[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ApricityOS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: ApricityOS.jpg (399 KB, 1984x1067) Image search: [Google]
ApricityOS.jpg
399 KB, 1984x1067
What is the opinion of /g/ on ApricityOS?
https://apricityos.com/
>>
>>52182330
>https://apricityos.com/

>for the cloud generation.

You has my interest up until this point
>>
>>52182365
I felt the same when I read that, but when I looked into it, it meant literally absolutely nothing for the OS. It's just another regular linux distro that looks pretty.
>>
Gnome-based clone distro #46793. Nothing new or exciting.

Still waiting for a distro that basically reinvents everything above the kernel to be more cohesive yet still *nix-like, using a Wayland-based from-scratch DE. Now THAT would be interesting.
>>
I love it.
>>
>>52182365
same
>>
>>52182330

One more shit linux distro with custom theme and icons.
>>
>>52182414

http://papyros.io/
>>
Basically I have a five family members most of which don't live together (uni, college etc). They can all manage to use a Linux distro of some kind since their fears of switching from Winblows have been dispelled over a number of years.
The problem is they are terrible people when it comes to backing their shit up and looking after their OS health, all whilst bothering my ass for the latest 'insert blockbuster movie here'.

I have a large NAS at my parents which I upload their demands to. I was looking at this flavour for its simple syncthing integration and ICE since they seem to collectively visit about 10 sites in total. With pushbullet integration on top it seemed like a good idea for keeping everyone in check.

Could anyone suggest a better solution? Thanks.
>>
>>52182365
I think it is referring to the majority of media consumption being cloud based, hence the pushbullet and ICE integration. I could be wrong though and the devs were just vomitting buzzwords everywhere.
>>
>>52182588
>based on Arch
it's cool that their desktop environment is from scratch, but the underlying system is the same GNU/Linux you'd find elsewhere and thus will have 99% of the same weaknesses and problems as any other Linux distribution.

Many of these problems are baked in from years of cruft and misaligned development direction and just won't be solved without a fundamental re-assessment rewrite of just about everything but the kernel itself.
>>
>>52182707
Which OS should I be aiming for in your opinion?
>>
>>52182330
>generic linux distro with custom theme

No
fucks
given
>>
>>52182330
it's a meme
and a shitty one
>>
>>52182707
Put another way, the current Linux developer ecosystem is fragmented way, WAY too much given the striking lack of variety within it. If you filter all current desktop distributions based on uniqueness you end up with like 2 total. That's beyond silly.

>>52182753
Whatever you like because there is no clear "best OS" at the moment. Just the one that fits your preferences best.
>>
>>52182669

Why are they so heavily reliant on Pushbullet? If I'm correct, isn''t Pushbullet basically a proprietary service? Or is it FOSS and I didn't notice?
>>
>>52182799
Anytime I look at Linux distros the only deciding factor for me is how well their package manager is and how well its maintained.

Literally everything else can be installed anyway so custom theme, etc are meaningless to me.
>>
>>52182837
That's definitely the correct approach because the difference between distributions is so minimal that they're meaningless. Distro devs, unless you're going to sweeping and/or fundamental changes, don't bother forking and just do a spin. For instance ElementaryOS should just be an Ubuntu spin. They're not doing *anything* that justifies a full-on fork.

Another thing I'd like to see is more specialization. So for example, a distribution that has desktop usage as its one and only use case and is designed and optimized as such. There's no need for a distribution to be a jack of all trades; I don't NEED to run the same distribution on my desktop, laptop, and server. There's no benefit in that. Distro devs should take advantage of their complete freedom to tweak and tune their OS to the fullest extent, but instead we just get endless gnome forks.
>>
>>52182837

>how well their package manager is

Arch it is then. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: 1438828254117.jpg (49 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1438828254117.jpg
49 KB, 550x535
>>52183026
Why not Gentoo?

We all have good CPUs, compiling is a non-issue right?
>>
>>52183059
I think you missed OPs second post.

Or just very lazy bait.
>>
>>52182330
Another useless piece of shit I'll never use.
>>
looks like a ghetto OSX
>>
File: 1442683815660.jpg (33 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
1442683815660.jpg
33 KB, 600x586
>>52183176
No other distro will by default compile to your architecture for added performance.

I don't get your point
>>
>>52183200
Dude you posted already >>52182571
Let someone else have a go for a change.
>>
>>52182330
Wow another slightly tweaked DE for Ubuntu or fedora. Add it to the pile.
>>
>>52182590
>The problem is they are terrible people when it comes to backing their shit up and looking after their OS health

mfw people always claim windows is the only OS that requires upkeep
>>
>>52182330
an arch fork with ANOTHER gnome fork de
i pass
>>
>>52182330

>Comes with stuff like Steam and Yelp installed
No thanks; it'd be good to have the option to install those, but not have them included out-of-the-box.

>Apricity OS idles at around 500 megabytes of memory usage, as opposed to other popular operating systems that idle at up to several gigabytes.
Good God, which operating system uses "several gigabytes" while idle?
>>
>>52184105
Windows, OS X and most Linux distros.
>>
>>52184264
I use Debian and Xfce or i3. I never go above 200 MB while idle.
>>
>>52184290
Cool stuff
>>
>>52182330
>pushbullet
>>
>>52182330
>ApricityOS
>shit
>>
>>52182330

>https://github.com/agajews/ApricityOS/issues/21
fix this shit before posting your pet OS on /g/, desu
>>
>>52182330
So just elemtary os but with pacman.
>>
>>52182330

Is this another Arch distro? Like Antergos and Manjaro and IDon'tEvenCare?

Instead of reskinning, these distro builders should come up with something innovative. Last time I remember some distro builders creating anything worthwhile was Cinnamon (or the lesser known Budgie Desktop).

Come up with a cool 21st century toolkit or something instead of this shit. You know Linux is doomed when a faux toolkit in a browser like http://www.windows93.net/ is smoother than GTK/KDE/Fuckyfuckysuckysucky.
>>
>>52186844
>http://www.windows93.net/

pic related
>>
So this is ElementaryOS Arch/Gnome Redux. Meh
>>
>>52186871
>joke website looking better than any Linux desktop I've seen so far

top kek
>>
>>52182330

90% of the distributions out there could just be made into custom themes and software packages. This is another one.
>>
Elementary OS should sue them for copying their design.
>>
>>52188420
>their
kek
>>
>>52183222
it's hard for most people to justify the initial time investment for getting a gentoo install up and running
>>
The ICE thing looks cool. Anyone know how to get that effect in Arch? I can only seem to find a shit hacked together script on AUR.
>>
>>52182414
>reinvents everything above the kernel
you're in luck anon. it's called systemd
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.