[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ALL CHILDREN USING WINDOWS, GET AWAY FROM THIS BOARD. IT WAS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 23
File: 0.png (5 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
0.png
5 KB, 720x400
ALL CHILDREN USING WINDOWS, GET AWAY FROM THIS BOARD. IT WAS BETTER WITHOUT YOU. I'M BEING SERIOUS. WHOLE COUNTRIES, SUCH AS RUSSIA, CHINA, & INDIA ARE MOVING TO GNU/LINUX. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE REASON TO USE THAT GARBAGE; GAS GAMERS AND BRAINDEAD SHINY TOY CONNOISSEURS!
>>
>I have an opinion on the internet

I respect it, but disagree. The piece that I agree with is that most usage of Windows is to meet the status quo of societal norms. Most haven't tried anything else. Having said that, many people utilize Windows knowing full well of its non-free and harmful capabilities. For them it is worth the sacrifice and in that choice they are free. There are some things still that are not yet refined for the consumer and even professional markets on other operating systems. The reasons behind this are another story, but it remains true nonetheless.
>>
>>52990933
>gas gamers
thats pretty edgy
>>
>>52990933

If your central govt, local govt, police dept, hospital or school runs Windows on a recent Intel or AMD chip, then you're country is not sovereign. NOBUS and all that.
>>
>>52990990
Nice theory, but every case of someone deciding to use Windows can be lead back to either ignorance or lack of tech literacy. They are "free" to make such a bad choice, but we can not stress enough that /g/ is supposed to be a safe zone for tech literate people in which Windows users do not belong.
>>
>>52991155
>/g/ is supposed to be a safe zone

Oh god the delusion is real, my kek is at maximum top.
>>
>>52991208
Your stupidity is literally raping me
>>
>>52991155

I would say my case is more convenience (laziness to put it bluntly) than tech illiteracy. For server applications I use Debian. It is more comfortable and efficient in my opinion than a Windows server. I use Android on mobile because I enjoy the customization options and it is fun to tinker with. I do not have this same desire with a desktop environment. I use Windows because it runs all of the software I need for work and does not require extra tweaking.
>>
>>52991232
>You're stupid

Psh, nothing personnel...kid
>>
>>52991235
But do you not know that even most basic OS tasks like installing software are more convenient on Linux?
>>
>>52990990
Even with cruise control you still need to steer.

OP is correct though. Winbabbies should kill themselves.
>>
>>52991327

I agree that most tasks are simpler. It's the overall compatibility that is keeping me from switching over at this time. There are alternatives for many things. Unfortunately my work requires me to use proprietary shitware for several applications.
>>
I tried linux, saw no point and came back to Windows.

Same shit different asshole.

Anything I need to do on Linux I can do better and faster on Windows, there are less compatibility problems and it kind of helps that I have about 20 years of experience using this.

Sorry, fuccboi, this is STILL not the year of Linux :(
>>
>>52990933
I fail to see how such inflammatory comments would persuade anyone, let along Windows users, to switch to gnu/linux. I know that's not the point of your blog post, and I agree that Windows is bad, but it's the point to try and convert them not perpetuate a scary nerd cult image?
>>
>>52991373
Pretty sure OP is telling them to go away, not to adopt Linux.
>>
>>52991388
Oh my bad. Continue.
>>
>>52991327
Is that so
>>
>>52991370
You tried it but obviously you didn't get it.
>>
>>52991370
Maybe if you didn't have Bill Gate's cock in your anus you would be able to understand Linux
>>
>>52991414
Yup
>>
Tech literate people use what's best for their purposes, whether it be windows or Linux.

Advocating using one exclusively is just autism.
>>
>>52991499
A reasonable post that can be backed by logical argument.

Why the fuck are you on this board?
>>
File: 1447652370636.jpg (101 KB, 410x973) Image search: [Google]
1447652370636.jpg
101 KB, 410x973
>>52991550
I ask myself that too...
>>
>>52991442
>>52991447
What's there to understand? You are treating the choice between OS like you're fucking enlightened and euphoric because you've picked Linux.

In actuality, it's like choosing between coke and pepsi. At the end of the day it's the same result. Some people like one and others like the other.

What the fuck is up with you retarded autists and wanting to be in camps fighting with others? Bunch of children, I swear.
>>
>>52991599
because muh freedumbs.
>>
>>52991499
>>52991550

That's a none-saying argument with completely no purpose. It just kills discussions, keeps you stupid.

It's in the same category as "do what you like", "whatever you find best", "People want to live in the place they like best, whether it be peace or war", "Tech literate people use what's best for their purposes, whether it be buying a prebuilt or building their own PC", "Tech literate people use what's best for their purposes, whether it be AppleScript or Rust", "Programmers use what's best for their purposes, whether it be touch typing or a keyboard".

