[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread: Official 2016 Mascot Reminder ed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: Courage on G.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Courage on G.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to search it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

If you need help installing Linux visit >>>/g/flt

and don't forget 2016 is the year of Courage The Cowardly Dog
>>
what is my best option on the market right now for wanting to play movies and videos on any tv from a portable device?
>>
Hey guys is there any good and free way to covert mp4 files into mpg?
>>
So i dug up an old prebuilt I stripped for parts a while back, it has a phenom II x6 on some proprietary HP pavillion motherboard. We stuck new ram, a new power supply and a 7950 in it, but there is no input signal, I fear after years of being in the attic the motherboard or cpu died. I've tried many things to get it to work and I would appreciate any suggestions. Already tried cmos reset, holding power down to clear capacitance, using different video slots, and switching ram ports. The full model is HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC. Therte is only one green light on the motherboard.
>>
How do I disable the komm susser todd shit on /a/?
>>
What does this mean:

>[E4E85FC6]

it's from this torrent on a public tracker:

>[gg] Macross Delta (Preview Special) - 01 [E4E85FC6].mkv

loads of other torrents have randomised numbers and digits within brackets at the end of them, what are they?
>>
File: 1445231332924.png (204 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1445231332924.png
204 KB, 1680x1050
Anyone know how to style Windows this way?
>>
>>52168891
Probably a checksum of some sort. If you knew what type it was, after downloading you could compute the checksum of the downloaded fle to determine if it was any error.

It's probably a holdover from wherever it was initially uploaded, because torrent clients (are supposed to) automatically redownload pieces which don't pass checksum.
>>
We have ARM processors, but why don't we have LEG processors? Is this why we have factories full of robot arms, but robots still can't walk without falling over?
>>
>>52168891
>>52168969 again, a quick google returned more specifically that it's a CRC32 checksum.
>>
>>52167792
Chromecast
>>
>>52168995
Okay thanks, I downloaded anime torrents for a while now and I always see that those at the end of most release groups files, I thought it was just some randomly generated thing with no significance.
>>
Best gpu for under $175? Currently have AMD Radeon R7 250 and want to upgrade the piece of shit
>>
The Samsung TV guy should try setting thr TV to "Just Scan" or "1-1" display mode or picture mode or whatever
>>
I have a 64gig flash card, after fucking around with it in my aura HD ereader I think it has been corrupted. Windows can't format it. and the windows chkdsk doesn't really help.

What are the best free diagnostics and repair programs for storage?
>>
Why is life nothing but pain and suffering?
>>
I keep trying to watch from Showbox but it just buffers constantly. Whats up with it?
>>
Got a new TV recently, a Samsung J5500

It wont play most mkv files and some mp4 files, is there some type of video converter I can use? If so what do you guys use?

Also, will there be a difference in quality if I play files from my PC hooked up to my TV rather then play files from a USB stick on my TV?
>>
>>52170938
Posted in wrong thread. Anyone?
>>
>>52169792
Any linux distro, you can "repair" it in Ubuntu but you'll lose everything tho
>>
>>52169554
You can get a brand new GTX 960 or R9 280 for $175 on Newegg, even less if you buy it used.
>>
>>52170654
ffmpeg is the only videoconverter anyone ever needs.

playing files oven DLNA would require them to be recoded and streamed to the TV, the quality sucks most of the time.
playing directly on the TV has no quality loss, but the TV has to support the container, codec and filesystem of the USB device.
>>
I have a folder containing VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders ripped from a DVD and I'm trying to repack it into an ISO, imgburn gives me this error.

No VOB file is larger than 1gb so I don't know why this problem...
>>
>>52171115
forgot pic
>>
>>52171115
>>52171124
try this http://club.myce.com/f153/choosing-correct-layer-break-position-imgburn-313692/
>>
>>52171134
oh wow this is really helpful, thanks
and thanks to the guy who wrote it
>>
>>52167773
>and don't forget 2016 is the year of Courage The Cowardly Dog
fuck off
>>
Reposting from previous thread:

So I was managing some files on my external hard drive, when I decided to go mobile and switch to my laptop. I put my computer into hibernation without thinking much of it (I always put it into hibernation and had a ton of shit open) and switched to my laptop.

After continuing on my laptop (which consisted of just deleting certain files in a specific folder), I decided to switch back to my desktop computer. I turned the computer into hibernation (like I always do), plugged my hard drive back into my desktop and turned it on.

When I turned my desktop back on, I opened up the folder (I had left the windows explorer window with the folder still open before hibernating) and I noticed that the files I had been deleting on my laptop were still there. I tried refreshing explorer, but they didn't go away. In fact, I opened a few up and they opened up with no problem--like they were never deleted.

