[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10
File: Firefox-logo.svg.png (348 KB, 1072x1024) Image search: [Google]
Firefox-logo.svg.png
348 KB, 1072x1024
What went wrong?
>>
>>52136597
they started worrying about market share because of chrome
which led to decisions that make firefox more like chrome
>>
>>52136597
they betrayed their core users with:
* spyware (Telemetry / Health Report / Crash Reporter)
* adware ("Enhanced" newtab)
removing customization (Australis, dropping custom newtab, soon they will drop themes)
* breaking private Sync servers
* bloatware (Pocket, Hello)
* DRM
* forced extension signing
* (soon) breaking every extension by dropping XUL

not (directly) part of the problem:
* SJWs
* Brendan Eich's resignation
>>
>>52136741
That's what happens when you hire node.js "devs".
>>
What is the best browser to use?
>>
>>52136834
Pale Moon
>>
>>52136834
Seconded, I mainly use Firefox atm because there don't seem to be many good alternatives. What else is out there?
>>
>>52136834

Firefox, still.
>>
>>52136741
Most of these can be disabled or uninstalled though, like the spyware, the adware, and the bloatware. Also it's very unlikely they'll drop themes, it wouldn't make any business sense as it's not something Mozilla has to contribute towards and it doesn't impact browser functionality at all.
>>
Winners focus on winning
Losers focus on winners

Firefox lost when they started spending most of their time trying to match Chrome
>>
>>52136597
Why don't super smart /g/ guys program their own browser and be done?
>>
>>52136834
>>52136856
there are no (better) alternatives. use firefox, customize it.
>>
>>52136894
We did, but it was too powerful and kept overheating consumer systems
>>
>>52136597
SJW
>>
>>52136894
>inb4 logo
>>
still the best we've got
>>
>>52136894
>implying I don't load webpages directly into notepad via custom script
>>
>>52136741
>>52136879
Isn't Firefox made by like a non profit foundation or something?
Why do they even worry about market share to begin with.
>>
>>52136961
they're non-profit, but they still have to pay their devs.
>>
>>52136961
Don't think they're non-profit, more just they're all for open source and promoting online privacy etc as well
>>
>>52136741
I am in no way defending Mozilla or anything, but I am going to try and help users who wish to continue using Firefox without all the bullshit.

>spyware (Telemetry / Health Report / Crash Reporter)
These can all be disabled relatively easily. [1]

>adware ("Enhanced" newtab)
This is actually getting removed [2] and can currently easily be disabled, and won't even be enabled in the first place unless you clean install.

>removing customization (Australis, dropping custom newtab, soon they will drop themes)
You can still change the New Tab page [3] and you can still customize Firefox as much as you want with extensions. Themes will not be "dropped" but re-imagined. [4] You may have noticed that most Complete Themes are abandoned and incompatible with recent versions of Firefox anyway. This is what Mozilla hopes to fix with a new theming solution.

>breaking private Sync servers
You can use extensions to sync stuff with your own server.

>bloatware (Pocket, Hello)
Can easily be disabled, and they are even looking into moving them to bundled extensions [5] so it's easier for plebs to just toggle them on/off.

>DRM
There are DRM-free builds and you can remove it after the fact if you are on the regular build.

>forced extension signing
There will be unbranded versions of Stable and Beta, and Developer Edition and Nightly will keep the option to install unsigned extensions. They are even looking into options to (temporarily) load unsigned extensions in the regular channels. [6]

>(soon) breaking every extension by dropping XUL
Many modern extensions will require little to no rewriting to work with the new system, but it remains to be seen how many old/powerful extensions will be left in the dust. It all depends on what APIs Mozilla chooses to include. But there is no reason to panic over this just yet.

[links in next post because this one is too long]
>>
>>52137066
Here are the links.

[1] http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/09/how-to-disable-the-firefox-saved-telemetry-pings-and-archive-folder/
[2] http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/05/mozilla-discontinues-tile-advertising-in-firefox/
[3] https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/new-tab-override/
[4] http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/10/mozilla-clarifies-what-the-removal-of-full-themes-actually-means/
[5] http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/08/firefox-hello-is-the-first-system-add-on-for-the-browser/
[6] http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/24/temporary-add-on-loading-coming-to-firefox/
>>
>>52137066
I'm the person you replied to. I knew these things already, which is why I still use Firefox
>>
>>52137215
It was not aimed at you.
>>
>>52136597
Chrome got more popular that's all.
the constant google advertising and that it can run better on old PCs than Firefox and all.
Not to mention there is that chrome bundled android shill.
>>
>>52136597

This happened. They begging for money in order to get these fancy hipster offices running.

Another pic following.
>>
File: London_Mozilla_Workspace.jpg (3 MB, 2500x1656) Image search: [Google]
London_Mozilla_Workspace.jpg
3 MB, 2500x1656
>>52137340

>International offices network
>Designer furniture
>Free food and drinks
>$300 chairs

All this crap for a fucking browser.

B-b-b-ut please sir gib only 3 dolar. We poor volunteers.
>>
>>52137434
>$300 chairs
Is this real?
>>
>>52136597
everything
>>
>market share goes down because dumb normies switch to Chrome
>starts becoming more Chrome-like
>market share continues to go down because people figure they might as well just use Chrome instead of a more bloated Chrome

>making power users jump through hoops to take control of their browsing experience; have to do countless entries in about:config, userChrome, and userContent, or using add-ons to accomplish what you used to be able to with the built-in UI; have to use Developer Edition or Nightly to use unsigned extensions, xpinstall.signatures.required isn't even an option on the live channel

>about:newtab forced with ads and prefetching; only way to stop it is add-ons, or blanking about:newtab's CSS in userChrome along with disabling about a dozen about:config entries (search newtab and be appalled)

>force CEO to resign for being problematic and let company get taken over by nu-males and rainbow-haired dykes
I'm currently still a Firefox (Nightly) user but fuck Mozilla.
>>
>>52137486

It's pretty rough estimate, but according to pic related. It does not look like cheap tier IKEA or something. The shit is expensive for sure.
>>
>>52137078
whats the addon for private server sync?
>>
>>52137340
>This happened
Mozilla have asked for donations for as long as I can remember.
This is certainly not one of the many reasons Mozilla/Firefox has gone to shit.