Only retarded programmers use touch typing!
>>
>>52991599
>at the end of the day it's the same result
You sound like you're on the wrong board.
>>
File: 1451803681962.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1451803681962.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>
File: FallaciesAreNoWayOfArguingKys.jpg (582 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
FallaciesAreNoWayOfArguingKys.jpg
582 KB, 1600x1131
>>52991726
You know what, I'm not even going to counter your shit-tier arguments, what I am going to comment on though, is the fact that you're commiting what's called an "Ad Hominem".
>>
>>52991726
Remember how English teachers get mad when your essay suddenly derives from the main topic near the end and goes on a completely different tandem loosely pertaining to your thesis?

That's your post.
>>
>>52990933
>RUSSIA, CHINA, & INDIA
kek

through in brazil and you have the full club of shit.
>>
>>52991370
>Anything I need to do on Linux I can do better and faster on Windows

This just isn't true, unless the only thing you "need" to do is play a game.
>>
Back just a few years ago no one on /v/ was unironically like this, but now tons of you are.

I blame archbabies desu. I remember when arch users were judged for what they were, edgy teens.
>>
>>52991774
Arch is the only respectable distro for real serious coding, hacking and rocket science
>>
>>52991774
FUCK you made me think about video games now i look like a faggot. I meant /g/
>>
File: 1451163810790.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451163810790.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1200
>>
>>52991757
Are you serious? I said your *argument* was none-saying and explained how. This has nothing to do with your personal traits.
>>
>>52990933

OK sorry
>>
>>52991726
That's a strawman, "do what you like" and "choosing what's best for your purposes" are not the same. I'm advocating using both and switching when you need features from one or the other. You're purposely shooting yourself in the foot using only one exclusively.

>>52991843
That guy isn't me.
>>
>>52991764
I don't think you get my point, but I was pointing out that his kind of argument was shit. It bothers me because I see it a lot and it's an easy way to kill discussions.

Let me make it clear:

"Tech literate people use what's best for their purposes, whether it be windows or Linux." is a deceiving argument because in almost every case this would be Linux, it would make sense to advocate Linux.
>>
>>52991155
I'm a "Winbaby" and I'm not going anywhere. You are free to leave yourself though if you're dissatisfied with the community. Bye bye.
>>
>>52991879
>>52991886
>>
>>52990933
>india
Op confirmed for poo in loo
>>
Beep
>>
>>52991886
>in almost every case

You just proved the "use the right OS for the right task" point anon was arguing. He wasn't saying Linux was better or worse than windows, he was saying both operating systems handle projects better than the other.

Sure, Linux may be better most of the time, but the point is you shouldn't shit on Microsoft and quarantine it like a plagued rat.

Well, okay, shit on it a little bit.
>>
>>52991599
People get mad on here about people who don't have hours of free time to set up their fucking system and get everything running.
>>
>>52990933
I'm so sorry. I can't believe how blinded I've been up until this point.
>>
>>52991886
>>52991906
Yeah and this discussion should be killed because it's useless. You also just said my point too:

>in *almost* every cade this would be Linux
Yeah and I'm saying when its not the case, you should use windows. That's the point, you use the OS that you need at the time, not the one that gives you cool points on the internet.
>>
>>52990933
> wanting /g/ to be good
my man go to 2x4chan
>>
>>52991886
>in almost every case this would be Linux

Ah, the delusions.
>>
>>52991954
>People get mad on here about people who don't have hours of free time to set up their fucking system and get everything running.

You mean people who don't have hours of free time to set up their fucking system and BE FREE (as in freedom).
>>
you gnuts should just go

this is a BSD zone now
>>
>>52991971
Except switching comes with a cost, both on efficiency and ethical grounds, making it more convenient and a better solution to solely use Linux.
>>
>>52992019
Yep, and they obviously exist. I mean, I use Linux from time to time too and set up things like Arch before, but nowadays, work just takes up alot of time and you need something that actually werks as soon as possible to get shit done rather than getting to know a computer in and out. It's fun to laugh about tech illiterates, but on the other hand, it's just not possible for everyone to use a computer whilst simultaneously actually knowing how a computer works.
>>
>>52991975
I think you mean 2x3+(6-(5-2)-2)^2+2Chan
>>
>>52992064

>ethical grounds

SJW detected
>>
>>52992102
Not social grounds, you silly, technical ethical grounds.
>>
>>52992079
>it's just not possible for everyone to use a computer whilst simultaneously actually knowing how a computer works.

>imblying linux people know how a computer works
>>
File: kekbleton.png (6 KB, 777x122) Image search: [Google]
kekbleton.png
6 KB, 777x122
>>52990933
When Linux can run this and loads of VST's I'll switch.