I decided to go back to the laptop to see if they were gone on there. I couldn't "safely remove" the hard drive, so I just shut the computer down (no hibernation) and moved back to the laptop. Back on the laptop, all the files I had deleted while on the laptop, were gone. I then moved back, again, to the desktop to see if they would finally be gone now. But when I tried navigating to the directory, I get a message saying "F:\blabla\bla is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Everything else on the hard drive works fine and is readable, but I can't do anything with the directory I was just working in. But all those files can't just be gone. How do I save them?
>>
how do I soundcloud with out flash?
>>
>>52171671
it works without flash for me.
>>
File: 01451596624873.png (410 KB, 1462x848) Image search: [Google]
01451596624873.png
410 KB, 1462x848
Is there a way to fix the corners in vmware? (osx yosemite)
>>
File: Twitter-Logo-New-[1].png (76 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
Twitter-Logo-New-[1].png
76 KB, 518x518
Twitter widget (original, Z1 Compact) always misses few latest tweets, even right after adding it to homescreen. I tried:
- removing and restoring this particular then all widgets
- restarting device
- cleaning cached data in general, app cached data and app data
- logging in again
- changing update interval, even if it affects in-app timeline only
- searching twitter help and google of course.
Nothing helps, there's only good legit stuff from play store, weather widget runs good at the same time. I'm not switching to another app.

Some anon (I don't bump) bumped the question, but no help.

So what can be wrong, what should I do? Do you experience the same?
>>
Stupid dog
>>
>>52167773
I use Vivaldi and suddenly 4chan X's post embedding, like I could click the reply and it'd embed the post within the replied post option stopped working? Which setting it is in 4chan X so I could test if it is closed or something?
>>
I've been worried lately about some power related stuff and I have been wondering for a while.

You see, my entire room only has 1x power outlet, and I'm 2 power strips in the following setup:

1 coming out from the outlet with 6 slots
and another one connected to a slot in the first outlet, this one with 5 slots.

I have a computer, phone, lamp, 3 monitors, router, phone charger, etc.

Now, the problem is, I've always been running with these shitty ass chinese made power strips you'd normally find in a thrift store (or however you call it, I'm not from the USA) and I am really worried all of a sudden because something might happen to my electronics if I don't do something about it.

What's considered a good power strip? There's not much I can do about having only 1x power outlet in the room, but if I am going to run so much out of one, might aswell make it the most secure it can possibly be.

What can I buy to replace these shitty ass power strips?
>>
>>52171899
>thrift store
Or dollar store. We have both in Canada

>What's considered a good power strip?
DOn't go crazy and spend $50. Any decent looking one from Walmart will do
>>
>>52171671
Use a real browser
>>
File: 1431529259519.jpg (91 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1431529259519.jpg
91 KB, 400x400
I am about to buy my first SSD (256GB) ever, in a few weeks. I'll be using it together with a HDD.

Is there any point in putting stuff like Steam (the client, not the games), Mediaplayers, Autohotkey, etc. on the SSD or should I keep them on the HDD?

Obviously I'll have the OS on the SSD, along with a single horribly unoptimized game.
>>
>>52171899
The thicker cable the better.
Use ones with grounding, as in your pic.
Just don't connect power-hungry things to the last power strip, plug it in first instead and use the last for chargers, router, lamps.
>>
>>52172073
Install your OS and programs on the SSD and use the hard drive for the bulk of your files. This is a very common setup for people that have both an SSD and HDD.

Having your OS and stuff on the SSD means that things will run quicker.
>>
>>52172073
How big are your Steam games?
You should try and put everything you regularly use on the SSD.
>>
File: 1327426921934.jpg (133 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1327426921934.jpg
133 KB, 600x800
>>52172111
That's what I figured, HDD for media files and SSD for programs.

Things is, AFAIK SSDs can't be defragmented and I was wondering if it was wise to have anything but the bare minimum on them.

I haven't keep up with technology in a while now, so I'm probably misinformed and/or my information is severely outdated.

>>52172134
I usually only have 1-2 games installed at a time. Currently it's Dungeon Defenders 2 and Path Of Exile, which is the horribly optimized one.
>>
>>52172185
>SSDs can't be defragmented
Correct, but you shouldn't really worry about that. It should be a while before it dies and you have to buy a new one.

Not sure how long or how you can tell when it's dying. Just make sure you have multiple back ups, I guess. Anyone else want to chime in?
>>
>>52172185
SSDs don't care about fragmentation.

HDDs do as the drive head has to seek out the data blocks as efficiently as possible. Having it all sequential stops the HDD having to work as hard to get all of the data.

With an SSD you just say I want that data and it's returned. No moving parts to slow anything down or seek through.
>>
>>52172220
But it should be noted that you should never defragment an SSD.
>>
If I'm editing a video where the main concern is audio quality (basically I'm uploading an album to Youtube - the image is just a still album cover image), does the video bitrate make a difference to the audio quality?
>>
>>52172185
>Things is, AFAIK SSDs can't be defragmented
SSDs can actually be defragmented - it's just that there is no benefit from doing so.

>I was wondering if it was wise to have anything but the bare minimum on them.
There's no real harm to it, and it will maximize the benefit of have an SSD.

>I usually only have 1-2 games installed at a time. Currently it's Dungeon Defenders 2 and Path Of Exile
You may as well have them both on the SSD then.

>>52172203
>It should be a while before it dies and you have to buy a new one.
A very long while. Modern SSDs are pretty tough.

>Not sure how long or how you can tell when it's dying.
SMART

>Just make sure you have multiple back ups
This is always good advice.

>>52172256
>does the video bitrate make a difference to the audio quality
No.
That would be the audio bitrate.
>>
newbie here, used suse and mint before
for my new build i am looking for the best kde experience. i have been looking at kaos and chakra. both are arch based. what's the upside to using pure arch? do i have to put much time in stock kde? (which is what i guess you get with arch)
>>
>>52172238
>>52172238
Yes. I was just thinking that I probably should have mentioned that. All it does it wear the drive out.

