[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >try to jam usb microphone into broken port >computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1406735234969.gif (3 MB, 440x321) Image search: [Google]
1406735234969.gif
3 MB, 440x321
>be me
>try to jam usb microphone into broken port
>computer abruptly shuts off
>restarts several times, never passes splash screen
>hit reset
>doesn't turn on
>no fans
>no hdd bootups

wtf did i do /g/? psu or mobo issue?

peripherals are now flashing lights if they have them
>>
you shorted the mobo
get a new one
>>
>>52153411
Install gentoo
>>
>>52153422
so what exactly happened
>>
>>52153450
Since you have no knowledge of how electricity or circuits work I would recommend throwing it in the trash. Ask your mother to then buy you something like a shiny new MacBook and promise her you'll be more careful next time.
>>
>>52153411
Just send it for diagnostics, it's a broad issue
>>
Kek, had something similar happen when trying to see if an old hdd was still funtional. Tried plugging it in while pc was running too, it didn't show up at first, but then it showed 2 drives, which I found weird, but if I was going to be able to recover some of my old stuff, I'd be really happy. I opened the first drive, it was empty, ok then. I opened the second one. It froze the pc. I tried everything, but it wouldn't respond. I pressed the reset button, it stopped at the flashing _ (forgot it's name). I took it out and it just booted up and had no problems, like nothing ever happened.
>>
>>52153411
>he plugged his case's headphone jack into the power button header of his mobo

lel
>>
Did your 'microphone' actually mean your penis?
>>
Sounds like you bent a pin in the port and shorted it out. I had this happen to a front panel usb port once. I just unplugged it from the motherboard to prevent any damage. Everything has been good so far after that except for two dead ports on my front panel.
>>
test
>>
>>52154379
No, he caused a short. Depending on how much the USB mic draws, it could be up to 25W.

Keep in mind, some of the most effective tasers output 7W (yeah, sure, at 10,000 times the voltage of a USB port) so that's more than effective to fry a motherboard.

(Max output of the USB2.0 ports on my desktop with XFastUSB by ASRock for charging mobile devices effectively: 5V, 5A. V x A = W, so 25W ... In case anyone was wondering where my wattage number came from)
>>
>>52154436
This only happens if it doesn't have over-current protection though.
It seems like we have the answer whether OP had any protection. kek
>>
>don't listen to anons with experience
Go ahead and brick your shit then, nigger.
>>
>>52153450
You shorted the usb
As you know usb had a small voltage to charge stuff. You basically connected + & -
Now unplug the usb port on your motherhood.
If it still does not boot reset cmos.
If you broke the port in the motherboard you can try to pry the remains out of the port casing and with luck it still works.
However most likely your bird has no sufficient electrical protection and is kill
>>
USB ports have a fuse. Shouldn't it have protected his board in the case of a short?
>>
>>52153411
Where can I find more shitty amateur animations like this?
>>
>>52153411

You probably shorted the USB port, check if there's any metal touching metal inside the USB port - that happened to me once.
>>
>>52157136
The fuck you talking about? That's a clip from Disney's the Lion King
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.