>inb4 WINE
>>
>>52992127
>When Linux can run this and loads of VST's I'll switch.

Music production is for fags anyway.
Real men only need xterm.
>>
>>52992079
>not possible for everyone
And not everyone should be on /g/, that's OP's point.
>>
>>52992127
>VST
I bet you call paper tissues "Kleenex".
>>
>>52992064
>efficiency
Not really, its not like your programs and settings are lost when you dualboot and switch.

>ethical
Fucking stallman thinks child sex should be legal, and if your worried about big bad m$ mining your data you should just get off the internet because there is a company out there that has a database with you in it.
>>
why can't we all accept different preferences of operating systems
>>
The big problem with Linux is it caters to two extremes:

>Ubuntu-level user friendly for grandmas who only want to see their grandsons facebook and check their emails

And

>Spend 3 weeks setting up Arch properly and have to be an expert with the terminal

There's literally no middle ground. If you don't want to be a grandma, but you also don't want to be a /g/-tier autist, there's no place for you in the Linux community. Then people wonder why people use Windows.
>>
>>52992189
Because Linux users feel superior in their choice of OS, and hate everyone who's not in their secret club. (Hell they even shit on people not using the right distribution of Linux)
>>
>>52992189
>why can't we all accept different preferences of operating systems

Never heard a Windows/OSX user call other people evil because of how they distribute their software.
>>
>>52992184
If you have the time to run Windows as extra besides Linux you surely have the time to do whatever you'd use Windows for on Linux.

>Stallman thinks child sex should be legal
ok...

>if a company has you in its database you're a hypocrite for caring about privacy
That's not how it works
>>
>>52992222
>Because Linux users feel superior in their choice of OS, and hate everyone who's not in their secret club.

And quads confirm it
>>
>>52992217
This
>>
>>52992217
There is a middleground. It's called using distros that are not "based on" with a DE.
Debian testing with xfce for example would suit the needs of the middle ground. I think fedora would aswell.
>>
>>52992222
It's more like those SJWs which only change words for their offensive meaning who come to programming communities.

Maybe if you use Windows you shouldn't come to a technology board.
>>
>>52992289
>Maybe if you use Windows you shouldn't come to a technology board.

Where is the logic in that?
>>
>>52992250
>>>/b/
>>>[s4s]
>>
no photoshop and sony vegas
>>
>>52992310
Using FL Studio and going to /mu/.
>>
>>52992310
>>52992337
Using paint and going to /gd/.
>>
>>52992240
Yeah they just call them commies and tinfoilers.
>>
>>52992289
There's no real logic to that, but I probably should stop coming here because its literal garbage.
>>
>>52992363
Are you unironically not seeing the irony in this?

Really?
>>
>>52992358
>Yeah they just call them commies and tinfoilers.

I wonder why
>>
>>52992240
They barely know what software is.
>>
>>52992337
>Using FL Studio and going to /mu/.

You are the type of guy who uses emacs to write down the shopping list, right?
>>
>>52992414
Nice idea, but yeah I'm the kind of type that has a quality standard.
>>
>>52992407
>They barely know what software is.

>Oh no they use their computer as they see fit

The horror
>>
>>52992434
Well you can hardly blame them for using their OS, they just don't know and don't care about technology.
>>
>>52990933

Getting hardware passthroug on a vm to work with ubuntu 15whatever is pretty easily doable now.

So windows exclusive software like some games and Photoshop or video software is not an excuse anymore.
>>
>>52992475
It's literally an excuse if the average user can't click a couple of icons to do what you're talking about
>>
>>52992490
Average users of any OS don't belong on /g/.
>>
>>52992475
>Getting hardware passthroug on a vm to work with ubuntu 15whatever is pretty easily doable now.

Don't you need two videocards for that?
>>
>>52992525
Average *BSD, GNU/HURD or MINIX users certainly do belong on /g/
>>
>>52991370
>Sorry, fuccboi, this is STILL not the year of Linux :(
It's been the year of the Linux since decades, Linux dominates the world currently, it just doesn't dominate the market share and unfortunately we're still years away until it does.
>>
>>52992561
Intel cpus have igpus.
>>
>>52992561

You can try to force linux to use your cpu graphics option.

Basically you lock linux out of your gpu and it functions like you had unplugged it. Once linux is not touching your gpu you can then pass it to the vm. This also means whatever screen is plugged into it will only work for the vm. You can fix this with multiple inputs on the monitor or just using its own monitor. Can probably find a switch or something also.

I just use my old video card.

Also nvidia is a pain if it notices the vm it will not work. They purposely fuck vms if they can no idea why. People have gotten around it ways and nvidia has updated to make it harder.