>>52172203
AFAIK the only real way you can tell if an SSD is dying is through SMART metrics. Any good operating system should let you know when it hits a problem threshold in these. That said stuff does just break sometimes with no warning.

But yeah the only stuff that shouldn't be backed up is stuff you can afford to lose. Storage space is rediculously cheap these days!
>>
File: 140477306020.png (1 MB, 800x2524) Image search: [Google]
140477306020.png
1 MB, 800x2524
>>52172203
>>52172220
>>52172269

Thanks anons.

>>52172238
>But it should be noted that you should never defragment an SSD.

I'll be using win7, should I bother disabling auto defrag on standby or would that be pointless?
>>
>>52172312
>should I bother disabling auto defrag on standby
Yes. As the other anon pointed out, defragging an ssd just wears it out. All it does is bring it that much closer to dying, with no benefit whatsoever.
>>
>>52172281
KDE on arch is pretty good and usable out of the box with the plasma-meta package imo.
>>
>>52172338
thank you for the answer.
hmm...maybe i'll just use pure arch then
>>
>>52172331
Thanks.

Pic unrelated but amusing.
>>
Installed arch.
How do i get rid of this ugly ugly font rendering?
>>
File: serveimage2.jpg (272 KB, 1920x852) Image search: [Google]
serveimage2.jpg
272 KB, 1920x852
I have a dual screen setup.
I've set Windows to automatically turn off the displays after a few minutes.
One is connected through DVI, the other through DP.
Every time I wake the displays again, Windows scrambles my Windows around. How can I prevent that? It's annoying the fuck out of me. Happens both in 7 and 10.
>>
Does more RAM require a better processor?

I have an old Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz and I had 2 GB RAM which I upgraded to 3 GB, but now everything seems kinda slower, Iceweasel freezes most of the time when I try to load a page, etc. (I'm using debian stable with LXDE, so it can't be a software problem, but I did have a lot of tabs open)
htop was showing 100% usage for at least one core, all for that was all Icewesel when it was loading a page
>>
Has there been any major changes in the last couple months or is win10 still considered the work of the devil?

Inb4 kneejerk MS hateboner guy starts spamming me.
>>
>>52172663
>work of the devil
this
>>
>>52172641
*all that was spent on Iceweasel loading a page
>>
>>52172478
Install OS X
>>
I have a folder with site files that's 15mb but all the files in the folder amount to ~3mb in total, what's going on here?

Its literally an html and css file and an image asset that's 3mb.
>>
>>52172818

the images folder with 3mb file is only 3mb so it has to be in the root site folder. I set ShowAllFiles to true and still don't see anything.
>>
>>52172609
>Windows scrambles my Windows around
More information required
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-01+at+04.57.02).png (23 KB, 1019x100) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-01+at+04.57.02).png
23 KB, 1019x100
Any foobar wizards here?
I am trying to insert a line break after the album title so that the date is displayed under it.
I stumbled on $crlf() but it doesn't seem to work and gets ignored.

This is what I am using to sort atm
[$if2(%album artist%,%artist%,%album%) -][%album% /  %date%]]
>>
>>52172963
What does that right square bracket at the very end close
>>
>>52173040
You're right, shouldn't be there.
>>
If I install Windows 10, will I lose everything on my drive? As in have to reinstall as if it were a fresh install?

And if so, is there a way to keep my stuff other than backup?

>inb4 why would you
I'm asking, I'm genuinely curious
>>
File: 1411954979439.gif (946 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1411954979439.gif
946 KB, 300x400
>>52173097
Besides that, to answer your question,
>I stumbled on $crlf() but it doesn't seem to work and gets ignored.
It does work, it gets added then stripped off. You're trying to create a new line in a place that doesn't support new line creation. You can add a new column (you probably already new that). But besides that, you can't create what you want
>>
Can I use all four ports for RAM even though I've got two different brands/models of 8gb sticks (4gb each)? If I did, it'd be 16gb total, right?
>>
>>52172609
>>52172947
The size of Windows persists.
They often get moved to a different display than the one they were originally on. Say, the open browser window may stay at the position it was originally, or it may appear at the same position on the other display.
Sometimes position persists across displays, sometimes it resets Windows to (0;0).
>>
>>52172641
>Does more RAM require a better processor?
No.

>>52172663
It's still made by MS.
People who think MS are the devil haven't changed their mind.
>>
>>52173172
It could be the timing of the monitors turning off. If it is that, you might not be able to fix it
>>
>>52173211
I think it has something to do with Windows 'forgetting' a DP monitor when it turns off.
Windows keeps the desktop of a DVI display open and active when the device is off, but closes a DP display's desktop when it turns it off.
>>
File: 1383630874482.png (268 KB, 424x324) Image search: [Google]
1383630874482.png
268 KB, 424x324
Should I get a R9 390? Every other fucking review I read mentions ridiculous temps + driver issues
>>
I'm 27 and want to be a programmer. Do I have to be some child prodigy who has been coding since 8 years old to get a programming job?

