[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to make and maintain a private email server?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1448541826052.jpg (108 KB, 879x617) Image search: [Google]
1448541826052.jpg
108 KB, 879x617
How hard is it to make and maintain a private email server?
>>
literally takes a day to setup

https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-14.04-apache2-php-mysql-pureftpd-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3
>>
>>52181347
I've literally never had ANY of these howtos work. They are a waste of fucking time. I've tried about 20 different ones. It's almost a better use of time to read through the fucking documentation. Goddamn are email servers in this day and age a fucking quagmire.
>>
>>52181347

NOT OP, I realize that it would take all of that to "do it right," but is there not a really simple way to do it? I want to imagine there is a program you just start up, configure a user account through a wizard, and then you just port-forward the necessary port so it works over the internet and you're good to go.
>>
>>52181327
Not hard to set up but hard to maintain. You really have to know the rfc's and maintain a sharp edge on current best practices.
>>
>>52181407
Yea except every other email server blocks you because your home Ip Is blacklisted
>>
>>52181407
Sorry, such a program does not exist.
>muh configurability
Email servers weren't meant to be setup by nerds in their basement apparently. People need to learn to switch over to shit like bitmessage.
>>
>>52181390
Does your ISP block outgoing mail?
>>
>>52181327
somehow I managed to pull it off with this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostfixBasicSetupHowto

and some googling to resolve dns issues and specific error codes and how to blacklist a crazy ex-gf

it's not hard, but I wouldn't be able to do it again without referring back to that external help

you can then add additional layers of security once you have the basics working.
>>
>>52181407
>port-forward the necessary port

wat?

Anyways yes, e-mail servers are just programs.
Not hard to set up at all.

Problem with e-mail is you want it to be very reliable, always backed-up and if it's your sole e-mail always accessible even when your entire system is utterly fucked or how else are you going to e-mail support?
>>
>>52181448
On 25, yes. But I always follow the setups for SSL over port 465 or 587. Debian 7.

Only thing I want is virtual accounts and SSL auth. I don't need them to be in an sql either. Just postfix->virtual mbox->dovecot.
>>
>>52181780
took me ~15mins using the iredmail package thing
>>
>>52181327
its easy as fuck
>>
>>52181429
Yeah this.
You would have to have some sort of business plan from your isp.
>>
You absolutely must have reverse DNS for your STATIC IP. This makes using a home connection a bit problematic. So your best bet is a cheap vps. Linode is nice because you can take full control of DNS for your IP address.

If you want to be able to send mail to gmail, yahoo, etc addresses then you have to get dkim setup.
>>
>>52181327
Around 3 hours to setup but no one will accept mail from you.
>>
i used to use hmailserver on windows. it was easy and seemed to jus werk.

at least i thought so
>>
>>52181780
>port 587 is submission port
>port 465 has been reassigned by IANA
>port 25 is blocked
How are you going to receive outside mail?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.