I am using a 390x.
>>
>>52992661
I'm out of luck, I'm on a laptop.
>>
>>52992743
>gaming on a laptop
>>
>>52992904
>gaming on a laptop

I never talked about gaming
>>
>>52992904
This fat fuck games on a tower, everyone point and laugh.
>>
Why would I use linux when windows just werks for the stuff I do?
>>
>>52992995
>Why would I use linux when windows just werks for the stuff I do?

Because Linux fills the hole in your soul.
>>
File: this.png (39 KB, 392x200) Image search: [Google]
this.png
39 KB, 392x200
>>52990933
>>
>>52992363
/thread
>>
>>52990933
Not everyone that uses Windows only plays Video Games you inbred fuck, If Linux was actually better than Windows then I'd switch to it in a hearbeat, it's not my fault your OS it utter shit and has no programs.
>>
>>52992995
>this
>and i am writing this on linux

p/s/w/e teq.
>photoshop or gimp
answer: photoshop
why:
1-more plug ins = less time/more quality end product/100x times more tuts
2-companies demands
3- they do the same thing if you have time and code skills, but photoshop makes it faster and easier
problem:
#cost?
pirate
>inb4 muh hard work
#freedom? no source code?
1- source code? for what? to hack to your needs? there is a plug in for it anyway 99% of the time
2- the company wont die soon -if ever- so relax
>>
>>52991370
I used to think like you until I was truly awakened

You'll see windows as the cancer it is in due time, reflect back on your opinion right now and realize how fucking KEKED you are
>>
>>52993209
Not /thread. Punched my fucking computer screen. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52993273
Holy shit what's wrong with writing like a human being? Are you a robot?
>>
>>52991155
>What is the entire creative industry
>"Muh use GIMP"
Lolno
>>
>>52992363
You filthy shit. You love rolling around in garbage. Because if you actually were involved in /FLT/ (Friendly GNU/Linux Threads) you'd see that technology is alive only when the majority of Windows users leave with their shit threads effectively creating a board of cancer. We need more GNU/Linux and this board will become the greatest thing since sliced tomato.
>>
>>52993273
>cont.
>libre office or MS office
answer: the same you retard
just some compatibility issues

>FL studio or LMMS/ardour...etc
>answer: FL Studio
why?
1- VST support out of the box, so no hassle
2- Vast amount of tuts

>in general:
>linux or windows
>windows
why:
1- quality software = more plugins/scripts = less time on projects and more quality
2- i dont care about ricing

>you get the point, i wont turn this to a comparison article, everyone knows why X is better than y, they just dont declare that because SURPRISE!!! you are on /g/
>>
>>52991886
>almost every case
Photo editing? Video Editing? 3D modelling? Playing video games?
>>
>>52990933
Having a multitude of software and applications that run on the windows platform requires the majority of people to use it.
It's also generally easy to use for even 5 year olds and provides a means to get into computing; complete simple to advanced tasks.

Why would you slate the OS? If it weren't for Windows I probably would have never gotten into computing and finally gotten into programming, CAD, CAM; using Command line interfaces and all that jazz desu
>>
>>52993273
>>52993421
>note
keep in mind, i generalized a lot... focusing on what makes X better than Y in general, according to online reviews i have read...
>>
>>52991766
> Webdev on nodejs
> npm is better on Windows than on linux
> Posh git in Customized powershell

Sorry anons but you are pestering "Muh Linux customisation" yet you never tried to do anything on Windows. Agreed, botnet and m$, but if I prefer windows for this use and there's no downside, why the fuck should I bother?

Tl;dr: each os has its upsides and downsides, each person has their preferences, fuck off, eat shit, and die.
>>
Linux is crap for music creation and video editing. (and vidya)
>>
Ive used linux for quite a while but like many other people, eventually you get tired of fixing shit and want something that just werks.

So i went back to windows because...
>muh gaymen
>>
>>52993459
>>52993509
>>52993531
>>52993377
>>52993233

Criticizing GNU/Linux for not having a program available for the time being is not a criticism of GNU/Linux.

No wonder Microsoft wimps are tied to an ugly operating system. They can't learn and search software repositories.
>>
>>52993591
I can hear your heavy breathing from here.
>>
>>52993531
>Linux is crap for music creation and video editing. (and vidya)

Linux is crap for everything that cannot be reduced to an ASCII stream.
>>
>>52993591
>Criticizing GNU/Linux for not having a program available for the time being is not a criticism of GNU/Linux.

I like Linux but even I know this is fucking retarded.
>>
>>52993591
>Criticizing GNU/Linux for not having a program available for the time
>They can't learn and search software repositories.
Implying that there are good softwares hidden in the repositories that no one knows about. Linux isn't good for huge programs like DAWs or video editing, because no big company cares about it.
>>
>>52993591
>Criticizing GNU/Linux for not having a program available for the time being is not a criticism of GNU/Linux.