I have a degree in physics that had a little programming but not a huge amount. Since then I have been teaching myself in my free time, reading books, doing various challenges I found here and the internet etc. How much do I need to know, or is it one of those things where it's just too late and I'm too far behind?

I often read on here that most programmers are idiots so that gives me hope.
>>
>>52173248
>but closes a DP display's desktop when it turns it off.
Ik, this is irrelevant but I have a 4k monitor. When my DP connection is off (monitor in sleep mode) the virtual monitor under Windows is 1024x768 and fucks all my Windows to the top left corner. I fixed this problem by creating a 4k virtual monitor in the registry, but I don't think it'll work for you
>>
>>52173266
judging from your post, you're already overqualified for a lot of programming jobs.
>>
>>52173257
I've had a 290X since launch and never any driver issues. Most of the issues are blown out of proportion. Nvidia has just as many issues.

>>52173279
Yeah, the same thing is happening here. Just that instead of moving them to a virtual desktop, Windows moves the windows to the DVI display. My problem is that is does not properly restore them when the DP display turns back on. It does some weird shit like create a new desktop every time the DP display turns on.
>>
File: giphy.gif (397 KB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
397 KB, 360x202
>>52167773
I'm trying to call Procs from within other Procs and I know that's not working. How can I accomplish what I'm trying to do? I started yesterday.

http://pastebin.com/z0GsaQeM
>>
is there any point of getting 4gb vram gpu right now?
>>
>>52173266
Nope. You still have hope.
My advice is find a good code bootcamp and take an intensive course.

You actually have a better chance of succeeding because all those 18y/o's have a shitty work ethic.

Programming is a broad field. Even to get a basic job, you'll have to specialize a bit.
Some important questions:
Do you want to do Web, Desktop (dying), iOS, or Android?
Do you want to specialize in Front-end, back-end, design, full-stack, databases, networking, security, machine learning, or data analysis?

If you go to a programmer bootcamp, they'll probably help you get a job too, so that's a plus.

If you're not set up with a fancy ass job by the bootcamp, your first job will likely suck. But that's okay because it's normal to change jobs every 1-3 years in the programming field. In 5-10 years you can be a very well paid intermediate to senior programer, assuming you keep learning and moving up and you don't stagnate.
>>
>>52173383
You need 8Gb for future proof
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Black-USB-32GB-32G-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-Pen-Drive-New-Lifetime-Warranty-/121361370606?hash=item1c41b38dee:g:regAAOSws65TmCIE

Does it look reliable?

I'm not going to buy one of those 32gb for 3 bucks flash drives but this one looks legit.
>>
File: 61Xqri-YW-L._SL1280_.jpg (98 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
61Xqri-YW-L._SL1280_.jpg
98 KB, 1280x1280
I'm looking for a box/HTPC device whose purpose is to play videos. Something like the Micca Speck (pic), but can handle higher bitrates and more demanding codecs like H265 and H264-Hi10P.

Is there something like that, or do I just have to break down and build an actual HTPC?
>>
>>52173409
hah no
>>
Are there any SATA/ACHI compatability drivers for win xp from MSI?
>>
>>52173461
Err for legacy motherboards ie LGA 775 those exist. If you are asking for drivers for the latest MSI Z97 GAMEN for XP then of course not. You know that.
>>
>>52173448
Well, it's advertised as a SanDisk flashdrive.

If it is fake I'll just ask for my money back on paypal and I'll keep the thing for free.
>>
>>52173140
Yeah, I think it's not possible to edit the NG playlist that way, I don't see where I can insert a vertical line to include the date under the album title.
>>
My site has intermittent 525 SSL Handshake errors with Cloudflare.

I tried disabling things in my Hiawatha configuration like URL Toolkit rules and RequireSSL. I also tried disabling "Full" SSL on Cloudflare (from off to "Flexible"), and my forwarding rule and https always rule.

Disabling everything gives me an "This page isn't redirecting properly" in the browser, which means there's an infinite loop or something (even on the static front page).

Any ideas what this might be?
>>
Downgrading to windows 7 has been a bitch on my laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed.

If I buy an SSD, install windows 7 on it, and then set it up to boot legacy drivers and from the SSD, it should boot Windows 7, even though I have Windows 10 on the main HDD?
>>
Is it worthwhile buying a VPN? Do they effectively guarantee your privacy?
>>
File: 20151231_102611.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151231_102611.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Gonna pick this up today. Is there a better chair around $120?
>>
Is pirate bay down? Why is it down? When will it be up again?
I need to illegally download some 1080p movie rips because i have a new 3TB hard drive ready to be filled.
>>
>>52173779
kat.cr
>>
>>52173779
Works on my machine
>>
>>52173396
>My advice is find a good code bootcamp and take an intensive course.
I've never considered a bootcamp before. After a quick google, Makers Academy seems like a successful UK based programme. They have an online version called Ronin for people like me who can't move to London. I'll keep looking into it, thanks.

>Do you want to do Web, Desktop (dying), iOS, or Android?
>Do you want to specialize in Front-end, back-end, design, full-stack, databases, networking, security, machine learning, or data analysis?
Out of those I'd say back-end work, networking, security, machine learning and data analysis are all things I find more interesting than designing user interfaces.

