[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people buy Macs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 37
Other than cretin applications. Is there any other reason?
>>
>>52146175

Music production? DAW?
>>
>>52146193
Someone didn't fully read.
>>
It just werks™

Also MBPs are a status symbol for shitposting in coffee shops.
>>
>>52146175
Facebook?

Mine throttles with 1440p video
>>
>>52146175
Maybe some people dont want to shit around and play video games and use shitty software like MS Office like you neets do but do something productive instead, like watching YouTube.
>>
>>52146175
If you're fully balls-deep in the iLife, the integration of various services/platforms/software is pretty cool. It's like totally subscribing to Google-everything, except with a giant dildo up your ass instead of Larry Page building more super-yachts with your mined data.

It does have some services that even Google doesn't do quite yet, like calling or receiving calls via your actual cell number on your computer vs. having to do some odd Google voice forwarding stuff, which is kind of neat.

But generally yeah, it's Google of a different flavor.

iMessage/facetime -> hangouts
Continuity -> Chrome thingie

It's kind of funny that Google essentially offers many of the same features but instead of putting it on premium-priced hardware, they decided to put it on super budget hardware, except for the Pixel.

I built my parents a hackintosh recently, and during the time I was building/testing it (which covered two months leading up to Christmas), I got really familiar with OSX and iOS (my work-assigned phone is an iPhone 6), and it's a pretty nice ecosystem.

It's just that:
A) The interface still sucks ass. Window management is still shit. Finder is still shit (thankfully spotlight is good). Many options are not readily accessible, like the bool variable to turn off alternate characters over repeating letters must be command line; no way in the GUI.
B) There are WAY more bugs than Mac-retards are willing to admit. For instance, if you have a USB mic (say for instance, you want to use a Logitech C920 which has both a far superior webcam and a far superior mic setup than any mac), Facetime generally does not want to ever use anything but the internal mic even if you set it to USB mic in your OS settings. Or sleep: that shit breaks every other update on my brother's MBA, and apparently everyone else's shit too. The list goes on and on but I'm running out of space.
>>
it's pretty
>>
My mbp produces warmer packets than a wonduze machine
>>
>>52146859
6.5/10
>>
i'm a producer and during liveshows if the feed gets unplugged with windows shit you have to exit ableton and pick up where you left off with mac you just plug it back in
>>
>>52146568
Most of my CS professors are getting the LATEST MORE PRICED MBP and I seriously can't fathom why, maybe they get a big discount or they're laundering state's money :/
>>
osx is the best operating system, macs are the best hardware for osx to run on (i use a hackintosh so i'm well aware of the problems with hackintoshes..)

/thread
>>
>1000$ for 8GB RAM
I thought that was normal
>ifunny
o okay

anyway, if you can't understand how statussymbols work you should do something about it.
also every CS related prof at my uni uses a mb, so they can't be that bad.
>>
>>52147111
Spotted the butthurt macfag.
>>
>>52147167
It's paid for by the school most likely, and if not, they can legitimately claim it as a business expense.
>>
>>52147210
beta professors with more money than they know what to do with, they're hardly gonna have a Dell.
>>
you guys do realize when you say macbooks are bad, you look like a retard to anyone actually "in the industry" or with a dime of knowledge on computers/programming/software/etc..
>>
>>52146193
>Music production? DAW?
Things that are better done on a windows platform anyway?
>>
>>52147338
Do you realize most people you're reffering to have more money than they know what to do with it?

Anyway, outside the US pretty much no one gives a fuck about Apple computers, they're just overpriced underpowered laptops wich only a few dozen of people have a need for (exclusive software).
>>
>>52147338
Why would someone with knowledge in programming or software be using OSX?
>>
>>52147446
>>52147631
why would someone with knowledge in programming be using unix??? theres your answer.

OSX has all the functionality of linux with commercial support (and xcode). theres a reason that people use xcode, how about you stop being a little 13 year old and actually get a job.
>>
I think the main problem has been the lack of good laptops in the mid range, around £200 - 800 there was almost nothing in the UK until recently, maybe a little in part to decent tablets and chromebook tier laptops below that now. That vacuum and apple's brand image gave them great leverage with their laptops which all hover around £800+ starting for their most chic models.
>>
>>52147716
chinkpads
>>
>>52146175
>cretin applications
>>
File: 1348975549582.jpg (53 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
1348975549582.jpg
53 KB, 197x190
>be in engineering

>majority of students and profs are not using Apple products
>>
>ifunny
>>
>>52147662
Good to know today's programmers are focusing on OSX's massive long-running software scene.
>>
Consumerism for 99.4% of people. It's the same reason people upgrade their phones every 9-12 months even though their current one works perfectly. I still own a S3.
>>
File: disgusting3.png (171 KB, 383x422) Image search: [Google]
disgusting3.png
171 KB, 383x422
Here's a story from retail