Acutually it is, because Linux makes porting software to it a royal pain in the ass.
And this is by design.
>>
>>52990933
The Internet is not a god damn exclusive club for you and your aspie friends so shut the fuck up and learn to ignore them like all of us with common sense do
>>
>>52990933

Why are Linux users so resentful of anyone who enjoys a computer game?
>>
>>52990933

i need to use it for dj software, sorry :^(
>>
>>52993591
if you are a producer you will understand that its not about the software
>it is "shortcuts"
=
how to achieve tasks as fast as possible to get the most progress
in production this is the goal
>progress

yes there are alternatives in linux, but they lack the vast amount of tuts and plugins/addons/skript MS's version has
=
more time is needed to get done with something than on the MS's version
>why?
because "deadline"

get it?
>>
>>52993705
>Why are Linux users so resentful of anyone who enjoys a computer game?

Because they are stuck with Tux racer
>>
File: 1399078419068.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1399078419068.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>itt: winfags not knowing Linux alternative software for their shitty counterparts
>>
>>52993761
care to give us examples with explanations of why we should convert to it?
if you do, i swear i will change... BUT FIRST GODDAMN SOMEONE CONVINCE US!!! we need proofs, not insults
>>
>>52993761
I'm not going to use FreeCAD you moron
>>
>>52993826
why? please explain with more than 2 sentences
>>
>>52993761

There are no free alternatives to Autodesk / Adobe software that aren't significantly worse in every single measure.
>>
>>52993818
Proof isn't something Linux shills understand
>>
>>52993818
>if you do, i swear i will change... BUT FIRST GODDAMN SOMEONE CONVINCE US!!! we need proofs, not insults

He can't, Linux is a cult, and a shitty one at that.
Good cults at least have women.
>>
MOM THEY'RE DOING THINGS ON THEIR COMPUTERS THAT I CANT MAKE THEM STOP
>>
>>52990933
>GAS GAMERS AND BRAINDEAD SHINY TOY CONNOISSEURS
kek
>>
>>52993851
0/10 bait
>>
>>52992632
>Linux dominates the world currently,l
>it just doesn't dominate the market share

:^)))))))
>>
>>52993818
Care to give me a working example of GNOME?
FIRST GODDMAMN SOMEOMENE MAKE WINDOWS NOT SHIT!!

>>52993826
I am not forcing you creep
>>
>>52993880
>>>/b/
>>
>>52993884

It's great on headless servers. Everyone ssh's into them from Windows or OS X.
>>
I tried linux ~6 years ago and wifi didn't work
I tried it again a few months ago and wifi still didn't work.
>>
>>52993947
You don't need wifi anyway
>>
>>52993947
>WiFi
You now will use CAT 6 SSP Ethernet cable.
>>
>>52993947
Tell me, did you installed gentoo, or arch?

Winfags love to troll anons into installing hardcore distros to newfags.
>>
>>52993947

That's because you have to earn it. Automation is not allowed. The only right way is the difficult and tedious way, so we can look l33t to everyone around us.
>>
>>52993947
The actual linux user tells himself that he doesn't need features like wifi, do you even linux
>>
File: Typical Linux User.jpg (359 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
Typical Linux User.jpg
359 KB, 1152x768
I searched the archives and found a picture of OP
>>
>>52994097
Jesus, we need a cleansing war.
>>
>>52993947
blame broadcom

but seriously, just google your hardware and install the proper driver package or compile and modprobe it, it's no different than windows

If you don't want to bother with that then buy supported hardware
>>
>>52994097
>>>/r/malefashionadvice
>>
File: Hz0hQdo.jpg (99 KB, 700x453) Image search: [Google]
Hz0hQdo.jpg
99 KB, 700x453
>>52994097
>implying OP or anyone who linux looks fat or nerd
kek, your insult failed with me
>>52994149
Yeah, look pic
>>
>>52993633
All data can be reduced to an ASCII stream although modern GNU plus Linux distribution support UTF-8
>>
>>52994303

>Wipes Window in Seconds

Also removes 99% of practical functionality!
>>
>>52994303
Even your mascot is fat
>>
File: 1438640288555.jpg (84 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438640288555.jpg
84 KB, 400x400
>>52992127
>When Linux can run this and loads of VST's I'll switch.
>>
>>52993386
This is fucking 4chan bro, everywhere is cancer. You can pretend like windows users are the boogeyman and if they went away everything would be flowers, but that isn't true.