I'm extremely interested in audio programming and signal processing. I think it stems from my love of music, acoustics/sound and background in physics. If you're asking my dream job, right now I would say working as an audio plug in developer or even an audio programmer for a games company. From what I've read, a background in physics and a knowledge of signal processing is very advantageous. I'm just not sure how many positions there are available
>>
>>52173761

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60309732/#/70261145

this shit is super comfy
>>
I don't know if this is more for /flt/ or /sqt/, but I'll start here.

I need my computer to open the linux terminal and then automatically run todo in it on startup. I have been having trouble doing this.

Here's what I've done so far.
I made a shell script called launchtodo.sh, saved it in /etc/init.d, and made it executable:
#!/bin/bash
cd ~
todo

I then edited /etc/r.local and added the following line before 'exit 0':
sudo sh /etc/init.d/launchtodo.sh

Finally, I made both my script and rc.local executable.

I think the problem has to do with the fact that running the script on startup doesn't necessarily mean it will open up in the terminal and display itself there.
>>
>>52173972
>I think the problem has to do with the fact that running the script on startup doesn't necessarily mean it will open up in the terminal and display itself there.
You have identified the problem.

I'd recommend editing the application menu settings, finding the terminal application you use, then change it to run a command "todo" and to run it in terminal.

Something like that at least.
>>
Is it a good idea to reflow soldering my laptop's mobo?
>>
>>52173894
You have it? That price for a chair that looks so comfy seems too good to be true
>>
>>52174206

sitting in it right now, the first time you lean back is fucking orgasmic
>>
a = "Thursday 18th February"

How, in python, do I change this to a datestamp? I literally have no clue as to where to start
>>
Is One Punch man a good anime?
Should I watch it?
>>
File: 1420572260729.jpg (134 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1420572260729.jpg
134 KB, 800x792
HELP /G/

I'm trying to get ranger to preview images! My terminal is urxvt my Xresources is currently all commented out so it cant be a problem with the terminal. I installed w3m and an optional dependency to show images. Images are showing fine within the browser.

I created the rc.conf file and edited it to display_preview = true and borders = true aswell

according to everywhere I've looked it's supposed to work, so why isn't it? I just get the error ('failed to execute w3mimgdisplay' ,[] )
>>
>>52174325
k so I tried and got somewhere, but still struggling.

Anyone?
import re
import time

a = "Thursday 18th February / 18:00"
x = re.sub(r'(\d)(st|nd|rd|th)', r'\1', a)
timestamp = time.mktime(time.strptime(x, '%A %d %B / %H:%M')) #this is where it fails
>>
Is there any way I can watch twitch streams without I stalling flash. I have chromium and if doesn't support flash
>>
>>52174675
If Twitch doesn't into html5 or have any alternatives to flash, no.
>>
>>52174675
try https://github.com/chrippa/livestreamer
>>
File: 1451598109557.jpg (24 KB, 404x290) Image search: [Google]
1451598109557.jpg
24 KB, 404x290
I have a problem, my android devices audio streams are completely choppy and glitching badly only over wifi. But on mobile data they're fine. What could this be?

Other apps stream fine except for this one app on both devices.

Also I have a hacker nephew if that brings context.
>>
>>52174675
livestreamer
>>
>>52174498
Not that anyone likely cares, but the solution

import re
import time
from datetime import date

a = "Thursday 18th February / 18:00"
x = re.sub(r'(\d)(st|nd|rd|th)', r'\1', a)

yr = str(date.today().year)
yr = " " + yr

x = x + yr
timestamp = time.mktime(time.strptime(x, '%A %d %B / %H:%M %Y'))
print(timestamp)
>>
>>52174746
I care
>>
How can I setup screencast with Android?
>>
File: 1350584799979.jpg (19 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1350584799979.jpg
19 KB, 493x402
>>52174752
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-01-11-52-39.png (38 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-01-11-52-39.png
38 KB, 720x1280
Using a galaxy s3 rooted with CyanogenMod 12.1 (nightly) and I cannot for the life of me log into the steam app. I get this error every time over phone data and through home WiFi. What is the fucking deal?

I also have a Mother-of-all-AdBlock custom host file instead of using a regular adblocker - could it be blocking access?

The internet only has info on desktop connections.
>>
>>52174806
yes, you block too much.
try without adblocker.
>>
>>52174746
Why does it look like you're making things a lot harder than they need to be?
>>
How best can I jam a room to make in impenetrable to surveillance?
>>
>>52174831
Because I'm self-taught and literally have no idea what I'm doing
>>
>>52174848
Just put date.today() straight into the timestamp? Doesn't it return a string with today's date or something? Or do you want it to print it differently? Read the class and method description.
>>
is a gold 500w enough for a 970 and 4690k?
>>
Is my phone about to die if black elements display purple shadows when scrolling or is it WAI and I've just never noticed before? It's a Note 3
>>
>>52174893
There are power supply calculators online. I think it should be fine though.
>>
>>52174884
No, the timestamp will be a random date this year. I probably should have called it eventTimeStamp or something. I'll then compare this eventTimeStamp date to the current timestamp with time.time() so I can create a time series
>>
What anti virus software does /g/ recommend? Also, for those who upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, do you like it, or do you regret it?
>>
>>52174963
windows 8+ already has one integrated, no need for another one.
>>
>>52174921
There's likely a method in date that can give you that.
>>
Suddenly, I have money. So I can buy a new computer now that's not a piece of crap.