>Artsy looking guy walks in
>Wants to buy a macbook with 8gb of ram
>He's been eyeing this cheapest macbook pro we have for sale, comes with 4gb only
>Have to place a custom order for a 8gb model (basically apple installs more memory for it, and charges at least $100 for a $25 memory unit)
>Apple guy has left for the day and the guy wanted to know more apple insight so I tell him to come back tomorrow if he wants the full details
>Promise to check things out for him anyways
>Open up the spec sheet
>Thing costs (locally) like $1300 and it's a 2012 model. A fucking 2012 model in 2015
>I later mention this incident to the apple sales guy and he says he doesn't even know why they carry the model
>Try to bring this guy to reality
>2015 model (brand new model) has a WAY sharper screen (old one was like 13" and 1400x900 or something), new one has the retina display (buzzword), sharp as a razor anyway
>2015 model has 8gb of ram right off the shelf
>2015 model has a brand new i5 with a higher clock and everything
>2015 model has an SSD
>Make absolutely zero comission selling this shit (desu not even my job) but I just can't bear this guy spending a lot of money for a laptop which hardware wise would cost maybe 500 if even that. That's almost a third of what the guy is ready to pay to have that apple logo
>Guy keeps telling me he doesn't have money, he'll buy the more expensive one if I drop the prices
>Can't drop prices, but inside I'm like nigga it's like 15% more eat noodles for a week or something, if you have $1300 you have $1500
>Try to convince him even a macbook air is better than the old macbook pro he's eyeing
>Tell him to come back the next day (we were closing)
>85% sure the apple guy with his black shirt with a silver logo manages to convince this guy otherwise

It's seriously absurd what people are prepared to pay just to get that fucking logo on their shitty products. It doesn't matter wat they get, as long as it has the logo.
>>
>>52147960
>poster supposedly in engineering
>can't even into actual data
http://naceweb.org/s11182015/starting-salary-class-2015.aspx

The gap between CS and engineering hasn't been very large since the early 2000's (after the dot-com bust).
>>
>>52147990
Had an s2 until last week, it was an awesome smartphone, worked properly for 5 years.
I have a one plus two now.
>>
>>52148036
>caring that a dumb normie wastes his money
If he's not smart enough to look up specs himself he doesn't deserve a good computer.
>>
File: 1450034899837.jpg (67 KB, 704x368) Image search: [Google]
1450034899837.jpg
67 KB, 704x368
Windows Vista

Windows 8

Windows 10
>>
i have not seen anybody buying a mac
>>
File: readImage.jpg (25 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
25 KB, 575x323
>>52148205
>At $733 billion, Apple is worth more than Switzerland. Apple's market capitalization (share price times number of shares) didn't stop at $700 billion. At Thursday's opening bell, the company was valued by investors at $733 billion.
>>
>>52147971
>>>52147662
>Good to know today's programmers are focusing on OSX's massive long-running software scene.

I don't think he was inferring that specifically.

I write backend services for my company (which end up running on Linux instances in AWS) and we all use Macs at work, because:
- OSX is a closer approximation of an actual unix environment. Bash, gcc, clang etc all just work and I can compile the same projects on my laptop or remotely on our Linux servers. It's just easier for the development workflow. No, I don't use xcode.
-when it comes to corporate apps (Slack for chat, Citrix for conference calls, etc) the support on OSX dwarfs what we'd get on linux.

You'll find the same is true for a lot of other devs. No, we aren't all sucking Apple's cock cuz muh status symbol. Usually it's just a combination of being way less hassle when it comes to the corporate tooling requirements + allowing you an actual dev enviroment on the same laptop.
>>
>>52148271
Your Starbucks order is ready sir. Please stop shitposting on /g/ and pick up your coffee.
>>
>>52148248
yeah, big numbers
>>
>>52148289
Get a job faggot
>>
>>52148119

It's true, but I consider myself a natural customer server. Not something I'd ideally be born to do, but I cant help but caring for what people buy, and if they're getting the best bang for their buck. I want the experience to be great, what they get from the company I work for, should always be the best solution. I am proud to work where I do, and I don't want customers saying they got conned into buying garbage for all their jewgolds.

I think the guy might wake up one day to realise he spent a small fortune on a very shitty laptop, I don't want him to think we didn't warn him or tell him exactly what he's buying. It's our job to know and to advice. Some corporate men wearing suits might decide we should sell X items but they don't know anything about customer service or helping a customer find what they actually want. They just see their numbers. I, at least, am there to point out to the customer what computers are a part of the numbers game, and what aren't.
>>
>>52146622
>productive
>youtube
>>
File: 1451364471777.jpg (799 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1451364471777.jpg
799 KB, 1000x2000
>>52146175
Attempting to not look poor by buying the most useless overpriced shit they can find.
>>
>>52148142
This
>>
File: allthatshityoutyped.gif (3 MB, 460x340) Image search: [Google]
allthatshityoutyped.gif
3 MB, 460x340
>>52146859
>>
File: Shit is TIGHT.png (17 KB, 474x300) Image search: [Google]
Shit is TIGHT.png
17 KB, 474x300
>>52146175
For ClarisWorks, dude. I know it's what I use.
>>
>>52147944
OP here. Someone gets it, love seeing these fags fight
>>
>>52148343
Because rich people use $100 chinkpads they bought on ebay right?
>>
>>52148329
>It's true, but I consider myself a natural customer server.
> if they're getting the best bang for their buck.

Dude, just become a prostitute already. At least it's honest work, unlike what you're doing now.
>>
>>52146175
>>52146193
>other than really good reasons, what are good reasons?
>>
>>52146175
It's a different mind set. Typically they see computers as an appliance, and as such they just go for the popular brand because it's the easy choice.