The problem is people aren't willing to understand their computer, but this isn't a windows problem. Windows just caters to those types of people, there are ubungo babbies and they're just as bad.
>>
>>52994182
>>52994182
>>>52993947
>compile and modprobe it, it's no different than windows
>no different than windows
>compiling your own drivers
>on windows

>If you don't want to bother with that then buy supported hardware
What are laptops?
>>
>>52992127

>wine

When I was consulting, I ran across this guy that was such a staunch freetard he was running production point of sale software in wine. It ran like shit and he was constantly bitching about the vendor not supporting him. I did not take him on as a customer.
>>
File: ack aaack.jpg (52 KB, 415x420) Image search: [Google]
ack aaack.jpg
52 KB, 415x420
>claiming winblows software can't run on Linux
>claiming there is no way Linux can be beginner friendly
>alleging Memesoft's Winblows is less buggy than Linux
>"nothing to hide, nothing to fear"
Keep up with the lie shills.
>>
>>52994617
>"nothing to hide, nothing to fear"

I have yet to see any actual proof to backup this freetard fear mongering.
>>
File: 1440433927351.png (19 KB, 470x495) Image search: [Google]
1440433927351.png
19 KB, 470x495
>>52994677
>I have yet to see any actual proof to backup this freetard fear mongering.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/windows-10-privacy/
https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/microsoft-windows10-download.html
>>
File: 1400985439735.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1400985439735.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>>52991370
>>
>>52994716

>https://www.maketecheasier.com/windows-10-privacy/
Nice blogspam

>https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/microsoft-windows10-download.html
Nothing to do with privacy, GWX is easily disabled with a quick registry edit.
>>
I use Windows and I don't even play games. what the fuck is your point? are people just automatically supposed to like Linux? Jesus dude I have a triple boot including Windows, osx, and Linux mint. I still use Windows because I like it.
>>
>>52994601
it's literally like 5 lines of code and the overwhelming odds are that you don't need to do it and the drivers are in a package provided by your distro

In order to understand linux you need to be able to accept that the best way of doing things on a computer might not be the way that you've been doing it for 20 years
>>
>>52994601
>What are laptops?

What are Thinkpads?
What are Dells: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Dell/?query=&category=Laptop&release=&level=Any?
What are HPs: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/HP/?query=&category=Laptop&release=&level=Any
>>
File: 1429933230485.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1429933230485.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
lol
>>
File: scriptkiddies.jpg (36 KB, 350x542) Image search: [Google]
scriptkiddies.jpg
36 KB, 350x542
When I started using Linux my mom told me I looked like a real hacker
>>
>>52994878
propah hakr lad
>>
What is 4chan doing with all Memesoft spammers?
Serious question.
>>
If one of you linux users can show me a simple way to use Netflix and the latest version of iTunes on Linux, I will permanently switch. I will also provide proof.
>>
>LINUX AND THE BROKEN KEYBOARD DRIVER

Haha, you can't even into lower case. Linuxfags everyone.
>>
>>52994951

rtfm noob!

-the Linux community
>>
>>52991155
>/g/ is supposed to be a safe zone for tech
FUCKING KILL YOURSELF CIA NIGGER
>>
>>52995089

What about the broken e1000 driver that was bricking expensive network cards? No warranty for a reason.
>>
ITT angry ex-windows user on a REEEmpage
>>
>>52995121
source? I always blacklist e1000 since it's PM is broken
>>
>>52995155

That still isn't fixed? That card has been out for like 10 years.
>>
ITT: free software cultists
>>
>>52995172
I haven't checked in about 6 months and I don't know what version I was using, but it looks like there was some work done on it last year
>>
Why should I waste time learning an entirely new operating system that will provide me no benefits besides e-cred on an extremely niche part of the internet?

I don't care about open-source vs closed-source software.
>>
>linux
>can't even manully install with double click

>process frozen
>can't simply open task manager and end process

No wonder, linux is made by autist with anger issues.
>>
>>52995312
>that will provide me no benefits

If you really think this is true, then why are you here?
>>
>>52995396
>manually installing
>what is one of any gorillian number of process managers

try harder next time
>>
>>52995423
Because I was curious to see if there would be any persuasive arguments in favor of Linux in this thread.
>>
>>52995446
well for me linux is much easier, faster, and more intuitive to work with than windows or os x. I spend less time fighting my OS and more time getting work done.
>>
>actually discussing Linux vs Windows like it's the fucking 90's
>>
Linux users are the atheists of the internet. They can't bear the thought that someone else might be doing what works for them.
>>
>>52995535

All the pro Linux arguments are based on problems in Windows that have been fixed since the 90's.
>>
>>52995441
how else you think you install software that isn't in software manager?

and how you open GUI in frozen desktop?

linux is shit.
>>
>>52995536
>They can't bear the thought that someone else might be doing what works for them.
Way to describe users of just about any OS ever.
>>
File: big brother will protect you.jpg (11 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
big brother will protect you.jpg
11 KB, 222x227
>NSA protecting his partner Microsoft
>NSA uses data to tailor comments on 4chan to keep Windows users using the same shit
Congratulations, we live in a "free" society.
>>
>>52995597
>how else you think you install software that isn't in software manager

by finding the appropriate repository or the appropriate rpm or deb package that I install via double-click?

