[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EMERGENCY Cell GPS Location W/O an app installed on locatee's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: cat and flower.gif (2 MB, 298x270) Image search: [Google]
cat and flower.gif
2 MB, 298x270
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but everything else on the internet is saying what I'm asking for is impossible and I refuse to believe it.
My boyfriend stormed out of the house earlier, threatening to sleep outside, and his phone is dead. He is very volatile and he is not in a good mood and I am worried for him :/
My question is this: is there any way for me to locate him through his cell phone without having pre-installed anything on his phone? I don't care if gets an alert or anything, I just need to know that he's safe. Please please please tell me there's something out there, or at least please help to direct me to a better place to ask. I also don't really want to pay for a service I am only going to use one time, so the solution should be free. Thanks /g/uys.
>pic unrelated
>>
Why did he storm out of the house?
>>
Ask /bapho/. They might help you for some buttcoins.
>>
You could possibly install an app remotely from the Google store. Like lookout. Idk if that sill works tho.
>>
>his phone is dead
If it's dead as in battery is dead dead, then you're out of luck.

If you believe he is a danger to himself or others you could notify the police, but depending on circumstances that might just make things worse.
>>
>>52185340
if his phone is dead/off it would be impossible even if you HAD preinstalled something.
>>
>>52185382
If the phone is dead/off then it won't work. At all.

If he's just not answering calls or something OP could try to install something like that. But I think all of those programs need to be ran before they work, and although you can install software remotely you can't run it without starting the app from the phone.
>>
I've heard that you can still be located even when your phone is off, as long as the battery is in??? Is this a myth?
thank you for answering anyway
>>
>>52185340
It is possible to triangulate and find an approximated location, but you can not do it. If it's really serious you should call your local authorities, explain the situation and maybe they will do something (I believe only a judge can authorize this though). Call his parents and get a new boyfriend desu
>>
>>52185354
he didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and I'll admit that I was less than understanding. We just moved so I'm sure he's homesick and stressed out. I'm the only person here he knows and I don't always want to go outside, I'd rather stay in and do my work (I work from home) and read. There's an 'artistic difference' I suppose you could call it (*hah*)
>>
>>52185479
I love his family, and I've already called his mother (she's wonderful), and I know I probably should end the relationship, but I don't really want to. I don't really want to talk about my relationship problems here. Thank you for the advice v.v
>>
>>52185465
It's a myth, more or less. It's possible that the government could do it as long as the battery is in and charged, but someone who would be able to do that for you would charge at minimum tens of thousands of dollars for the service.
>>
>>52185540
damn :/ thanks for putting that fear at rest, at least haha
>>
>>52185465
it is theoretically possible that a government agency could track a cellphone that was off but had the battery in, if there was specifically modified firmware installed on the phone.

in everyday actual life, no it's entirely impossible to track a phone that is powered down. all methods of tracking you could possible access are based on the phone transmitting a signal of some kind, and if it's off, it's functionally identical to a rock in terms of transmitting.
>>
>>52185411
>If the phone is dead/off then it won't work. At all.
Even then most phones still have some communication with the towers.
>>
>>52185540
It's not a myth.
>>
>>52185340
No. It can't be done. That's not how things work. Go to the police if you're that worried.
>>
>>52185612
no, they literally don't. if you're talking about the phone's screen being off or being in 'sleep' mode or etc, than yes, that's true. but actually OFF, there is zero signal output from the phone unless it has been tampered with on a firmware level for tracking purposes.
>>
>>52185622
no. that shit doesnt work, and its fucking bat shit retarded to even bring it up in this garbage made up thread
>>
>>52185580
Except that modern smartphones don't turn off. You have to remove the battery. And some phones even have secondary batteries to retain functionality.

Modern smartphones respond to pings when they're turned off.
>>
>>52185563
Give him some time and space. When he comes back be nice and apologize if you have things to apologize for ("I'll admit that I was less than understanding" could mean anything from you telling him to get his shit together to you bitching at him for hours until he goes nuts).

If you caused the problem, fix your shit. If he did and it's not a one time thing, dump his ass.

>>52185612
Depends on the phone, but I've yet to hear of one which keeps the baseband chip online without modified firmware. Even if it did, good luck getting the telco to track it for you though.

>>52185622
As far as OP is concerned it is. Unless they go to the police and let them deal with it there's no way they're going to get any into that the telco might have.

The NSA can probably do it, but they don't give two shits about helping OP. I'm sure there are other individuals who could as well, but they're neither going to hang out on this norwegian fish mongering board nor will they do something that illegal for free.
>>
1. He'll be fine
2. Suck his dick when he comes back (after he has a shower)
>>
>>52185683
Post proof.
>>
>Can it be done if the phone has no power (dead/off)?
NO
>Can it be done if the phone is on, without any special apps or programs?
Yes, law enforcement agencies can track a phone by "pinging" it from different towers to triangulate its position. All phone companies cooperate with this.
>Can YOU do it?
No
>>
>>52185501
you sound awful
>>
>>52185832
man, maybe i'll sound like a huge white knight, but

>guy storms out on girl
>girl is legit concerned for his wellbeing anyway
>girl admits fault
>works from home and likes to read
>this is an awful girl

i'd really like to live wherever you are. the average bitches i know would be asking /g/ how to properly configure tinder so they could get some dick before the bf gets back.
>>
Tell the NSA that's he's out for a snackbar, they'll find him. They'll probably kill him, too.

Or you could just wait for him to come back around.
>>
>>52185892
This
>>
File: 4L_S55ywMr2.jpg (64 KB, 310x450) Image search: [Google]
4L_S55ywMr2.jpg
64 KB, 310x450
>>52185892
>girl

You have no evidence op is female. Odds are she isn't a she if posting on here instead of facebook/Instagram. True female would post a selfie looking sad/cute on Instagram&facebook and have her orbiters give her advice and compliments.
>>
>>52187054
>implying her orbiters know a thing about tech

I agree though, it's probably some dude trying to creep on a girl that won't give him the time of day
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.