[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into embedded programming? It seems to be the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: learner.png (207 KB, 396x462) Image search: [Google]
learner.png
207 KB, 396x462
How do I get into embedded programming? It seems to be the only non-shit way to make money writing software but I don't know how to proceed or foster an interest.

I'm fairy good at C with a almost half a decade experience.
>>
>>52158754
read up on embedded programming in c
get a book or something dummy

then apply for jobs at companies that use microcontrollers or embedded systems
>>
embedded is also c++ nowadays. No need to learn all that 80s crap.
>>
File: 1446990102822.png (317 KB, 796x712) Image search: [Google]
1446990102822.png
317 KB, 796x712
>>52158772
and what about the second part of my question about creating interest? I've read like three intro books on embedded and it's dry as hell.
>>
>>52158810
if embedded becomes entirely C++ I will just move into the woods and start a farm. I'm pretty sure C is still a major player based on my research.
>>
>>52158818
If you have no interest the stop trying to force it. Embedded is literally the least rewarding and most time consuming type of programming
>>
File: 1444960934904.jpg (32 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
1444960934904.jpg
32 KB, 1008x720
>>52158858
I'm pushing cause it's the last area before I stop pursuing software development as a means of income. My guess is it's too shit like you say and I'll have to leave my hobby as a hobby.
>>
If you aren't interested in it don't bother.
>>
>>52158754
People will tell you Arduino is embedded programming on easy mode. And they're not wrong, but it's a good way to start without getting to frustrated. It's also using a very C like subset of C++, so your chops on that will get better (some arduino programs are actually in straight c, but it's not the default you see in most tutorials)

Go for a socketed arduino, learn on that. Then learn to use the arduino board as a programmer, and write c directly (without arduino framework) for avr, then some asm for avr. At that point, maybe get one of the through hole ARM micros, and continue.
>>
>>52158754
Apply to the local toaster factory to make smart toasters
>>
>>52159078
I completely misread your last line about knowing C btw. But still, that order is good.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.