>and how you open GUI in frozen desktop?
ctrl-alt-esc in cinnamon reboots the DE without losing any programs
you can also drop to tty2 with ctrl-alt-f2 and manage processes in htop without killing your DM

so, quite easily actually
>>
I'll beat the fuck out of anyone that uses Windows.
>>
>>52995664
>I'll beat the fuck out of anyone that uses Windows.

The only thing you can beat is you micropenis.
>>
Don't more than half of you shitters use Mint or Ubuntu and its derivatives? That's babbys first distro so I don't see why anyone would brag about that.

I'm just going to assume all the ass mad comments from here are from the vocal minority who run arch and have some spare time to shitpost because there OS isn't being complete shit
>>
>>52995732
>implying
Then why is Bill Gates company named after his dick?
>>
>>52995753
>That's babbys first distro

What does something like arch offers that ubuntu doesn't?
>>
>>52995807
a learning experience
>>
>>52990933

i don't get why you would use those countries as an example for propagandizing your pedo GNU shit

>russia

invaded ukraine, stole crimea, indiscriminately cluster bombing syrians in aleppo

i see no reason why all russians shouldn't be killed

>china

massively pollutes the own environment, poisons their own people with gutter oil, great firewall etc

there's also no reason not to exterminate mainland chinese and let the taiwan chinese resettle it

>india

poo in loo you fucking moron
>>
File: 1444682805838.png (121 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1444682805838.png
121 KB, 258x245
>>52990933
>he thinks gnu/linux is better than windows as a desktop OS
>>
>>52994459
>somebody wrote this seriously.
>>
>>52995608
>Linux will protect me from NSA
Good luck beating tire-rubber decryption algorhytms.
>>
File: HE HE HE.jpg (44 KB, 424x384) Image search: [Google]
HE HE HE.jpg
44 KB, 424x384
>>52995993
>>52995991
>falling for this bait
>still thinks Wangblows is best
Is this what Windows users are like?
>>
>>52995807
Mantain a distro without actually being a mantainer.
>>
>>52996066
>muh X.org
>muh broken VT code
>muh unstable driver API
>muh monolithic design
>muh shitty graphic stack
>>
>>52996086
>memes
"I've totally used lunix before"
>>
>>52996115
>that damage control
>>
File: 1439869165394.jpg (105 KB, 492x661) Image search: [Google]
1439869165394.jpg
105 KB, 492x661
>>52996135
Control this damage winpuppet
>>
>>52995972
fucking KEK mate
>>
not >>52996086
>>52996115
I've used linux before and I mostly agree with what he said.
I don't really see how monolithic kernel design would really be an issue though, so I guess scratch that off.
>>
>>52990933
this isn't even quality bait but it got 210 replies????
>>
>>52996212
KEK
>>
>>52996328
Because it came from real emotion; not b&. Hence, the number.
>>
>>52990933
technology is meant to bring benefit or otherwise help us derive enjoyment from our lives

on the desktop, winshit's software base brings more benefit or otherwise helps me derive further enjoyment more so than unpolished but "good enough" free software alternatives

∴ your bait is sHit
>>
>>52996402
Not b&, senpai.
>>
>>52996402
>∴
You think using that makes your biased comment more credible don't you?
Scientific software is strong on Linux, pleb. And yes, Mathlab works on Linux.
>>
>>52996472
no, I just like using it, and I use Solaris or GNU/Linux for those jobs already, I only run winshit for general desktop use, legacy hardware or maybe occasionally as a painless file server
>>
What does geenu+loonox offer me that windows doesn't?
>>
>>52996687
Hipster cred
>>
>>52996595
Ok, now I get it.

Many are claiming windows has better software just by a confusion and not all hopeless microsoft cultists.

This can be solved in great part by giving more publicity to the proper software but I guess is not done enough by the community.
>>
>>52996741
>the scientific community and entire nations are a buzzword that has become an umbrella term for the masses
>>
>>52990933

Ok kid. Now only come back when you turn 18.
>>
>>52996763
Yes, the "scientific community", which is not some monolithic entity, and runs a pretty large assortment of hardware and software depending on where you go, is pretty much is a buzzword. The needs of a laboratory and a government institution, especially one mostly going towards GNU/Linux because of espionage concerns rather than absolute superiority, are rather irrelevant in the context of home use.
>>
>>52994097
What shoes are those?
>>
>>52996900
It has not lost its original meaning. It is an established known, as well as the myth that inferiority reduces the home user to using Windows instead.