That, and that they are probably homosexual.
>>
>>52148751
What major programs are made only for Mac? Shitty ones for low life beta fags that can't use windows because it's too complicated for them. Or a program for a company which I can understand
>>
>>52148807
>shitty ones only every major professional studio has together with protools
>what is coreaudio which every fucking musician likes because it's hassle-free and justtwerks
It's like you're screaming that you're ignorant and just consume chinese cartoons on your computer.
>>
>>52148806
Your first pout is very accurate but the 2nd point took the cake
>>
>>52146175
Because a) it doesn't involve giving money to Microsoft, b) it's a commercial-quality Unix. And c) it elicits maximum butthurt from all the poorfag /g/ "post your launch screen" morons.
>>
>>52146175
gome people appreciate the stability of unix and the user-friendliness of windows in the machines they use each day to cruise grindr
>>
>>52148869
>>52146175
this. Also it has very handy features like looking up words in the built in dictionary/translator and spotlight search and the fact that you can reopen all your open windows when you log out/restart.
Also timemachine which comes with the OS cause it just twerks
>>
It's a great work computer. People don't install all the stupid shit on them. They run beautifully and efficiently.

You guys are just circle jerking.

Personally at home.. yeah they're not good for that unless you're not good with computers
>>
It's a really comfy laptop. In the two years since I got mine I haven't paid that much attention to other manufacturers. Are trackpads still absolute shit on Windows?

Also. If you really must you can in fact run DWM in addition to the usual desktop too.
>>
>>52148532
>Jews spending more than the necessary
>>
I had a few thousand to spend on a laptop for college. I could've either spent it on a SUPER 1337 GAMING LAPTOP with a MECHANICAL KEYBOARD and a WINDOZE 10 and look like an autistic fuck with red LEDs all over my laptop, or I could've spent the money on a laptop that works well all the time and also looks nice. Guess which I chose? Also it'll integrate nicely with the iPhone I'm planning on picking up soon.

>>52149102
yes they are
>>
File: clarisworks.png (35 KB, 630x768) Image search: [Google]
clarisworks.png
35 KB, 630x768
>>52148427
kek
>>
>>52149341
could have easily got a non autistic gaming laptop and a cheap android, but thanks for the shekels goyim!
>>
>>52146175
Personally I have one because I don't like Windows. With the way OSX is going, though, I will probably move to Linux full-time
>>
>>52149398
Windows laptops have shit battery life, keyboards, and trackpads. Also I have a Note 4 right now and I've had two other androids in the past and I'm ready for a change of pace.
>>
>>52149341
Should've bought a 400$ crapbook and spend the rest on performance drugs
>>
File: 1408758321324.jpg (145 KB, 641x784) Image search: [Google]
1408758321324.jpg
145 KB, 641x784
>>52149433
>macshit
>battery life

Pick one.
>>
>>52149643
>buying a heavy, ugly, plastic chink laptop with a shit OS
no thank you

Besides, my 2015 Macbook has lasted me 3 days before. Hard to imagine that a windows laptop would last longer.
>>
File: 1450742907111.png (726 KB, 1300x900) Image search: [Google]
1450742907111.png
726 KB, 1300x900
>>52149643
Just let him live in his delusions and spend his $2000 on a shitty $500 build cost macintrash.
>>
>>52146175
because OS X uses the right algorithms for the right job, and the efficiency of the OS on the hardware is optimized.

windows is a generalist OS, made to generally run good on general hardware. but by that definition, it's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none.
>>
ITT: Gelatinous poorfgts.
>>
>Efficiency

Different algorithms devised to solve the same problem often differ dramatically in their efficiency. These differences can be much more significant than differences due to hardware and software.

As an example, in Chapter 2, we will see two algorithms for sorting. The first, known as insertion sort, takes time roughly equal to c1n2 to sort n items, where c1 is a constant that does not depend on n. That is, it takes time roughly proportional to n2. The second, merge sort, takes time roughly equal to c2n lg n, where lg n stands for log2 n and c2 is another constant that also does not depend on n. Insertion sort typically has a smaller constant factor than merge sort, so that c1 < c2. We shall see that the constant factors can have far less of an impact on the running time than the dependence on the input size n.

Let’s write insertion sort’s running time as c1n n and merge sort’s running time as c2n lg n. Then we see that where insertion sort has a factor of n in its running time, merge sort has a factor of lg n, which is much smaller. (For example, when n D 1000, lg n is approximately 10, and when n equals one million, lg n is approximately only 20.) Although insertion sort usually runs faster than merge sort for small input sizes, once the input size n becomes large enough, merge sort’s advantage of lg n vs. n will more than compensate for the difference in constant factors. No matter how much smaller c1 is than c2, there will always be a crossover point beyond which merge sort is faster.
>>
>>52146175
Unix style command prompt with a just werkz desktop environment

Also, apple is the last big tech giant that only sells to its customers. They aren't selling your information to advertisers.
>>
>>52149888
>>52149840

For a concrete example, let us pit a faster computer (computer A) running insertion sort against a slower computer (computer B) running merge sort. They each must sort an array of 10 million numbers. (Although 10 million numbers might seem like a lot, if the numbers are eight-byte integers, then the input occupies about 80 megabytes, which fits in the memory of even an inexpensive laptop computer many times over.)

Suppose that computer A executes 10 billion instructions per second (faster than any single sequential computer at the time of this writing) and computer B executes only 10 million instructions per second, so that computer A is 1000 times faster than computer B in raw computing power.

To make the difference even more dramatic, suppose that the world’s craftiest programmer codes insertion sort in machine language for computer A, and the resulting code requires 2n2 instructions to sort n numbers. Suppose further that just an average programmer implements merge sort, using a high-level language with an inefficient compiler, with the resulting code taking 50n lg n instructions.

