[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2500 vs 4460
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Intel_i5-4460_4178677.png (530 KB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
Intel_i5-4460_4178677.png
530 KB, 2400x1800
I own an old i5 2500 and I want to either upgrade my pc or buy a new one.

Does it make sense to buy the i5 4460? Would there be a big difference?

Or would it bottleneck with one of the cards I am considering (r9 390, 380x, 970)?
>>
>>52171701
Read the sticky or kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>52171701
That CPU is still perfect, it will not bottleneck any card currently on market. Keep your money OP, ypu are still good to go.
>>
>>52171701

Goto microcenter and get a i7-4790k. They sell it for $250.

hurry up before intel artifically increases haswell prices again.
>>
>>52171701
4460 is a good CPU. It was conidered the best non overclockable gaming CPU. I want to put a 980 on that, but i don't do gaming. I suggest an i7 for those card
>>
Skylake is actually the price to performance king right now because you can BCLK overclock locked CPUs with the right motherboard. All ASrock Z170 boards can do it with the right bios, and some MSI boards (but only the really expensive ones). This is the cheapest it's been since Nehalem/Westmere to get an overclockable 4 core CPU.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CmB2sY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CmB2sY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $293.86

If you have an extra $20, spring for the i5-6500. The higher binned chip is more likely to hit a higher overclock.
>>
>>52171701
what could you possibly need that the i5 can't handle?
>>
>>52172025
Lose warranty if you flash the beta bios for oc + no c states(aka no energy saving) + manufacturers might drop this feature at any time. At least right now it is still a big risk.

I hope that in a few months we'll be able to oc on h170 with pre-installed bios and no disadvantages to k cpus
>>
>>52172129
Oh no! 3$ in electricity!

It's not like they can push bios updates and the OC bios is out there. I see no risk other than the standard ones dumbasses face from OCing (and a bios update).
>>
>>52172192
Yes, but I meant this as how the general public views it. Especially losing warranty on the cpu and mobo (? Not sure about that one)is something a lot of people would view as a huge disadvantage compared to k CPUs.

And about that electricity... We still see dumbass kids buying the 970 over the 390 because of muh energy efficiency.

People just don't want anything negative associated with something and that's the problem right now
>>
>>52172129
>Lose warranty if you flash the beta bios for oc + no c states(aka no energy saving) + manufacturers might drop this feature at any time

Or...they might improve the feature, and produce a proper bios with all the features still working, and make Skylake non-K Nehalem 2.0
>>
>>52172244
You dont lose warranty on the mobo since is just a bios update direct from mfg. nor the cpu since a CPU cant know its been bclk overclocked.

I dont know where youre getting this, but you sound like a pansy who worries about everything.
>>
>>52171701
Don't upgrade, it won't make much difference. If you want to upgrade, wait few more years or buy i7 instead. Or if the Zen architecture from AMD will be any good, it may be way to go too.
>>
>>52172259
>>52172291
Hmm maybe I am wrong about the warranty part. Btw I just tried to look it up on the skyOC website asrock had and it seems like they pulled it down already. Not a good sign lel

Doesn't it also mean that the cpu is running at top speed all the time without energy saving feature? Not that great considering noise, heat, energy.
>>
>>52172360
It's still on their site under support for the individual motherboards. Here it is for the motherboard I recommended:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Pro4S/?cat=Beta

Again, the only loss in warranty is the standard bios update one. Once that's successful, warranty is still good.

1 min of googling and you could have found this.
>>
>>52172424
Maybe you hadn't seen at the time, but asrock had put together a special website for skyOC. Just Google skyOC asrock or similar and you'll find articles which supposedly have the link to the website. Now it redirects you back to asrock home
>>
>>52172590
They now have several bios updates that are out of beta that do this and it looks like they've addressed all of >>52172259 's concerns:

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170%20Pro4S/index.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.