[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you read it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
Do you read it?
>>
>>52179893
only to laugh at it
>>
>>52179893
At times, yes
>>
>>52179893
Yes,everyday. It's largely shit though.
>>
>>52179893
Only searching the [PDF] tag; stay the fuck away from the comments.
>>
>>52179977
what is wrong with the comments?
>>
>>52179929
This

HN is as though real people are playing out deleted scenes from Silicon Valley but actually believe it.
>>
>>52179893
Yes, although only a small number of the articles on it interest me.
>>
>>52179986
Pedants trying to one-up each other, which would be useful if they weren't idiots.
>>
Used to read it, but nowadays it's getting full of hispter shit posts that have nothing to do with programming
>>
Yes, because there's really nothing better at what it does. That, and it's not weighed down by 500,000lbs of fucking pointless Javascript, images, and ads. It'd probably render just fine in Netscape 4.7 or some shit, and that's fucking great. More of the web should be that way.

While comments can be dumb, some are actually pretty salient and insightful, and I find that the signal:noise ratio is way better there than at other tech news sites.

That said I have no attachment to it and if something better came along I'd jump ship.
>>
>>52180487
> that have nothing to do with programming

Is there any community (anywhere) where I can find on-topic software dev discussions that aren't molested by memes/shitposts (/g/), and hipster BS (YC)?

Actually even a bit of memes and shitposting is fine, just as long as it's not 90% of the content.
>>
>>52180650
maybe some irc channels related to whatever technology you're interested in?
>>
>>52180650
IRC?
>>
>>52180790
>>52180803
Good suggestion actually. Last time I seem to remember most channels of interest being dead, but it's not like I tried very hard to find active ones.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>52180790
IRC isn't really a replacement for a news aggregator. For discussion of news articles, maybe.
>>
>>52179893
No but I read slashdot.
>>
File: lawl.jpg (16 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
lawl.jpg
16 KB, 300x199
>>52181016
try https://soylentnews.org/
>>
File: so called hacker news.png (43 KB, 984x609) Image search: [Google]
so called hacker news.png
43 KB, 984x609
Occasionally but holy shit can it even be called the "Hacker News" anymore when shit like >pic related happens
>>
>>52180927
I'm not looking for a tech news aggregator with comments, though.

Just something somewhat similar in content to /g/, but without consumer threads, /v/posters, Prajeet C# shills, and replies by fizzbuzz/meme programmers.

On-topic discussion about software development (and related) in general: languages, compilers, OS, programming problems, etc.

Something I'm assuming doesn't exist in one central location. Joining separate IRC channels seems like the closest thing.
>>
>>52181135
this guy ran a hosting company and is offering his perspective

I don't see the problem, why are you salty again?
>>
>>52181172
lainchan dot org/λ/

it's slow and not perfect, but there's some good threads
>>
>>52181185
probably because commenters are often actually part of the industry (can usually be verified too) and have experience to back their opinions up.

Naturally, these people are armchair neckbeards' worst enemies because they can shatter unbacked opinions effortlessly.
>>
>>52180648
>more of the web should render just fine in Netscape 4.7

literal luddite
>>
>>52181228
Hey yeah, not bad.

Thanks friend.
>>
>>52179893
plebian drivvle and clicbait, so no
>>
>>52181308
I don't even own a machine capable of running browsers that old, but it's the principle. It's fine if flashy gizmos and media and stuff don't work on old browsers, but the core content should work at the very least. This is one of the tenants that the web was originally built upon, but now web developers are taking up this nasty attitude of, "well if you don't want scripts out the ass and autoplaying videos, fuck you, you don't get anything". Not only does it exacerbate the issue of browser bloat, but it makes machines that are perfectly capable of handling the core content unusable. These days, it's getting painful to browse the web on a Core 2 Duo, a CPU that handles basically any other day to day PC task with total ease. Go ahead and continue advancing technology, that's great, but don't ruin perfectly usable devices just for the sake of it. It's wasteful and lazy.

- written from a 2.5Ghz quad core Crystalwell laptop with 16GB of RAM
>>
Dropped it awhile ago. It started being more a sjw/startup than "hacker" news.
>>
>>52179986

Reddit tier comment section.
>>
>>52181185
If you read HN you're in the industry and if you're in the industry but don't know what a DDoS attack is, you should just off yourself. And that was the most uparrowed comment
>>
>>52182135
He clearly knows what a DDOS is, so I don't see your point.
>>
>>52182309
Clearly you don't. The popularity of that post tells that the average HN reader (or just of those who happened to read that specific thread) has no clue what a DDoS even is, let alone know the basics of it
>>
>>52182410
Uh, OK. Come back when you have an actual argument to make.
>>
>>52179893
I only use matthewhknight.com
>>
>2016
>not using https://lobste.rs

Anon, I..
>>
Yes. If I'm browsing /g/ or Reddit and I see some interesting news I go look to see if there's a HN thread about it before I bother with the /g//Reddit discussion. It's generally of a higher quality. Lobste.rs looks promising but it sees to get about 10 comments a day.
>>
Yeah, it is way better than >/g/, thanks for the mod team or it would be 4chan/reddit level.
>>
people on HN have a better idea of what they are talking about than the retards on here

just saying
>>
HN is a place to post tech articles and blog posts and have people comment on them. I dont know why anyone in this thread misses that central concept. I dont really care about the comments to these articles as they are usually just flame wars over the said articles. HN is just a weak copy of /r/programming. /r/programming has better articles and comments
>>
Fuck no
>>
>>52182465
i agree with him. part of what made hn valuable was that discussions were insightful and very informative; a phenomenon I attribute to a highly knowledgeable and experienced community.

Somewhen along the lines, idiots became the majority, and the type of links and comments being upvoted reflected this accordingly. PG's 'downvote if this comment hurts you feelings' didn't help either.

I honestly think the amount of useful information I get from hn these days is comparable to /g with all its shitflinging, and if that doesn't say something I don't know what will.
>>
>>52180648
http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
>>
>>52182135
>>52182309

It appears he does have some superficial notion of what a DDoS attack is, but if that's the most upvoted comment on a hacker news site, I would still say it's one to avoid. The whole comment reads more like the first section of a Wikipedia page with all the very basic information about the topic in a few paragraphs. Nothing really indicates he has had experience with an attack like a story about one, which leads me to believe he's lying.
>>
>>52185357
>reddit is better than *
out faggot. get out, slit your wrists, and hope you die before someone finds you.
>>
>>52179893
It has more censorship than even a piece of shit site like reddit.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.