[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do tech companies still feel obliged to put an optical drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Sans titre.png (581 KB, 1024x594) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.png
581 KB, 1024x594
Why do tech companies still feel obliged to put an optical drive on big laptops?
> It takes a lot of space that could be used for something else
> Most people don't even use this anymore
> There's a bunch of cheap external optical drives in case you're one of those who still do
> They're fragile

I'm thinking about buying a 17" laptop but almost all of them still have one.
>>
>buying a laptop at all
Just get some x86 tablet PC and connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it. Problem solved. Get a Surface pro 3/4 if you want something really fancy.

That's what I'm gonna do anyway. I think laptops are obsolete tech now.
>>
>>52176849
muh games
>>
>>52177010
Build a mini itx desktop if you want to play vydias. Laptops are meant for portability not horsepower.
>>
>>52176762
What 17" laptop are you getting, OP?
I've been considering the Aorus X12 Pro-sync
Did you come across one with a good looking sturdy design?
>>
>>52176849
>Just get some x86 tablet PC and connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it.
wow its like a fucking laptop with more shit to charge/batteries to replace then before

>Get a Surface pro 3/4 if you want something really fancy.
There already exists convertables/2-in-1s for less money.

Tablets are great if you just wanna poke around with your fingers and browse the web and some light typing, but for anything serious you need a keyboard/mouse or pointer
>>
Plenty of normies still use optical drives and marketing towards normies is better business
>>
Can someone give me nornal cpu not undervoltaged u version?
And dont post gaymers 1000 apache razer shit
Normal voltage i 3 cpu would be better then snake i5 u
>>
>>52176849
Thank god you use a name so I can ignore your comments immediately
>>
>>52177422
He's a tripfag not a namefag.
>>
>>52177308
>Tablets are great if you just wanna poke around with your fingers and browse the web and some light typing, but for anything serious you need a keyboard/mouse or pointer
That's why bluetooth mice and keyboards exist einstein.
>>
>not being able to rip any disk you want whenever and wherever
I missed the odd when I got my x220t
>>
>>52176849
>filtered
>>
>>52176849
>tablet
>with a mouse
>... and a keyboard
>MUH RETARDATION
>>
Good....good....move away from physical completely so we can completely control your files through DRM
>>
File: Gains.jpg (123 KB, 780x690) Image search: [Google]
Gains.jpg
123 KB, 780x690
>using a laptop in 2016
I love this new meme
>>
>>52177411
They will all be undervolted becaue its just a shitty laptop if it kills the battery in an hour or two.

Nothing you do in with a laptop requires a full fledged desktop CPU, if it does then just get a proper desktop.
>>
>>52177286
X7*
>>
>>52177497
k
>>
>>52176762
Just filter by thickness, most thin ones don't have it. It's more apparent in 15'6 and less.
>>52177520
>having a desktop after 2010
>>
>>52176762
SO I CAN HAVE ANOTHER BAY FOR ANOTHER HARD DRIVE YOU DUMBFUCK
>>
>>52176762
Really?
You're complaining about the optical drive and not the 31337 red gaymur look?
>>
>>52177505
In case you need it. When I get a surface pro 3/4, I'll probably just use the stylus input desu.
>>
>>52177547
>having a desktop after 2010
Have fun with your laptop grade performance. Buy a desktop if you want to do heavy work else just get a tablet you troglodyte. We don't need bulky laptops anymore.
>>
>>52176762
this one doesnt have https://www.powernotebooks.com/Sager-NP8677-Clevo-P670RE-gaming-laptops-notebooks-sys-7742.html
>>
Blu rays are significantly better in quality than any streaming service
>>
>>52177570
>complaining about looks
Global rule 2.
>>52177609
Many laptops past 2006 are able to do any of your "heavy work", and after 2010 there's literally no excuse. I ditched my tower in 2004.
>>
>>52177641
I guess it depends on what you use a computer for. I do heavy video editing so anything with less power than an fx-8350 would be a fucking nightmare for me.
>>
>>52177667
CPUs became on par first, you see for yourself that the only thing improving nowadays is the TDP. Then, with prevalence of SSDs, storage(there are many laptops with more than one slot). And recently GPUs, 500+ cores chips are actually a STANDARD for a dedicated laptop GPUs nowadays, I'm not even talking about SLI enabled ones. What else do you need? Multiple LAN slots? Some Clevos have them. Hell, they build laptops with desktop components.
>>
>>52177759
The only things still lacking are displays and keyboards. But that's certainly not a "heavy work".
>>
>>52177759
Even if they have a laptop with fx-8350 performance ut's gonna cost over $1,000. I only spent $500 for my desktop build.

Actually I'm in need for a desktop with a beefier processor so I'm going to get a zen motherboard and an 8 core zen chip.
>>
>>52177579
To play games? What are you thinking?
>>
>>52177907
Nah, just to browse the web and watch some movies. I would build a mini itx build for vydia.
>>
>>52177127
We aren't in 2012. Nowadays you can play will almost all maxwell mobile gpu. Open your mind, stop live in your world
>>
>>52176762
So?

Removing the optical drive won't make the laptop any smaller, and only a little lighter.

At the very most they could put a slightly bigger battery in.

Just.....don't sperg out over it and ignore it's there?
>>
>>52178337
It is trash and you know it. The only modern game it runs on sufficiently high settings is memetale.
>>
>>52178337
If you buy a "gaymen" laptop for over $2,000 yeah. Else you can go fuck yourself and only play games before 2012.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.