To sort 10 million numbers, computer A takes

(2 * (10^7)^2 instructions / ((10^10) instructions/second) = 20,000 seconds more than 5.5 hours

while computer B takes
(50 * 10^7 lg 10^7 instructions ) / (10^7 instructions/second) =1163 seconds (less than 20 minutes)

By using an algorithm whose running time grows more slowly, even with a poor compiler, computer B runs more than 17 times faster than computer A! The advantage of merge sort is even more pronounced when we sort 100 million numbers: where insertion sort takes more than 23 days, merge sort takes under four hours. In general, as the problem size increases, so does the relative advantage of merge sort.
>>
only retards cant customize OSX
>>
File: 1437533659052.png (135 KB, 701x1050) Image search: [Google]
1437533659052.png
135 KB, 701x1050
>>52149840
>>52149840
>and the efficiency of the OS on the hardware is optimized.
ayylmao
>>
File: muh muh privacy.png (83 KB, 614x858) Image search: [Google]
muh muh privacy.png
83 KB, 614x858
>>52149897
>They aren't selling your information to advertisers.

>this is what gullible morons actually believe

topkek
>>
>>52148142
Vista was good after the launch was fixed. Seriously. If you have a copy lying around build a system on it from scratch and use it for a week or two.
>>
>>52149932
>mountain lion was released on July 28, 2012
ayylmao
>>
File: 1442534110644.png (239 KB, 877x919) Image search: [Google]
1442534110644.png
239 KB, 877x919
>>52150081
>osx has been BTFO for 4 years and running
ayylmao
>>
>>52150145
>one faggots subjective opinion, with no facts or measurements whatsoever
ayylmao
>>
>>52150220
>subjective opinion
>mactards unironically deny osx is a bloated laggy slow puke inducing piece of shit
ayylmao
>>
File: el clapistan.webm (994 KB, 576x360) Image search: [Google]
el clapistan.webm
994 KB, 576x360
>>52150220
>opinion
ayylmao
>>
>>52150325
that's a webapp, no telling how shitty the code is

that's a window full of app icons, not a real application, and on my machine there is no lag

furthermore, when doing a screenrecord, the compression rate, and conversion rate to webm reduces the quality, removing frames, and making lag appear to be more apparent than in reality
>>
>>52149114
Underrated. Oh my god, my fucking sides.
>>
>>52148271
You can't argue with the autists on /g/, most people here aren't actual developers and just come here for dumb consumerist shit.
>>
>>52150236
>itt poorfags unironically unashamed for computing on a plastic, led glowing piece of shit
>>
>>52150362
>webapp
>OSX gui

At least you admit it.
>>
>>52147380

Hahahhaah!!! Yeah, all professional studios run windows.
>>
File: 1451363513616.jpg (32 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1451363513616.jpg
32 KB, 720x480
>>52150362
>OS X is a webapp
That explains everthing desu senpai.
>>
>>52150416
Argumentum ad populum et professional

In short, you're an absolute faggot for posting that.
>>
>>52150325
i'm using a 2009 mbp and i have none of those problems. something else is probably wrong with your system
>>
>>52148271

This right here.
>>
File: face.jpg (275 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
275 KB, 1000x1000
>>52150430
that's a good impersonation of a brainlet.
>>
>>52150413
>>52150430
are you fuckwits for real?

you don't even know the difference between chrome, a webapp, and osx?
>>
>>52150444

Oh please point me to the audio professionals running windows. Do they make dubstep?
>>
>>52150145
#REKT
>>
OSX is a very accessible interface for normies.

Other than that it's status bullshit. I work for a small company and of course my boss bought a big iMac for all of his computer needs even though he can do all the shit he's currently doing on a much cheaper computer. I'm from NYC and there are so many elitist small business or galleries run by pretentious assholes that think owning a fancy silver slab makes them look professional, that and they genuinely do not know how to use anything else.

I'm wondering how much potential profit there is in learning the ins and outs of mac repair for all these businesses, as well as general IT advice. Especially if my boss is anything to go by, they don't know the first thing about cyber security. I don't mean anything advanced by that either. Simple shit like using password managers and what have you for important financial information.
>>
>>52150640
see, you think people are pretentious assholes based on the COMPUTER THEY USE

think about that, dickfucker. think about it for a good long minute.
>>
>>52150532
Oh please you are absolutely retarded if you think that's a strong argument or any good reason to use or not use an operating system.

>dubstep
Now you're just being silly.
>>
File: 1451429612735.jpg (145 KB, 501x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451429612735.jpg
145 KB, 501x1200
>i post on a technology board from a mac
>>
>>52150680
>windows enterprise architect
>>
File: otter.png (591 KB, 1008x1395) Image search: [Google]
otter.png
591 KB, 1008x1395
>ignoramuses who actually believe putting a computer together is some noble feat that requires critical thought or skill

>/tinfoil/s who think the nsa is out to get them, and have no concept that it's merely a big governmental organisation

>the entire hardware enthusiast community, dont even get me started on how pointless their existence is

>brand fanboys

>people who got lost trying to find /wg/ (desktop threads)

>people who got lost trying to find their way to /v/

>my preferred software is better than your preferred software for these reasons which are irrelevant and entirely subjective:

>Much like the DJ/Producer of yesteryear, programming, aka "making apps" is the latest must-have personality accessory

>computer scientists: concerned with type systems, side effects, paradigms, etc

>programmers: concerned with available library bindings, performance, and platform support

>bosses of programmers: concerned with the language being object oriented in a way that keeps their hordes of inexperienced employees from stepping on each other's toes too much

>/g/: concerned with aesthetic issues like brackets and indentation styles

Bikeshedding is the proper word for it. /g/ mainly talks about brackets, syntax, and identation styles because it's non complex and everyone can contribute a opinion and be semi valid.

