[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to pick up a decent set of bookshelves for my desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: ESBi.jpg (12 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
ESBi.jpg
12 KB, 300x268
Looking to pick up a decent set of bookshelves for my desktop system. Use will be evenly split between movies/gaming/music and they will be powered by a Rotel RX-1050. Would like to keep the cost under $300. Have it narrowed it down to the Emp Tek R5Bi, Wharfdale 220, and Elac B6. As I live in a rather remote location and won't be able to audition, any idea which to go with? Any other suggestions?
>>
Read the fucking sticky
>>
>>52172897

Would also be interested in knowing. Been looking to pick up some speakers for my computer for about the same price.
>>
>>52172897
Book shelve speakers have changed very little in the past ten years so go look in pawn shops or auction houses (I'm using some 2004 speaker that were worth $300 when they were sold, that I got at a thrift store for $6.)
As for an amp, just get whatever on Amazon. Or alternatively if you know how to solder/have the tools to shape aluminum, you could just build your own.
>>
>>52172897

All of those speakers are good. And so is your amplifier. Probably choose the least expensive set.
>>
>Polk TSi100 are awesome bookshelf speakers
>>
why do they call them bookshelf speakers?
no one's gonna put their books on top of those things haha
>>
>Rotel
Gaymen on a Rotel ??

>Wharfdale
You even typed it wrong

Homo
>>
Would having these on my desk against a wall put any one above the rest? I know that some models need a good deal of space open behind them for optimal sound reproduction.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
>>52175086
Because they're small enough to fit on a bookshelf, sort of.
They're tiny compared to regular speakers.
>>
>>52175320
That depends if they are rear ported or front ported
>>
>>52175099

>Gaymen on a Rotel

Why not?
>>
>>52175972

rotels are good all-around
>>
bookshelf speakers would be good for music/movies?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (108 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
108 KB, 1920x1080
>>52172897
JBL LSR305 and Berhinger Truth 2030A blow everything out of the water atm.

as
>>52174244
touched on, speaker design has been stagnant for decades, and the three you mentioned are no exceptions.

auditions are near-useless anyway unless it happens in your own house with a loaned pair; room characteristics have massive influence on those normal designs. what sounds nice in a huge open-air electronics store can, and probably will, sound like shit once placed next to walls and desks.

only "controlled directivity" designs like the JBL and Behringer can play nice in any room setup, on top of other significant benefits.
>>
>>52176777
not at any distance past a meter away. OP is describing "monitors", not "bookshelf" speakers and is probably a bit confuzzled.

>>52175320
on a desk against a wall will make all three sound bad.
standard tweeter-on-box designs like that are designed with the assumption they'll be placed in the middle of a gigantic room, away from solid reflective surfaces, with you sitting 3 feet away on a beanbag chair. not a very realistic expectation.

the only solutions are to wrap your room in sound absorption like a mastering studio, use controlled directivity speakers or, ideally, both.

>>52175359
>That depends if they are rear ported or front ported
no, bass frequencies don't work that way. a 50Hz sound wave is over 22 feet long---so large that any size speaker enclosure will be effectively "invisible" to the wave. the bass will spread omnidirectionally---like a giant bubble---no matter where the port's at
>>
>>52177394

Both of the models you mentioned are the biggest memes in the business
>>
>>52175326
i love floorstanding stereo speakers. Too bad the only ones out are the home theater towers, but I heard they have good bass.
>>
File: MM-C430D.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MM-C430D.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
anyone know where I can get some speakers to look like this? Nothing special because my tv speakers sound crappy.
>>
>>52177979
well, from wall to wall the room is like 3,5meters, I was looking into some Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers but then i found out about studio monitors/bookshelf speakers and I got all mixed up. Can you recommend me something along those lines?
>>
>>52178372
never buy speakers branded/marketed for computer use.

you're the OP? stick with the JBL/Behringer suggestion, use the receiver as a pre-amp
>>
>>52177394

>oh hai i spent over $99 dollahs for audiophile equipment and these speekers are now the best in the world

fuck your JBL garbage
>>
>>52178722
no, i'm not OP, just hijacked the thread, but thanks for the tip, i'm on a budget so JBL/pre amp/receiver are way too much
>>
>>52178944
JBL actually makes some awesome stuff in the high end. They are part of Harman group after all.
>>
>>52177979

The 220s are bottom ported and meant to be placed within 5cm of a wall.
>>
>>52172897
Look into Micca MB42X's and SP-BS22-LR's.
I just ordered Fluance SX6's and an SMSL Q5 rev. 3
to replace my Logitech Z5500's.

These options are under your budget, but saving money never hurt anyone.
>>
File: 00_scythe_scbks-1100.jpg (226 KB, 1600x884) Image search: [Google]
00_scythe_scbks-1100.jpg
226 KB, 1600x884
Scythe Kro Craft rev b. are very well reviewed speakers and cost about 50€
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.