[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Year of the Ubuntu Desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: ubuntu.jpg (937 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
937 KB, 1920x1080
Happy new year /g/, are you excited for year of the Ubuntu Desktop?

>Unity 8
>Mir
>Snappy
>ZFS file system
>>
>>52163844
It does look pretty good, but I prefer MATE.
>>
How the fuck did they make it look even shittier than before? Are those fucking round transparent borders around the windows?

There exists someone who thought of this and said, "That's a good idea"
>>
At last, the year we have been waiting for. the year of the linux desktop
>>
>Product manufacturer name
>>
File: rms.jpg (1 MB, 2700x1801) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
1 MB, 2700x1801
>>52163907
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52163962

Piss off, retard.
>>
File: backtov.png (167 KB, 709x636) Image search: [Google]
backtov.png
167 KB, 709x636
>>52163996
>>
year of the mint desktop when
>>
>>52164013
dude, Mint IS the most used distro at the everyday user level.
>>
>willingly downloading a botnet
>>
>>52163891
not just that. but there was at least one other cunt that agreed with him...
>>
>>52164010

Go back to reddit, children.
>>
>>52164087
touched a nerve there qt?
>>
>Mir
Literally cancer.
>>
I'm using Xubuntu, I'll get the new file system right?
>>
>>52164241
I think all *buntu based distros will get new file system
>>
>>52164026

you realize they took out the botnet stuff in unity 8, right?
>>
File: laptop-kit.jpg (481 KB, 2048x1015) Image search: [Google]
laptop-kit.jpg
481 KB, 2048x1015
>>52163844
Year of the Ubuntu desktop on a 64 bit ARM laptop? Yes please.
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
>>52163962
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system)!= (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>52163891
I think will be options to change window border transperancy/size
>>52163844
I really do not like how Unity devs are isolating themselves and using Mir
>>
2016 transparent windows borders is making a comeback!
>>
>>52163844
>500 pixel border radius

BLOAT
>>
>>52163844
Does mir only work with unity?
Also
>implying mir will even get implemented and supported by third party software in 2016
>>
>>52164429
Mir will work best with Unity, I suspect variants will use wayland.
>>
Steam Linux game announcements are happening more and more frequently.
>>
>>52164458
>wayland
Maybe in the year 3000
>>
>>52164477
You can already use wayland in gnome, if you don't mind free drivers.
>>
>>52163844
I'd be excited if it wasn't for the retarded amount of padding and stupidly sized UI elements. I don't care about UI's being touch screen friendly, people aren't running desktop linux on tablets ffs
>>
>>52164515
But wayland requires programs to be specifically coded for it? Otherwise it will just run an instance of x
>>
I still prefer Xubuntu.
>>
>>52163962
this tbqh
Everyone who only says "Linux" is retarded
>>
>>52165066
Everyone who says GNU/Linux is equally retarded
>>
>>52163844
>Shit
>Shit
>Shit
>breddy gud :DDDDDd
>>
>>52165108
Lignux master race
>>
>>52164026
there is no botnet, its open source
>>
>>52164535
AHEM!!

desu though that is way too much if you don't have a touch screen, but it's Linux so themes and shit can change it. Fuck, I bet it'll have a setting out of the box for it.
>>
>>52163844
If that is Unity 8 than I have no interest in it. Unity 7 is already ugly, but that? Oh boy.
>>
>>52163844
They should fix the bugs in current software enough so I can give it to my mom all setup by me, and have the "app store" work properly, and not be slow on a nice ultrabook.
>>
>>52164389
> The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler.

Oh, that's the FSF's only contribution? How about the coreutils? chown? cat? cp? You think the kernel developers write those, or are we still using the same ones written for unix in 1978? What about GNOME? grep? The gzip specification?
>>
>>52164535
At least microsoft can say, "we have a whole line of touch tablets/laptops running windows x" to justify that UI shift. I know Canonical is all about convergence but I sincerely doubt that's going to be happening in 2016.
>>
>>52166170
Quotes directly by Linus and those could be replaced without any problem making them and they are simple utilites used in an operating system, they did not create Linux, only used by the system to perform task while GPL and GCC played a giant role in the creation of Linux but using a compiler or license doesn't give the creator of those rights to affect the project in anyway unless stated before using.
>>
>>52163844
>ZFS filesystem

I keep hearing about this, where the FUCK does it say Ubuntu 16.04 is going to have ZFS
>>
>>52166170
>what about a list of programs a undergrad could write
>what about a shitty DE
>what about compression spec #142

kill yourself
>>
>>52166547
My point wasn't that the FSF does anything of merit, only that what's running on a "Linux" computer shouldn't be called just "linux".
>>
>>52166536
It's already in the repos.
>>
>>52166571
It should be called just Linux.

Your GNU toolchain is does not define the OS. It merely defines the default and for the most part forced front end that's used in most distros.
>>
>Load up daily build of 16.04
>Looks nothing like OPs image

Did I download the wrong thing or something?

Also Mir will kill Wayland, I'm guessing. Even as Mir will have some hugely retarded fuck ups (because it's not a new thing if it doesn't).
>>
>>52166590
> Your GNU toolchain is does not define the OS.
But the kernel does?
>>
>>52166617
You need to install the unity-next iso that runs MIR and Unity 8.
>>
>>52166620
Why would the kernel not? Without it you have nothing.

Without GNU's shitty software you can just use replacements already available.

GNU is just a wolf in disguise under the FSF movement that wants to try and lock people in and then claim credit.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.