Any real issues will cause too much risk of being pointed out as incorrect or stupid if they're wrong / mistaken.
>>
>>52150655
Except I'm not judging individual people who decide they want a mac. I'm judging a very specific type of business owner who mindlessly buys a status symbol thinking it'll make their company appear hip and cutting edge instead of pursuing a computer that could meet all their needs for much less.
>>
maybe some people just like it.
>>
Because the majority of thr average population of computer users are idiots for a variety of reasons. The main reason is that they're technologically challenged and/or cannot do any research. People these days buy Apple products for conspicuous consumption, and at times to join their Apple club. Do you really think the average person knows the difference between each of the CPUs and GPUs that computers use? Or do you expect them to know how to actually spend time to learn to use their OS to its full extent? Of course not. They only care about the premium services, the looks of the Macs, and the reputation you get with purchasing one. Same thing with Beats headphones. Do you really expect someone to know all these differences, to know which one is better, and which one is better for their budget? Nope, they're going to buy the Beats. Even some people won't be able to tell the difference between a jet plane and a propeller plane. If the people who know about tech don't tell people the differences, help the decide on an appropriate computer for them, and show them the factual pros and cons. Then of course they will jump on the Apple bandwagon. Then of course they want to look wealthy and powerful so they will continue to buy it. The price tag only shows their loyalty, and how far they're willing to go to make their point. That becomes a factor towards limiting them of their skill and knowledge.

Okay to quickly summarize this and make an analogy. Mac/Apple users in an FPS video game would be the guys using the expensive legendary high tiered weapons, but they use the wrong ones for the job or the worst ones overall. And because those are legendaries, they will use all the same bad/wrong equipment. The Apple fanboys would be the guys thinking their crap legendary gear is the best for the job or the best all arounder.
>>
>>52150988
Also there are those who like being stuck with a closed system, just like a game console. Some people like having less options, some people just want to keep one thing and stay with it. It's the price they pay for these premiums.
>>
>>52150944
>maybe some people just like eating shit from their hands
>>
>go into apple false flagging bait thread
>same shitty images posted every single time
>>
but macbooks are the only good thing apple has

most certainly overpriced, but i think they're pretty nice
>>
>>52151175
OP here. Someone else gets it, but other people still go to this thread still thinking I wanted a honest opinion on this topic but skip over the fact they see this.
>>
File: PANICPANICPANICPANIC.jpg (22 KB, 420x279) Image search: [Google]
PANICPANICPANICPANIC.jpg
22 KB, 420x279
>>52146175
>>
File: 1448078970005.jpg (27 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
1448078970005.jpg
27 KB, 205x205
>>52152033
I was just looking on the thread where you got that photo from.
>>
>>52146175
It's nice if you program for a living. My current employer is a node.js shop, and god help you trying to get that shit working on windows.
>>
>>52146175
in my country ppl are falling for the
"Dj needs a mac to play music for better audio"
meme.
it's so sad and funny at the same time.
>>
>>52146175
Mac = just werks
Windows PC = not just werks (because it needs some setting up, needs more 3rd party software etc.)

That's really all it comes down to.
I think that Windows PCs are better for desktops, but only if you're actually good at computers and build your own and know what you're doing. Most people don't, so Mac is better for them.
>>
>>52147338
Billy mays here with another fantastic product.

"It's called over spend your gran"

This products is affordable for your family, explicitly from them to buy you it. It offers nothing like what other computers do and is at an extreme price.

With this product you can use more fancy software. The software we built at apple labs will provide users with programs that use a great looking UI but a pathetic set of functions out of the box.

"User will not know the difference"

Just take a look at our valued customers

>Some cunt
"Yeah I use the mac book to view facebook and porn"

>Some older cunt
"I use the computer to program with C++. You just can't do that on other systems"

>Billy again
See our customers are smart. They buy warrenty with our products which will not cover any damage that the mac books are known for after the warranty ends.

For a limited time
"You pay us to sell you a laptop"

"Don't miss out"
>>
>>52146175
> mfw this autistic bait thread has been bumped for nearly 10 hours
>>
>>52150685
There is literally no excuse for this.
>>
>>52150145
owner of rMBP here, I can confirm that windows 8.1 pro works much smoother than os X.
>>
>>52146175
Let me share my story.
>be me, 24, software engineer
>old laptop is falling apart as it wasn't cared for
>need new one, unlimited budget
>need the best screen I can have (I often code without 2nd screen
>need semi-good CPU, don't care about GPU

Ok. Now I have quite a few options. New thinkpad with shitty TN screen and res 720p, expensive as fuck. New thinkpad with shitty TN screen and res 1080p which weights 35kg, also expensive as fuck not to mention it looks like brick. New dell xps 13" or 15" which has close to no support on linux/*nix OS that, due to nature of my work, I need to use (support of hidpi displays, scaling, HW support overall, battery saving). Ok, all of them are sub 4k$.
And then rMBP
>13"
>2560x1600 glorious screen
>i5
>aluminium highend quality
>*nix by default, all of my tools supported
>great battery life
2x cheaper than previous suggestions that didn't even do what I needed them to.
>>
>>52146175

Everything is brown, what other colours are there? Except for things that aren't brown, of course.
>>
Smart people want them because they provide a Unix-like OS that is far better than Windows, but one that isn't Linux/BSD, and has support more proprietary commercial software.

