[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FPGA Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 71ZXzxuLhNL._SL1200_.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
71ZXzxuLhNL._SL1200_.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
>2016
>no threads on glorious reconfigurable future

Let's fix that. Pic related, just ordered it. Damn I'm so excited
>>
>>52169517
/g/ doesn't know shit about non-consumer electronics.

Take it to somewhere more knowledgeable like /diy/ or /sci/.
>>
>>52169776
This
>>
>>52170049
>/sci/
>actually knowledgeable
>>
that looks pretty neat
what do you normally use FPGA's for?
I'm assuming ASIC prototyping?
>>
>>52169517
Cool, what are you making?
Doesn't seem to have lots of ports though
is that RS232?
>>
>>52169517
What is this thing?
>>
>>52169517
Spartans are old tech nowadays. Get a Zynq 7000 evboard (or UltraScale if you can afford it) instead.
>>
Omg an actual interesting post. Where am I?
>>
File: 1.png (188 KB, 1885x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.png
188 KB, 1885x1080
>yearly hardware design thread
What are you working on, /g/?
>>
>>52170944
Nothing serious. 3 arm based synthesizers. Taking a break for a few months and doing some analog clones to get my mind sorted out.
>>
Right now using beaglebone black and mojo v3 as a bitcoin miner (HTC shit).
Fun and definitely not worth the money.
>>
>>52171439
>beaglebone black
>fpga
this is neo-/g/
>>
Wut
>>
>>52169517
I used to work with Xilinx FPGAs.
FPGAs are fucking shit for most purposes.
>>
Why not get a arm+fpga board like the zedboard?
It is better to use a arm chip instead of using softcores which complicates the design and uses a lot of logic which means you can reduce the time it takes to place and route
>>
>>52170944
[triggered]

Working on a FSM for predicting timing events, more accurately I'm intercepting the injector opening signal on an engine and modifying the timing, ofc the opening time needs to be moved as well as period changed, so mostly working on timers and fixed point math shit.
>>
>>52169517

I wanted to get one so I could start practising before we do them next year but I don't know what to get.

Most of what the uni has are terasic cyclones but they are expensive. I just want something to familiarise myself with VHDL/Verilog, will hold the program after being disconnected from power, and have some basic switches/lcds on board.

Any ideas?
>>
Man I would really like to fuck around with FPGAs to speed up molecular dynamics calculations and shit
>>
>>52173680
DIGILENT 410-155-25 SPARTAN-3E, FPGA, 250K GATE, EVAL BOARD

This is the one I have from element 14.
Pretty good, has a few buttons and sseg.

But unfortunately it's gone the way of a Pi for me and just sits there in the corner after I learnt vhdl and finished my uni course.
>>
Which is a usable and cheap FPGA devboard (should have the Flash and stuff already on the board and nor require an additional programmer) I can get from Aliexpress?

I have programmed FPGA in VHDL about 4 years ago, so I know some basics. Just want it to play around.
>>
>>52169517
It's just good for prototyping not really for anything else
>>
>>52169776
This

Looking foward to it, espassily when jewtell bought altera and will make fpga + xeons
>>
>>52169517

hell yeah OP. No shit, I've worked the entire holidays on my own fpga project. I created an ethernet mac from a clean sheet of paper and hooked it up to my embedded (mips clone) processor. Also added a data-cache to the processor.

I am talking packets now and looking for performance.

VHDL, older Spartan-3 fpga Digilent board.
>>
>>52170067
/sci/ is really just /x/ with a bunch of schizophrenics that think they've discovered something when they find out pi doesn't terminate. Occasionally some college student tells them to shut up, but that's 99% of the board
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.