I don't know where to even start. Can anyone recommend a guide or something that can help me out? I don't even know if I want a desktop or laptop or tablet. I do know I want to get into Linux and try to get away from Windows but I have no idea where to start there either. Are there any manufacturers that pre-load Linux on there machines anymore?
>>
Should I get an R9 390 or wait until 980Ti price drops? I can live off my GTX 960 for a while I guess but it only has 2MB of vram
>>
>>52175014
sticky.
>>
>>52175039

I would wait for the next batch of GPUs to release, both AMD and Nvidia seem to have big plans for their next releases

a 960 will hold you over just fine if you're at 1080p
>>
>>52175065
What about 1080p 144hz?
>>
I am going to flash a new rom on my phone, how can i create a backup from the existing system that i can flash again in case of bricking it?
>>
>>52175133

titanium backup
>>
>>52175133
in your recovery you can make a system image which you then can recover easily
>>
File: twrp-backup.jpg (86 KB, 843x500) Image search: [Google]
twrp-backup.jpg
86 KB, 843x500
>>52175133
>>
>>52175081

probably not, but since both AMD and Nvidia will be debuting HBM gen2 on their next batch of GPUs I would say it's more than worth it to wait
>>
>>52175145
>>52175153
>>52175175
thank you!
>>
File: win10.jpg (2 MB, 4438x2959) Image search: [Google]
win10.jpg
2 MB, 4438x2959
Where can I acquire a copy of Windows 10 without paying for it and without getting any viruses (aside from the ones MS put in there already)? I want it to be activated as well.
>>
what would you use to remote access a windows machine from a linux machine (video stream is a must)
>>
File: bcp.gif (76 KB, 355x326) Image search: [Google]
bcp.gif
76 KB, 355x326
I don't know the name of this process so I'll just describe it the best that I can. What's it called when you connect to a website's available download files via the terminal? Like instead of going to www.website.com or whatever and browsing through their downloads section, isn't there a way to do this from the terminal line? For example, I want to browse/download these files here: https://cdn.media.ccc.de/ (it's using a CDN)

but I don't want to actually go to the website via the browser and click through the files. Am I retarded, or is this possible?
>>
>>52175217
It's free
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
>>
>>52175513
Okay, how long until it will shout at me to activate it or whatever?
>>
>>52175543
It won't. It's free to download and use. No activation or anything.
>>
Is it possible to use a non-apple M.2 PCI-e SSD in the early 2015 macbook pro? My SSD seems to be failing after I fucked with it a bunch.

Alternatively, is there a way I can speed up the boot sequence in the early 2015 rMBP? On a cold boot, it literally takes like two minutes to get to LightDM in Ubuntu. In a software reset, it boots normally.

Wat do?
>>
I've just picked up an iPad very very very cheap, and it's brand new.

I've never had an apple product in my life.

It's basically unanimous that I should jailbreak it right?
>>
>>52175608
>It's basically unanimous that I should break it right?
>>
>>52175608
That depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>52175585
Oh, that's the dumb home edition. That makes sense.
I just remembered I have an MSDN AA license of the EDU version, so I guess that solves the problem.
>>
>>52175623

I honestly don't even know what my options are I read quite a bit, so putting epub files on there might be nice. I also just generally don't like the homescreen of the iPad so I feel like customizing it. at the very least. makes jailbreaking practical.

What are some cool things that jailbreaking allows it to do?
>>
>>52175666
Pirate apps, SSH into it, customize some minor stuff.
>>
>>52175637
>dumb home edition
>dumb

What did the Home edition ever do to you anon?
>>
>>52175709
Well, I have a pretty big gripe with Windows in general.
>>
>>52174722
let me rephrase that.

Can a hacker block a stream over a home network?(Comcast)
>>
>>52175765
>hacker nephew
wow, spoopy

Yes, you could totally disrupt the wifi access to any device on a network. Look up ARP poisoning, that's one way to do it.
But if it's only audio streams, then the problem could be with your ISP.
>>
File: image.jpg (949 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
949 KB, 2592x1936
What the fuck am I downloading this time?
>>
>>52174893

Yeah, I'd get a 600 though to be on the safe side when OCing hard.
>>
>>52175835
Looks like a Windows 10 upgrade screen.
>>
>>52175835
Viruses and backdoors, most likely.
>>
>>52175835
you are not downloading anything.
It says exactly on your screen what happens.
>>
>>52175014

Logical increments. Try building a PC, it's fun and you'll learn a thing or two about consumer electronics.
>>
>>52175194
I dunno man thats probably gonna be real spensive
>>
>>52175918

the 980ti isn't going to drop in price again until around the time those cards release so you're going to wait one way or another
>>
>>52170045
because anime isn't real familia
>>
>>52175899
What the fuck am I updating this time?
>>
>>52175819
I figured. Both my phone and tablet work fine on the network except for that one app.

The app was really glitchy anyways and I contacted them to see if they could help.

BTW my nephew was on second life sending hacks to another hacker, vise versa and now his new laptop is edging already. I told him that was his business and didn't want anything to do with it.

Now I fear our home internet is at stake.
>>
So I've earned like 1 million dollars from Bitcoin trading (extremely lucky).

