[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So There is no such thing as fool proof back up? >cloud services
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 1445895420590.jpg (34 KB, 332x303) Image search: [Google]
1445895420590.jpg
34 KB, 332x303
So There is no such thing as fool proof back up?

>cloud services rely on internet connection
>hard drive can fail all the sudden

Why even live?
>>
>>52157293
>piece of paper, physical pictures can only dissapear manually or by natural disasters
Technology just cannot keep up.
>>
>what is magnetic tape
>>
>>52157293
offsite backup of backups
it is more likely that you get killed than three sources of your files would vanish instantly at once
>>
>>52157293
>what is a tape drive
>>
>>52157362
>>52157342
>Over years, magnetic tape can suffer from deterioration called sticky-shed syndrome. Caused by absorption of moisture into the binder of the tape, it can render the tape unusable.

>people still find are and old scriptures form thousands of years ago
>>
>>52157293
well I mean theoretically there could be an asteroid strike tomorrow that bathes the earth in fire and kills your data, your online backups, your offsite backups, your offline backups, and the various backups you have of all of those.

you can never get a 100% guarantee, you can just create several layers of defenses so that the more important a given piece of data is, the more stars would have to align to kill it.
>>
>>52157293
Make multiple backups. I have two full backups on my secondary drives and a partial backup (files that I frequently update and don't want to lose) on a flash drive, obviously encrypted. Unless a flood or earthquake occurs I should be fine.
>>
write out the 1s and 0s on paper.

easy stuff.
>>
>>52157392
Most physical literature probably didn't even survive 100 years. Less than 1% of physical literature survived. What a reliable backup.
>>
>>52157293
There is, its called optical media. I have CD/DVD backups from 8 years ago that still function. They don't get corrupt because the disc is neatly inside its case and never used often, so no scratches on the surface.

alternatively I have stopped hoarding data and free myself from backup nonsense. Just some important work files and documents on my onedrive and google drive. few anime and music folders on my flash drive and one spare flash drive with Ubuntu ready in case Windows shits itself and I need to recover data.
>>
Stop hoarding. Your most important data is probably less than 2gb. Just make 20+ backups.
>>
File: days without jewish tricks.jpg (32 KB, 439x290) Image search: [Google]
days without jewish tricks.jpg
32 KB, 439x290
>>52157501
>Yes! Use the cloud for all your media!
>>
>>52157609
I never mentioned the cloud.
>>
>>52157501

>not downloading the whole internet
>>
>>52157293
Anything over 1 backup point against failure makes the risk exponentially low that anything will fuck up.

>1 cloud
>1 external hdd

you're set and finished
>>
How many times do cloud services backup your file? I'm sure it's not impossible for your files to get deleted somehow on the cloud.
>>
Use punch cards.
>>
entropy ensures that nothing can be permanently backed up

ever
>>
>get platinum slab
>engrave exact copy of hdd in binary
>manually input binary into new hdd if old one fails

Come on, Anon.
>>
I back everything up to my server. From there I back the server up on an external.
>>
bulk buy at least 100 500gb-1tb hard drives, dump a full copy of all your data on it and send the interns with coffee cans and shovels out to various parks both in city, out of city, and just random locations in the mountains, have them bury and catalog all the locations, do this for the nightly backup.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-29-21-30-35.png (201 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-29-21-30-35.png
201 KB, 1024x768
Someone suck my pussy
>>
>>52158332
stop being lewd, anon
>>
Always follow 3-2-1 and you'll never lose data

I have all important data saved on my computer and my wife's computer, saved in both hdd and ssd, and have a backup of everything in my office at work

For all of my data to be lost an atom bomb would need to be dropped on Columbia sc
>>
>>52157318
My waterproof ssd will hold up just fine
>>
>>52158264
> implying it's that simple
> implying platinum doesn't corrode easily compared to gold
>>
>>52157293
Some RAID configurations are 99.9% foolproof, though they require 8 - 12 disk arrays.
>>
>>52160301
What if the power supply goes pop?
>>
>>52160425
Gotta have a PDU system in place or there's no point to raid. That's why all servers and storage arrays have dual power supplies.
>>
File: th.jpg (15 KB, 300x261) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
15 KB, 300x261
>>52157293
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

All things erode, anon-san.
>>
>not using Tarsnap
>>
>>52157392
>absorption of moisture

Tape is more reliable than hdds and sdds for archival storage. You should be keeping your drives at low humudity areas if you want them to last decades anyway.
>>
>>52157392
But you probably don't need all of your backups to work, just the most recent ones.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.