GNU/Linux has multiple use cases unless one should not make sacrifices. They are usually petty about the things the "features" they want to keep. As if they experience addiction.

The scientific community is not necessarily a buzzword because it has more of its original meaning in this instance, given the frivolous "hipster" title is being applied to something that has usefulness, were the labeler suggested uselessness.

You see. GNU/Linux has made me a smart, blessed man. My mind thinks this way so effortlessly.

I can't help but achieve.
>>
>>52997103
(CONTINUED)

I should have typed where. Forgive me for portraying myself as if I were some imbecile. I assure, I am not and never will be.

Day by day, sacrifice will be no longer an arduous act for the seeker of enlightenment!

Programs will materialize!
>>
>>52997103
>as well as the myth that inferiority reduces the home user to using Windows instead.
I wasn't taking that angle on it at all, what I was implying was that when it comes to home use, it's really down to what you like using the most for a given job, whether that's Windows, GNU/Linux, Haiku, or whatever. You don't have to worry about the same things as a government or a laboratory, which all have specific reasons, whether due to history or use case, that they use the things they do.

>The scientific community is not necessarily a buzzword because it has more of its original meaning in this instance
It does and it doesn't, I'm probably going to ramble on about this, but whatever. Most of these conversations on /g/ tend to revolve around everyday home or office use, and I don't really think its use in a laboratory really makes a good case for it being the best for those use cases, since there are different considerations and history in these arenas. It's a no-brainer for lab use when most of your software and instruments already ran on/talked with UNIX platforms, it makes you feel more "at home", it's more configurable, it's more stable when you beat the shit out of it, it runs on any odd-ball RISC hardware you may still be using, and the efficiency edge can make a difference in big compute jobs.

>given the frivolous "hipster" title is being applied to something that has usefulness, were the labeler suggested uselessness.
That was of course an elaborate ruse, even though the shit coming out of unpaid shills on this board sometimes makes me feel like it isn't.
>>
File: 1455383955802.jpg (20 KB, 784x522) Image search: [Google]
1455383955802.jpg
20 KB, 784x522
>>52990933
>Not liking games
What are you, 12?
>>
File: the day g got told.png (173 KB, 1239x712) Image search: [Google]
the day g got told.png
173 KB, 1239x712
>>52990933
>>
Am I not correct in that people that use /g/ everyday are on loonix, but people who visit once in a while are on windows?
>>
>>52997889
stale memes are usually perpetuated ny unironic newfags and bashing linux is definitely a stale meme here
>>
>>52990933
I dual-boot. What should I do?
>>
>>52998144
Dual kill yourself.
>>
>>52998796
t. Faggot neckbeard
>>
>>52997889
been here since 2010 and my primary DD is Windows, my secondary is Solaris
>>
File: UnderagePlsGo.png (2 KB, 306x102) Image search: [Google]
UnderagePlsGo.png
2 KB, 306x102
>>52990933
>That edge
4chan isn't your safespace >>>/tumblr/
>>
>>52993664
It's not just that no big company cares, it's mostly that the setup of Linux device drivers and things like X make it a bitch to work on. I make apps on Linux and Windows and I have to say, Windows does do things like multimedia really well. Linux is weaker in that department, but makes up for it in terms of resource usage and versatility.

>>52993818
I'll bite.
> MS Office => LibreOffice
I actually prefer LibreOffice, it seems to be easier to use and more versatile. To be fair though, I haven't used MS Office for a long time

> Windows Media Player / Winamp => Amarok / GMusicBrowser
Can be a bit tricky to setup, but totally worth it. (especially due to the aforementioned multimedia issues)

> Task Manager
1 command: top. There is also GKrellm for monitoring and System Monitor for Task Manager like functionality.

> etc. etc.
>>
>>52993818
pipes
scripts for everything (so everything can be done hands-off, programatically)
one-line command updates the whole system (programs and OS)
choice in DE
can look at and modify code to your whims
superior shell
>>
>>52995446
Probs can't convince for desktop/laptop side of things. But I know for a server, Linux is fan-fucking-tastic.
It's incredibly lightweight, it's designed to give the user complete control, so you have the ability to manage everything (and I mean literally everything). It also allows you to only have what you need installed, nothing less nothing more. Which is great for a server.

> inb4 hurr, only desktop/laptop matters
>>
I used Linux for a year and went back to Windows 7. Considering how much better Windows 10 is now, I don't see how Linux can compete. Just a useless OS with a few gimmicks that /g/ clings to so hard.
>>
>>52991155
>we can not stress enough that /g/ is supposed to be a safe zone for tech literate people in which Windows users do not belong.

i am serious disappoint. you should seriously reconsider life
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.