A lot of other people like them because they're cool, different, stylish, high quality, "it just works", etc.

99% of mac owners fall into one of these two categories.

>>52148298
What you may not have known that wasn't mentioned there, Apple is the most valuable company on Earth, so it isn't just regular "big numbers".
>>
File: 1450507818825.png (273 KB, 620x700) Image search: [Google]
1450507818825.png
273 KB, 620x700
>>52146264

I'm the >>52146193

Maybe not, anon. If it was the way you speak most studios and people wouldn't use OSX for this purpose. It's the same thing in iOS.
>>
My mate says that a macbook is basically required because he studies Product Design

This is bullshit right?
>>
>>52154203
>aluminium highend quality
do ho ho ho
>>
>>52150445
i have the 2015 rmbp and resizing windrows in diagonal lags a lot desu
>>
because I am a faggot and I love good looking design
>>
>>52154975
Let me rephrase
>not plastic
Here :)
>>
File: better_even_inside.jpg (288 KB, 800x1360) Image search: [Google]
better_even_inside.jpg
288 KB, 800x1360
>>52146175
>Other than cretin applications. Is there any other reason?
iOS development, great warranty services, great display, OS X optimized for it's hardware with no touch screen bullshit and free updates for life, iWork is free unlike macroshaft office. Build quality is legendary, the trackpad is still years ahead of anything, keyboard shortcuts are easy because it's the same on every Mac, you can easily install any OS and if you're not retarded it can last really long.
>>
>>52155290
and it looks gorgeous.
>>
>>52146175
I don't like viruses.
>>
File: 1451138584936.jpg (66 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1451138584936.jpg
66 KB, 399x382
>>52156340
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35070853
>>
>>52156361
Everyone knows Windows gets viruses like crazy if you're not careful. You had to post two links to try and convince someone.
>>
>>52156436
but I am careful, it's also very easy to get rid of them even if you aren't. Keep deluding yourself that crapple is immune though senpai.
>>
>>52155100
>not using spectacle to resize Windows.
>>
>>52156436
I haven't had an infected Windows computer in over a decade. Neither has my father and he's really not very computer literate at all.

I have no fucking clue how people manage to get infected.
>>
>>52156533
No adblock.
>>
>>52156551

Yes, no adblockers plus javascript and one click to a bad porn site.

...you get shit in zero minutes
>>
>>52154936
>studies product design
Nah hes just retarded
>>
>>52146193
latency issues is why some people buy a mac since they have drivers made for their specific hardware. ASIO4ALL is shit compared to macs'.
>>
I got a MacBook Pro in 2011 and haven't updated the OS yet. Is the newest OS better than Lion? Is it fine to not do a clean install on a Mac?
>>
The one thing that bothers me about OSX is having to add "Mac" to the end of every search engine search for third party software. That, and I haven't found a good convert-to-webm program for OSX yet.
>>
>>52154936
yes
>>
>>52156889
>Is the newest OS better than Lion?
El Capitan is the best OS X ever, it's really fast and runs greatly on old hardware.

> Is it fine to not do a clean install on a Mac
I would say no, it's always good to do a clean install every 2 or 3 years.
>>
>>52156956
not sure if b8 but...

> OSX is having to add "Mac" to the end of every search engine search
you should add "OS X", not "Mac"

> I haven't found a good convert-to-webm
if you can't into ffmpeg, sell your mac, buy a windows laptop and use some freeware/adware bullshit software like freeMp4ToWebm2000.exe, you will be happy at least.
>>
>>52156889
I had exaclty the same, and I've been stuck on Lion for years. Recently I got an ssd and more ram so decided to go for EL Capitan and works like a charm
>>
>>52156956
Don't be a pleb and just use ffmpeg
>>
>>52157357
>>52157492
Am I a pleb for preferring a good GUI?
>>
>>52157989
yes because it's much faster using the terminal when it comes to converting videos.
>>
>>52154650
thanks mr shark
>>
>know a bunch of graphic designers who exclusively use MacBook
>they use TouchPad for everything and can't even operate a mouse

Fucking MacKeks.
>>
>>52158542
Trackpad gesturing is God-tier though.
>>
People think Mac has better programs for some reason. Which is really interesting considering the same software most of them use is also available on Windows or Linux.
>>
>>52149433
nobody would use trackpads anymore if they had touch screen to use. I have been wondering for a long time why Apple doesn't add touch screen to their laptops...
>>
>>52149341
>iPhone
>not autistic
choose one
>>
>>52150081
Windows 8 was released in 2012 and RTM was before that soo...
>>
>>52157989
Well, I'll give you that, it's harder to use, but it's superflexible
>>
>>52146175
because they're better than PCs in every way that matters. also Windows is garbage
>>
>>52150362
How stupid can human be XDDDD
>>
>>52154203
>all of them are sub 4k$
of course they are, they are windows you faggot
>>
>>52154650
thanks mr shark
>>
>>52154936
he's just stupid, windows run those things better with better gpus and shit.
>>
>>52155290
>iWork is free
Apple says that their products are priced higher due to software. So you basically pay for it even if you don't use it.
>>
>>52156436
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52146175
To use OS X
>>
>>52146175

