[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, can you advise me? I'm an animator but a week ago I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled-1.jpg (816 KB, 2560x1392) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
816 KB, 2560x1392
/g/, can you advise me?
I'm an animator but a week ago I broke my left hand and wrist. I'm right handed so I can draw still, but I can't do anything keyboard related.
I'm going stir crazy here. I need to animate and I have a deadline on a new thing.

Has anyone ever heard of voice recognition software or something that will simply let me scroll back and forwards along my timeline? Pic related: I have 26 frames on this bit alone and need to constantly hit the left and right arrow keys, but the bones are grinding together every time I try it.

TL:DR - is there any voice recognition software that I can map my arrow keys to with simple spoken "left" and "right" commands?

I thing /g/ is about the only board that hasn't been thanked in the end credits of something I've done, so now could be the time. Can you imagine the excitement?
>>
Bump, my friend.
>>
Get a logitech gaming mouse or any 5 button mouse that allows you to assign keystrokes to the 4th and 5th buttons of your mouse. Assign the two arrow keys. Profit.
>>
The post above might be your best bet, as for voice recognition, maybe Dragon?
>>
Put keyboard on the floor and use your toe
>>
>>52136659
>voice recognition

This is not the way to go. If you have one hand, a 4-5 button mouse with thumb buttons can be programmed to do custom commands like scroll or type something.

That or use those goofy Logitech footpedals
>>
>>52136659
Totally unhelpful question here:
Why can't you take a sick leave with a broken hand? Where I'm from that'd get you at least 6 weeks off and rehab.
>>
>>52137121
I'm freelance so I live from job to job with no medical coverage or whatnot. The folks I'm working for on the current thing (an animation based on the old arcade game R-Type
>>>/m/13670140
have been very kind and said to take it easy for a month or two. The job was supposed to start in Jan, but looks like it'll be pushed back a bit.

>>52137107
>a 4-5 button mouse with thumb buttons can be programmed to do custom commands like scroll or type something.
Hmmm, trouble is the hand is pretty immobile and I have almost no grip. The fingers are taped together to stop the bones going out of place again, so I don't think I could even hold a mouse with the left hand...

>>52137049
>The post above might be your best bet, as for voice recognition, maybe Dragon?

Just investigating this now, thanks!
>>
>>52137314
You're right handed and your right hand is fine. Don't you use the mouse to draw?
>>
>>52137332
OP probably draw with a pen
>>
Even the built-in speech recognition in windows allows you to press buttons:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/common-speech-recognition-commands#1TC=windows-7
>>
>>52137332
No, it's a wacom graphics tablet.
Let me try and get a pic of the setup via my phone...
>>
File: 20151230_140255.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151230_140255.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>
>>52137464
Wow, that's awful. Sorry about my awkward photo skills.

>>52137429
>Even the built-in speech recognition in windows allows you to press buttons:
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/common-speech-recognition-commands#1TC=windows-7

Hold on, this could solve all my problems! Let me just check this out...
Cheers, anon!
>>
>>52137464
wtf happened?
>>
>>52136659
is this the program the japs use to make shit like Jin Roh or escaflowne???
>>
>>52137456
Dude you have a wacom. Just change the buttona to left and right keys. I used to do that on mine at work.
>>
Elbow or Toes. Gl.
>>
>>52137506
Nah, they use something called RETAS pro, I believe.
The people at my (just finished) job in Australia use Toon Boom Harmony, which is a (for me) complicated vector based thing that's ideal for future proofing. When something x4 the size of bluray eventually comes out, they can simply re-export the project footage at 4 times the size and it'll look crisp because it's vectors.

I kind of hate vectors so I use TVPaint, which is a traditional 2D bitmap program that's nice and simple. Of course, my lines look really pixelly at times...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU&lc=z12uxn4ofsy4fbwkr22rjhdolt3qzzoep

But I'm trying to get around that by drawing at double the resolution.
>>
>>52137585
thanks!

why are the japs so good at physical animation and perspective in 2d cartoons? the americans look like amateur babies compared to the japs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czZ3Jv0LInE
>>
>>52137585
Did you make that video?
>>
can you plug in a mouse and remap left/right mouse buttons with X-Mouse or something, or are those clicks used by your pen?
>>
>>52137669
*thinking of you using the mouse left-handed, since a mere click shouldn't involve your wrist.
>>
>>52137618
not op but I think it is because japan adopted a very stable style professionally, but in america we have so many different styles (comic books look different from animations) also disney
>>
>>52137680
many animes look different from each other, look at Kaiji and the moeshit stuff

it could be that there's more market and people get paid better.
>>
>>52137704
they were making stuff like this in the 80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUe5Ugg6Iks
>>
someone help this man, he is legend

keep up that 80s shading m80
>>
>>52136659
https://github.com/baykovr/AVPI

foss keybind to voice tool
>>
Do people really have no idea who Otaking is anymore? Fucking hell.

Fuck off Otaking that Doctor Who anime you made was one of the worst pieces of shit I ever watched go break your other hand.
>>
>>52137639
>Did you make that video?

Yup, that was me.
We had a fabled sticky on /m/ and everything!

>>52137669
>>52137529
Yeah, unfortunately I already have custom things mapped to the wacom pen. Namely undo.
This windows 7 speech recognition is looking pretty good though! Gonna test it out now.

>>52137752
>Fuck off Otaking that Doctor Who anime you made was one of the worst pieces of shit I ever watched go break your other hand.
[spoiler]It was pretty shit, wasn't it? That was almost a decade ago though. I'm getting better, honest..![/spoiler]
>>
>>52136659

> I broke my left hand and wrist.

how the fuck did you manage that? are you some parkour sk8r manchild?
>>
>>52137680
>also disney

indeed, they've shutdown everything 2D and 2D related right?
>>
>>52137790

I was running to hand a phone charger to my housemate (she was getting on a bus outside the house to go home for Christmas) and my left knee just gave out.Next thing I knew my face was skidding along the pavement, I'd knocked out a tooth and scraped two more up pretty badly, and my hand hurt like hell. It could have been way worse though, because no fingers snapped, the tooth didn't hurt at all and I didn't re-break my jaw. No surgery or pins/metal plates needed either; just a plaster cast. I got off really lightly,I think.

Anyway, just gonna get some food. Back in a bit. Thanks for all the help!
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.