g/ im a computer science student and have noticed most of my lecturers use linux distro, programming aside is it worth downloading linux for day to day use? Windows 10 seems like an easy choice due to compatability but i'd like to hear why linux users choose their OS
>>
File: 5435234287989054323.jpg (114 KB, 1056x545) Image search: [Google]
5435234287989054323.jpg
114 KB, 1056x545
>>52189424

>im a computer science student
>never used linux

>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
>>52189424
Try it out in VM or from a live CD/DVD/USB first. Most of us using GNU/Linux here run it on a day to day basis, but that didn't happen overnight. Once you found a distribution that works for you, consider installing it in a dual boot configuration.

You can always remove it, or even remove Windows if you feel really comfortable with your distribution. You'll find that GNU/Linux offers more freedom and a developer friendlier environment than the proprietary alternatives. Good luck.
>>
>>52189532
awesome thanks for the reply that image is helpful I'll download mind and virtual machine and give it a go tonight. Any obvious advantages/disadvantages?
>>
>>52189424
Creamy meme dude
>>
>>52189457
Daily reminder that computer science is not a degree in information technology. I don't expect any CS grad to have any experience in administering and configuring any kind of computer software system.
>>
>>52189457
You would be surprised. I have some friends in the CS department of my university who only learned about Linux in their 3rd year when they needed to use Terminal, GCC and compile code which was not possible on Windows.

Me a business student had to teach the CS guys how to install and run Linux. The morons did not bother reading and install Ubuntu 11.04 when 15.10 was already available, I don't know why.

These guys will be entering the market in one year time. Game over man.
>>
>>52189715
Mint or Ubuntu is fine to get up and running even for a beginniner or expert. I am a veteran and use ubuntu with either i3wm or gnome 3 depending on the mood.

That's all you really need, mint is fine and ubuntu is fine and both are easy to use for a microsoft user. And both are popular and based on debian.
>>
>>52189715
>Any obvious advantages/disadvantages?
Well, I hate point out the giant pink elephant in the room, but installing Windows software is going to be painful. Of course there's Wine (or PlayOnLinux / CrossOver for more user friendlier front-ends), but not everything is going to run as expected. Consult the Wine AppDB for more details for specific cases and application compatibility: https://appdb.winehq.org/

In my experience it's oftentimes much more easier and stable to go for GNU/Linux alternatives.
>>
>>52189934
Yeah windows software will be useless. I have literally gotten wine to work one ONE application the 20 or so different times i have tried. even simple stuff dont neseccarily run. keep your windows partition for "just in case" scenarios, but you dont need it to be very big.
>>
>>52189934
thats my main worry, I play a lot of steam games and I already have issues with compatability being on windows 10 not too keen about not being able to play countless hours of dota csgo and league of legends
>>
>>52189769
>use Terminal, GCC and compile code
huh?
>>
>>52190249
I understand, but know that Steam[1] is also available for GNU/Linux. Dota 2[2] and CS: GO[3] are even natively supported, and LoL[4] can be installed using PlayOnLinux.

[1] http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux
[2] http://store.steampowered.com/app/570
[3] http://store.steampowered.com/app/730
[4] https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1135-League_Of_Legends.html
>>
>>52189424
>is it worth downloading linux for day to day use?

Are you planning to live in a basment for life using a hobby OS?
>>
>>52189758
thus continuing the "computer science majors can't actually program" meme.
>>
>>52189424
>i'd like to hear why linux users choose their OS
Partly just because it's what I'm most familiar with now.

But on Windows sometimes shit is just a mystery. Why can't I check for updates? What files does this program install? Why did this application crash? That basically doesn't happen to me on Linux. I don't claim to understand everything, but if something is misbehaving there's a config file I can edit and a manual I can read. And that's pretty comforting once you're used to it.

Plus, Linux has an actually community around it. There are IRC channels for every distro and aplication you'll touch, and most are quite friendly.

Everything about graphics drivers on Linux sucks, though.
EVERYTHING.

>>52190249
>not too keen about not being able to play countless hours of dota csgo and league of legends
DOTA and CSGO both have Linux versions that work fine, and I think LOL does too.
You should check your games on Steam and see which have Linux builds.
>>
>>52190413
I'm only first year but I've only learned to program in java and C++ and we've only used linux in our networking class. I didn't know there were languages that require linux
>>
>computer science student
>never used linux before
>doesn't know the pros of linux

oh boy, you're one of those guys who fail fizzbuzz, aren't you
>>
>>52190459
>fizzbuzz is hard meme
I had IT in high-school, and even I can do fizzbuzz without having to look something up
>>
>>52190647
No, it's not hard, which is why it's so funny that 1/3rd of CS grads can't do it.
>>
>>52190664
this isnt a thing in australia that I've found
>>
>>52190413
Daily reminder that computer science is not a degree in programming. I don't expect any CS grad to have good programming skills as programming is not the purpose of CS.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.