So stoked for MBP 2016 with SKylake
>>
>>52159022
because touch screens on a laptop are fucking retarded. they're ergonomically stupid (who the fuck wants to lift their hands constantly when they can keep it typing height and simply move the cursor at via trackpad or use keyboard shortcuts). also nobody fucking tolerates fingerprints on their laptop screens. only fucking wintards who don't do any actual work on their laptop use touchscreen. that shit is for fucking casuals
>>
>>52154650
thanks mr shark
>>
>>52156889
>Is it fine to not do a clean install on a Mac?

sure but totally unnecessary. if you mindlessly install crap from outside the app store that doesn't clean up after itself, then sure do a clean install but upgrades year to year are perfectly fine
>>
>>52159467
>also nobody fucking tolerates fingerprints on their laptop screens
matte touchscreen masterrace
>>
>>52151033
>thinks a fully unix compliant system is closed
>too dumb to google basic things that even a monkey can do

why are wintards so fucking stupid? also good luck changing kernels on your proprietary garbage windows operating system.
>>
>>52159498
matte screens don't inhibit fingerprints at all. the screen would need to be coated in oleophobic coating and even then fingerprints isn't 100% avoided (i.e. look at your own fucking smartphone)
>>
>>52159533
They're a hell of a lot better than glossy
>>
>>52156956

On the other hand, for installing programming-related things

>Linux users:
Run "sudo apt-get install meme-app", or build from source

>OSX users:
Run "sudo brew install meme-app" or build from source

>WIndows users:
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>52159548
touchscreens are for idiots in either event
>>
>>52159467
because it's fast and precise
>>
>>52159652
lifting a hand and pressing your finger on the screen is NOT anywhere near as fast OR as precise as moving a cursor with your finger on a trackpad
>>
>>52159651
Nah they're fine. It's nice to be able to throw my laptop in tablet mode for reading. Sure I have a rocker switch for scrolling and turning pages, but what if I want to change books or sites or something? I just use the touchsreen compared to converting back to a laptop and back again
>>
>>52159778
enjoy your terrible half ass tablet/half ass laptop experience
>>
>>52159868
It's full laptop half ass tablet, which is perfectly fine for me as I also have a regular tablet
>>
File: M3BezEw.gif (2 MB, 988x516) Image search: [Google]
M3BezEw.gif
2 MB, 988x516
>>52147380
I'm the >>52146193

Maybe not, anon. If it was the way you speak most studios and people wouldn't use OSX for this purpose. It's the same thing in iOS.

>>
>>52159899
it's not a full laptop unless it's a macbook. enjoy your half-assed everything wintard
>>
I'm looking to buy a macbook (non pro) just to carry around when I travel.

I'll never use this shit as a main machine though.
>>
>>52146175
back in the days Apple had the only devices displaying fonts correctly.
Even years later the only proper software available were things related to art and design which gave it the whole "Product for Artists" look.
Another thing probably was that there were only like 3 games which gave it a "Professional" look.
And, since the marketshare was so low, there was almost no malware.

Nowadays the image is still stuck from back then, even though nothing holds up in an argument.
The only cool thing is that, if you have the money, you get an overlapping userland for home out of the box.
Yes, the hardware is shit and the software lacks things especially you look for, but 95% of Apple customers don't care about custome solutions or compatibility with weird devices (since they only own Apple devices anyway)

You can get everything Apple products can do for free or at least much cheaper, but as we already know: A gratis setup is only cost-free if your time is worthless
>>
>>52159980
get an air 13". the 2015 macbooks are underpowered as all fuck and the 11" airs are cramped as fuck and have shit battery life compared to the 13"
>>
>>52160034
>1366x768
>mactards unironically pay $1000+ for utter shit

How brain dead do you have to be to be an Apple customer?
>>
>>52148036
Or he's gonna upgrade it to 16GB at a later time. Because the 2012 model can do that.
>>
>>52146175
Because software trumps hardware.
>>
>>52159975
I used to want a MacBook, then I got a laptop with a dock. Unless Apple ever does that I'm probably not going to get a MacBook
>>
>>52159975
>>52160393
Also
>wintard
kek sure bud, I use OS X and OpenBSD
>>
>>52160222
So there's no reason to use anything by Apple.
>>
>>52160653
Except OS X
>>
>>52160706
>>
File: 1342515825240b.jpg (1 MB, 2785x3018) Image search: [Google]
1342515825240b.jpg
1 MB, 2785x3018
Too stupid for Linux but smart enough to not use Windows => Mac
>>
>>52160721
Except OS X
>>
>>52160820
>>
>>52160796
I dont get your post, you are bashing on Windows yet you say its superior to Mac.
>>
>>52160848
Except OS X
>>
>>52160653
Nigger, the only reason why i got a mac is, literally, for its font rendering.
>>
>>52155290
I repair computers for a living. I don't personally like macs cause I think they're overpriced.

BUT their laptops are a god damn marvel of engineering. Only need 10 screws to take off the back. Compare that to some lenovos that take me 30 minutes to take it apart.

