[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm upgrading my GPU after living with a Radeon HD 5570
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 2636247282.png (471 KB, 460x380) Image search: [Google]
2636247282.png
471 KB, 460x380
So I'm upgrading my GPU after living with a Radeon HD 5570 for 5 years.
I picked out a ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 to replace it
My question is, is this card compatible with a
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?
I'm not very tech-savvy so any advice is help is really appreciated.
>>
Maybe so?
>>
I don't know much about this techonology thing but if a motherboard has enough PCI express slots then maybe it can handle a graphics card
>>
I don't know
>>
No it won't , the BIOS chips in that motherboard isn't compatible with the software pre installed in the gpu. It would just show a black sceeen
>>
Yes, make sure you have enough power to run it and you'll be fine.
>>
>>52164340
This OP. The there isn't even a way to update the BIOS chips. That what you get for getting s gigabyte mobo
>>52164346
No
>>
Can you repeat the question
>>
>>52164340
Even if you could get the BIOS chips working with the gpu , everyone knows that Asus and Gigabyte are incompatible with each other anyway
>>
>>52164340
Thanks for clearing that up. so would that be an issue with all recent GPUs or just that one in specific?
Would a XFX Double D Radeon R9 280 DirectX 11.2 R9-280A-TDFD 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 work with the mbo?
I'm just trying to keep from buying more parts than I absolutely have to,
>>
If you value your computer don't buy that GPU.
What are your other options?
>>
>>52164419
No , only older generations cards work since they are compatible your socket and BIOS chip.

The best thing you could pair with it is like an HD 7770

Seems you have to get a new mobo and CPU.

Also XFX gpus only work with AMD CPUs anyway
>>
>>52164440
What am I looking at? Isn't the appeal of the GTX960 its low power usage?
>>
File: windows memory use.png (35 KB, 1093x661) Image search: [Google]
windows memory use.png
35 KB, 1093x661
Remember to install Vista ulatimate
>>
>>52164460
Pcie lane can provide up to 75w of power for your graphics card.
The gtx 960 strix draws over 250w in random power spikes, damaging your motherboard over time.
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is pci backwards compatible
>>
ITT: OP falls for low-quality bait and can't research shit
>>
>>52164218
>2016
u realize cpu's have graphics built into the die right?
>>
>>52164340
Yeah, GIGABYTE used to use a proprietary vertex buffer cache but ceased doing so recently. As such GPU makers have stopped adding functionality for their propriety VBC. This unfortunately broke backwards compatibility.
>>
I just got a gtx 960 do yourself the favor and save up the extra for a gtx 970 or amd 390 the jump in performance will be well worth it especially if your gonna wait another 5 years to upgrade
>>
>>52164340
>>52164754
If OP throws his board in a particle accelerator it might swap with a board from an alternate dimension where backward compatibility does exist though.
>>
>>52164218
If it has a pcie 16x slot, any pciex 16 gpu will work. Doesnt matter if it is "3.0", or "2.0". They are backwards compatible.
>>
>>52164790
can we swap OP for one that isn't a faggot while we're at it?
>>
This thread
>>
File: goki.jpg (15 KB, 280x385) Image search: [Google]
goki.jpg
15 KB, 280x385
>>52164956
I think you forgot your image buddy
>>
>>52164789
regret: the post
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.