[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit, /g/. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7 V3GLWF6U
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Linux on PS4.png (271 KB, 1054x580) Image search: [Google]
Linux on PS4.png
271 KB, 1054x580
Holy shit, /g/.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7V3GLWF6U
>>
>>52145700
sony had linux on the PS3 and then they removed the functionality for no reason. fuck therm. hackers shouldn't have to do their fucking work for them.
>>
>>52145733
jej, i remember following a tutorial on how to install linux on the ps3 when i was younger, and i formatted the drive without knowing what formatting meant. good times.
>>
>>52145749

>buy a ps3 in store
>it literally says on the box it supports seconds OS (linux)
>people get linux working nicely on it
>for no apparent reason Sony decides to remove said functionality
>you can actually brick your PS3 rendering it useless by trying to flash linux on it now

Yep, sure is fun to have your perfectly fine linux box being turned into a brick overnight
>>
>>52145794

Sony gets absolutely triggered if you use their products for anything other than buying games and movies. They have no qualms in removing features that they deem distractions.
>>
>>52145840
Somehow I get the idea they just use all the money from the Playstation division to keep other divisions alive (consumer electronics is doing really terrible).

90% of all gamers are retarded anyway and gladly shell out hundreds of dollars for dlc and microtransactions each month.
>>
awesome, the early fat ps3s were linux and backward compatible, people used to install yellow dog linux iirc and it was able to play ps1 and ps2 games, but fuck sony.
Does this mean that the ps4 will be jailbreaked any time soon or no one has the balls/funds to fuck with sony
>>
>>52145733
>>52145794
>>52145840
Didnt they remove linux support after the key leak fiasco?
>>
>>52145700
Don't the PS3/PS4 run FreeBSD?
>>
Now they just need to find a way to get windows on it.
>>
OtherOS was removed from the PS3 for a couple of reasons. Firstly because people figured out a way to get out of the supervisory environment and thus do whatever they wanted with the console, including playing backup ps3 games.
The other important factor was that the ps3 was very expensive to manufacture and was being sold by Sony at a loss with the assumption that profit would be made back through people buying games. There was a period of time where the ps3 was one of the cheapest options for building a distributed network or server, so people were buying two dozen Playstations but no games.
>>
I remember the some of the CS doctorate guys down the corridor from me in university ordering like 18 of these on their grants back in the day. Created a monstrous Beowulf cluster that spent most of its free time folding@home.
>>
>exploiting devices through their webbrowser
Why is this allowed to be a fucking thing?
God damn it.
>>
>>52145733
didn't they fuck over the USN who used a farm of them for an Ad-hoc supercomputer?
>>
>>52149566
http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php
>>
>>52145700
>OpenRC
Holy shit.. they installed Gentoo on it.
>>
File: you're an idiot.jpg (43 KB, 460x315) Image search: [Google]
you're an idiot.jpg
43 KB, 460x315
>>52147959
>>
File: OpoQQ.jpg (20 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
OpoQQ.jpg
20 KB, 600x575
>>52147959
Did your mom hit you on the head as a child ?
>>
>>52150832
PS4 runs on x86, what's the fucking problem?
>>
>>52145700
So I can get a PC with an 6 core processor and a 7870 for 250 bucks.

The ps4 is starting to look like a really nice steambox.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.