Not only that but a lot of the parts are modular and easy to replace. Like the charging port is a tiny piece that attaches to the motherboard on macs, but on a lot of other laptops its soldered on so if it break you need a whole new mobo but with a mac you just have to buy the $13 part.
>>
File: welcome to 2006.jpg (135 KB, 975x905) Image search: [Google]
welcome to 2006.jpg
135 KB, 975x905
>>52160796
>Too stupid for Linux but smart enough to not use Mac => Windoze

Fixed
>>
File: 1360582923804.png (1 MB, 1178x1078) Image search: [Google]
1360582923804.png
1 MB, 1178x1078
>>52160867
>>
>>52160393
your dock doesn't even use the PCIe express bus. you can connect external video cards, full speed SSDs etc through thunderbolt
>>
>>52160138
the 13" air is 1440x900 and the best quality TN panel on the market. OSX workflow centers on spaces so it's the perfect size for the display anyways. also OSX has proper font rendering and all UI elements are vector based so shit that is scaled doesn't look like crap, unlike windows
>>
File: 1451361946673.jpg (30 KB, 533x388) Image search: [Google]
1451361946673.jpg
30 KB, 533x388
>>52161065
>and the best quality TN
>>
You're all acting as if $1000 was actual money.
Unemployed / school children?
>>
File: 629.gif (3 MB, 355x201) Image search: [Google]
629.gif
3 MB, 355x201
>>52161065

>literally 80 pixels better than 1366
>bragging about TN
>$1000

>mactards
>>
>>52161034
It's not the type of bus that the dock uses, but how the dock connects. It's nice to just come home and plop the laptop on the dock, then it's plugged into my monitor, the charger, ethernet, and a DVD burner.

Also as far as PCIe goes, I can use my free mPCIe slot for PCIe with a $20 adapter I've actually got in the mail, and also have an ExpressCard slot I can also use to connect PCIe devices.
>>
>>52161065
jesus christ, save yourself some money and just get a QHD zenbook.

Also people buy Apple because they want to be part of the club.
It doesn't matter if that Vaio/zenbook/elitebook/whatever is thinner, lighter, more powerful, cheaper, whatever.
its not an apple product.

The reasons like 'retina display' and 'it just works' is just a thinnly veiled attempt at hiding their real reasons for wanting that product.
it all boils down to the brand and nothing else for a lot of people.

>And let people get what they want, you might not agree with their purchase but its their money and they will be happier to overspend it on something they want.
>>
>>52150444
>Argumentum ad populum et professional
Pseudo intellectual.
"Professional" is not even Latin.
>>
If Windows is so great then why are 500 of the 500 fastest super computers not running it?
>>
>>52161172
If OSX is so great why are no supercomputers or servers or anything of importance running it?
>>
>>52161172
>>52161193
Pro tip: They're both shit.
>>
>>52161193
Because it's a desktop operating system
>>
>>52161228
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_HPC_Server_2008
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc514029.aspx

"High Performance Computing"
>>
>>52161228
You misspelled toy.
>>
>>52161247
What the fuck does that have to do with my post?
>>
>>52161271
Well maybe you should think about that.
>>
>>52161250
You misspelled tool.
>>
>>52160864
I run a pc repair shop and while what you say about the mac is true, you're still a moron.
I've soldered and replaced a few laptop charger ports. all you need is a soldering iron.
>>
>>52161282
>why arn't there a bunch of supercomputers and servers running OS X
>because it's a desktop OS
>here have a few unrelated links and text
yeah, made a lot of sense.
>>
File: 1451432081553.jpg (30 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1451432081553.jpg
30 KB, 292x257
>>52161228
>b-b-but osx is unix
>our marketing dept sez so!
>>
>>52161367
I don't see what that has to do with the post but every version since 10.5 on Intel CPUs is UNIX 03 compliant.
>>
File: avg.png (58 KB, 601x245) Image search: [Google]
avg.png
58 KB, 601x245
>>52156436
In all seriousness I've never gotten a virus.
I just use AVG which is free. I know it's not the best, but whatever. It's worked great so far.
>>
File: 1448506231795.jpg (48 KB, 615x247) Image search: [Google]
1448506231795.jpg
48 KB, 615x247
>>52161404
>compliant

That's all that needs to be said about this joke of an OS that actually emulates system level functionality that should be native as a marketing tactic.
>>
>>52161153
zenbook is fucking garbage. 100% macbook envy + buyers remorse plus 0% resale value. complete utter garbage
>>
Apple does designer electronics
once you go Apple, everything else seems like poo in loo tier design
>>
>>52161109
hello? 1995 wants their computer back. normal people use a fucking laptop, like a fucking laptop when they're at home. if you need a high performance computer, that's what a home server/gaming machine is for. and every resource you could think to use off the high performance computer is accessible via network on your lesser power portable computers/laptops (including steam games via home streaming)
>>
>>52162287
at least it throttles slightly less
>>
File: [email protected] (128 KB, 1280x402) Image search: [Google]
battery-life-mba62@2x.png
128 KB, 1280x402
>>52162309
and gets SIGNIFICANTLY LESS battery life
>>
>>52162324
>battery life 2013 macbook air
that's not even comparing 2 computers.
how retarded are you?
>>
>>52162353
how hard is it to fucking google the battery life of a laptop. the point is a MBA gets 16 fucking hours of battery life. 2015 zenbook gets 9.6. LOL
>>
File: 1451531123813.png (726 KB, 1300x900) Image search: [Google]
1451531123813.png
726 KB, 1300x900
>>52162324
>>52162367
>mac
>battery life idling with nothing running in memory
ayylmao
>>
File: 1451439037195.jpg (178 KB, 798x770) Image search: [Google]
1451439037195.jpg
178 KB, 798x770
>>52162367
>bragging about 1366x768
Yeah, and dumbphones get 200 hours on their 2" 240x180 screens.
>>
there is no reason in the year 2004+12 that anyone would need anything besides a pentium4
>>
>>52159950
Fuck you
>>
>>52146175
Because windows is garbage and linux rapes the battery on laptops
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.