What should I do with it? Best desktop, laptop, phone, etc?
>>
>>52175967
Your dumb fucking OS, you retarded mongoloid.
>>
File: i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
So I want to make a decimal to binary converter in java with recursion and i want it to have an int as parameter and i want it to return a String.

Can someone do that please?
>>
>>52175967
november update if you didn't install it yet.
>>
I'm buding a new PC, but I keep going over my budget, so I thought I could save up by taking the RAM sticks from my old computer. It's about 4 or 5 years old, and I'm guessing the RAM is 1333mhz DDR3.

Will I get good preformance from it or should I get new ones?
>>
>>52175986
>>52175996
Thanks
>>
I got a Radeon HD 7970 (which is basically a r9 280x) for 150 bucks for my mid-end gaming computer.
Did I fuck up? or was it the right choice??
>>
>>52175978
with a million it doesn't really matter what you buy, look up an ultimate pc build for 2016 on youtube and something will pop up.

gor a laptop I'd honestly recommend a mac book pro, if you're just gonna use it to browse the internet and do some work than they're the most comfortable and best performing choice.
>>
>>52175978
Send some to me, yo. Poor people need money too.
>>
>>52175997
ddr3 1333mhz is almost as good as 1600mhz, which is the standard for an average computer.
You won't notice the difference, check out some benchmarks.
>>
>>52176068
will it still be just as good after 4 years of intensive use? idk if RAM wears out or something.

also, it's only 8gb, so if I ever want to go up to 16, I'll probably have teouble finding the exact matching model.
>>
What's a good brand for flash drives?

I'm tired of my shitty Kingston taking almost 20 min to write 4Gb.
>>
File: 800px-PHP-n_logo.svg.png (55 KB, 800x421) Image search: [Google]
800px-PHP-n_logo.svg.png
55 KB, 800x421
I have PHP set up on my nginx box, and it works perfectly when I go to my site via the direct IP as the URL, but it doesn't work when I go to my site's domain name.

Anyone know what might be causing this behaviour?
>>
>>52175602
Anybody? pls halp
>>
>>52176101
It depends on how much more you want to use them. 4 years is not a lot in terms of usage. I had the same ddr2 800mhz 2gb ram for like 6-7 years and it still functioned.

You can expect it to run for, lets say, 4 years.
>>
Have an old ThinkPad, runs windows 98 I think, sticker says made in Scotland on the bottom, finish is like rubber on the lid? Any use or value
>>
>>52175997
it will be fine
>>
>>52176158
alright, thank you.

what about upgrading though? if I want to add another 8gb, will I have to find the exact brand and model that I'm using or is that just a meme? I have no idea what brand or model the sticks are since it's not a custom pc.
>>
>>52176244
Use speccy to figure out that information.
I'm not sure about brands, but the other RAM MUST have the same frecuency, latency, etc.
>>
ur fine
>>
>>52176145
did you set your server_name in your nginx config?
>>
>>52176141
Next time, read what read/write speeds the shit you buy has then, retard.
>>
What is an affordable headset ($40-50) that I can get that won't break in a year or sound like shit? With mic preferred.
>>
>>52175987
>>52176407
Integer.toBinaryString(int i)
>>
>>52176447
Yes I know that method, I just wanted to make my own. But it could only return one character at once for some reason.
>>
The Screen of my S4 has cracked and now the whole display needs to be replaced.
Is it worth it?
What's an alternative for the same power?
>>
File: 1401435312623.png (466 KB, 3333x3333) Image search: [Google]
1401435312623.png
466 KB, 3333x3333
>>52176507
>>
how many different passwords of length 6 or 7 or 8 can be formed?
it can contain only lower case letters and only one digit
>>
I have a problem in Linux mint:

I can't play .mkv files.
I get the sound, but no picture - and I've tried with multiple encoders/players (including VLC, SMPlayer and MPV)

Anybody?
>>
>>52172478
set up a hackintosh
>>
>>52176555
If that includes random ass passwords like ah1cdef then it would be something like

(26 lowercase letters) (10 digits) 36^8

Or something. I'm bad at math.
>>
>>52175978
>1 million dollars
fake, you wouldnt be on 4chan right now faggot
>>
>>52167792
Mxq definitely.
>>
>>52176564
What GPU and what drivers? You may have to go into your mpv.conf file (~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf) and experiment with different video outputs.
>>
>>52176555
it's like 8^26 for just letters, and of that format for the other variations.
>>52176564
you're missing a library for it, most likely. check the optional dependencies for mpv. that's what I would do first, at least.
>>
>>52176397
I'm pretty sure that being 7-8 years old has nothing to do you fucking faggot.
>>
>>52176555
>>52176586
Or if it's only one digit it would be more complex like

36x(26^7)
>>
My motherboard manufacturer recommends putting my RAM only in pairs. I put 8gb in dual channel and added one more 4GB stick, total of 12GB.

Can this unsupported RAM configuration be responsible of my constant display driver crashes?
>>
>>52176730
no
>>
>>52176746

No matter what driver they still happen. Using a 4690k but no video card.

Are integrated graphics this troublesome?
>>
>>52176187

There are collectors on ebay, sell it.
>>
I'm planning on getting a new CPU, since my FX-4200 was originally purchased as a placeholder. It's done admirably for a $60 chip, but it definitely shows it's age. My question is: should I get an FX-8320 or an FX-8370? I'm thinking I could just OC the 8320 to the same speed as the 8370, but I'm also not too knowledgeable about CPUs.
>>
>>52176591
Okay...

If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? What tech would you buy?
>>
>>52176641
someone else gave me this answer
6 * 10 * 26^5 + 7 * 10 * 26^6 + 8 * 10 * 26^7
>>
>>52176730
>manufacturer recommends putting my RAM only in pairs
For dual channel, it accesses two banks in parallel, effectively doubling memory bandwidth. The way these work, the RAM has to be the same size, and work on the same timings. So, two same size sticks of RAM with different timings are used at the slowest common timings. If the sticks are different sizes, the memory controller goes into single channel mode, because the alternative would be to ignore the extra in the larger stick.

Single channel mode isn't less stable, just slower.
>>
>>52177080

Got it, looks like I get to keep my 12GB of RAM. I guess this issue goes unnoticed since everyone with a 4690k uses a videocard and just disables integrated graphics.
>>
Should I get a modular psu? Also I'm guessing I should get one with more watts than I actually need just to be safe?
>>
Why the technology board is named /g/?

/g/entoo?
/g/nu?
/g/nome?
/g/oyim?
Bill /g/ates?
>>
Is there some format script for mp3tag which can automatically search for specific words and de-capitalize them, if they're not the first word in the tag category?

I want to make sure all artist/album/title tags in my library don't have incorrectly capitalized "from", "the", "of", and so on.
>>
>>52177156

Get more wattage but don't be excesive. My seasonic's g-series is semi modular and so far the cable management has been a breeze.
>>
>>52177163
/g/ay nerds
>>
>>52177184
>2016
>Not using Musicbrainz Picard to manage the music collection

Seriously Anon, give it a try.
>>
>>52177163
my guess would be because of the last syllable of the word "technology" tech-nolo-G"
>>
>>52177226
Tried it long ago, it's awful. So many wrong tags and failed tags, and it doesn't tag my collection exactly how I want anyway.
>>
>>52177163
/g/ore
>>
>>52177163
/g/aijin
>>
>>52176331
I hadn't set it, but now I did, and still nothing:

server{
server_name mydomain.tld;
}

Of course, I restarted nginx after changing the conf.
>>
>>52177349
post the full config
>>
>>52172478
Dunno, Anon.
But try to look here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
>>
Is this what being a system administrator is like?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE
>>
>>52174415
Come on /g/ you love anime
I don't know anything
>>
>>52176946
Bump
>>
File: Capture.png (28 KB, 608x401) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
28 KB, 608x401
Why does the Denmarks cell service providers are raising their prices? My 99kr pkan got upgraded just this november, but now a plan like mine costs 20kr more.
>>
>>52177363
http://pastebin.com/hWSD3JpK

and the included fastcgi_params

http://pastebin.com/RAbDq0a5
>>
>>52177516
Read the manga and/or webcomic
>>
Are there anywhere some good and continously updated IPTV m3u lists?

80% on google don't work, so I'm looking for a good source.
>>
>>52177563
Is the show not good then?
>>
what is a good image viewer program besides irfan view
needing to click a button to zoom in on something is absolutely garbage, legitimately switching back to windows image viewer because of this
>>
>>52177607
picasa photo viewer
>>
>>52177617
>open internet exploder when I have chrome installed
lol what
>>
>>52177592
it's very good, but the budget wasn't up to what the manga shows. pity it's harder to find these days. thanks Viz.
go watch it. the hulu subs are atrocious, though.
>>
What's the best way to play a downloaded movie on my android phone on a chromecast?

I tried to just cast my screen, but the playback is laggy and disconnects a lot. Netflix streaming works perfectly with chromecast. Is there any way to have that quality with a video file?
>>
I wrote a program in Java only to realize I need to convert it to Objective-C to get it onto iOS. What's the easiest way for me to learn Objective-C coming from a strong Java/Lisp background? Should I learn C first and then progress or just skip that step?
>>
>>52177163
technolo/g/, all memes aside.
>>
>>52177697
Not really no
>>
>>52177697
You have to make a worthy sacrifice to the ancient Sumerian god of Anu.

Any human child should do.
>>
I wonder who creates threads like /sqt/, /dpt/, /flt/, /spg/.
Are they created by anons? by mods? are they scheduled?
>>
>>52177653
Thanks mate
>>
>>52177736
>Any human child should do
How about you

>>52177749
I came to /g/ from /b/ like five years ago. I make a sqt if there isn't one already
>>
>>52177749
Autistic anons who do it for free. They aren't scheduled, they're made by whoever when the last thread hits bump limit.
>>
>>52177697
Localcast or Avia, there's plenty of apps that let you stream local files though those are the two I use
>>
I want to replace my cell line with Skype. Is it a retarded idea?
>>
>>52177777
Excuse me just checking
>>
need a barebones smartphone that works with android sleep.
nothing more
>>
>>52177769
>I make a sqt if there isn't one already
I've had to do that a few times. Annoying really.
>>
>>52177798
You colossal faggot
>>
>>52177810
Moto E
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.