I don't think most people actually have a problem with a free, open source project asking for donations.
Hell, I would personally donate if they just re-introduced a way to move tabs back down without an extension.
>>
>>52136953
> not reading packets directly
>>
>>52137558
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?q=sync
>>
File: 37405920_big_p0.jpg (76 KB, 800x510) Image search: [Google]
37405920_big_p0.jpg
76 KB, 800x510
>>52137522
mfw the same thing happened to Opera except it had no market share to begin with

Thank goodness for Vivaldi, I'd still be using Opera 12 if not for it.
>>
>>52137522
>problematic
What?
>>
>>52137595
>using closed source botnets
>>
>>52137615
>not trusting the former CEO and co-founder of opera with your life

Come on, bud
>>
>>52136991
Mozilla.org is non-profit. Mozilla.com isn't. Yes it is fucking confusing.
>>
I also got a similar beg in the form of email for $3 from khan academy, a website I don't even use.

Seems like Mozilla have started a craze here.

GIB US MONEY FOR FREE REVENUE THAT WE DON'T EVEN NEED AND WE'LL PRETEND LIKE YOU MATTER
>>
>>52137434
>>52137486
$300 for a chair is pretty cheep to be honest. My office chair is ÂŁ1300. Chairs are fucking important when you sit in them all day.
>>
File: 1451484904003.png (98 KB, 879x1045) Image search: [Google]
1451484904003.png
98 KB, 879x1045
>>52136597

SJWs.
>>
>>52137563

My point was that they started spending the money on their fancy new offices and everything else but fixing the stupid browser. That's all.
>>
>>52137622
Why would I? Original opera was closed source as well and I didn't trust it then either.
Hell, remember when Opera COST MONEY? If anything, the Opera guy is the ultimate Jew.
>>
>>52137642
>Going on reddit
Why don't you just stay there?
>>
>>52137642
:D
>>
>>52137642
Ah, reminds me of the good old days of forum moderators.
>>
No body here is taking about chromium?
>>
>>52137633
>Seems like Mozilla have started a craze here.
Try Wikipedia.
>>
>>52136597
They forgot why people use Firefox
>>
>>52137640

>My office chair is ÂŁ1300.

1. No one cares.
2. You will be better to not begging the people for money then.
3. If you are making the above, you're a faggot and retard.
>>
>>52137693
no botnet please
>>
>>52136741
>* spyware (Telemetry / Health Report / Crash Reporter)
i dont mind telemetry and the crash reporter. also they prompt you when you first run firefox on if those settings are ok and if not you can totally disable them. not a big deal.

>* adware ("Enhanced" newtab)
well you can easily totally disable it

>removing customization (Australis, dropping custom newtab, soon they will drop themes)
yeah i miss being able to fully customise it. realy shame.

>* breaking private Sync servers
do you mean setting up and running your own firefox sync server? works fine for me.

>* bloatware (Pocket, Hello)
ugh why the fuck were they delivered as part of the core browser and not addons. sigh.

>* DRM
personally i like i use now use firefox for netflix but i see your point. you can still get the EME builds which dont have the DRM though.

>* forced extension signing
it is needed imho however removing ways to disble it is shit. should have kept an option in aboutconfig
>* (soon) breaking every extension by dropping XUL

yeah killing off XUL is indeed shit.
>>
>>52137671
>>
>>52137714
>it is needed imho however removing ways to disble it is shit. should have kept an option in aboutconfig
defeats the purpose. just like browser.newtab.url, this could easily be abused by malware. just change the config value, set a new URL for new tabs or install some shitty unsigned search bar add-on.
that's the main reason those options are being removed.
>>
>>52137711
Even chromium? I thought that was an open source project.
>>
>>52137693
>claims to be non-botnet and open source
>downloads closed-source blobs

Top fucking kek. Chromium is just a tool by Google to trick privacy-minded, yet naive, people to still give them their data even if they don't want to use Chrome.
>>
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21060690/weird-table-rendering-in-firefox

Years old bugs. That's what pisses me off. I always run into rendering issues when webdeving and chromium (not always) renders faithfully over FF.
>>
>>52138008
>chromium (not always) renders faithfully over FF.
More often than not, this is due to Chrome accepting more sloppily coded shit.
It's like IE6 all over again. Shit would look fine in IE but not in other browsers but that didn't mean IE was better – quite the opposite.
>>
>>52137066

Firefox still should be customizable without being forced to install an add-on for this.
>>
>>52137615
At least Vivaldi is customizable without you being forced to install an add-on for it. This is more than Cuckfox is today after Chrome-clone-UI-Australis
>>
File: 500px-Iceweasel_icon.svg.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500px-Iceweasel_icon.svg.png
155 KB, 500x500
Master race.
>>
>>52136741
>crash reporter equals spyware
god, this board is retarded
>>
>>52139482
>Vivaldi
Tell me more about how I move the tab born down below the URL bar in Vivaldi.
I swear I'll ditch Firefox for Vivaldi directly.
>>
>>52137595
>my chrome mutant is better than yours!
>>
How do I sort chrome bookmarks by URL? I can only find by title.
>>
>>52136855
Using it right now. Seems kinda slow compared to Firefox or is it just me?
>>
>>52139482
but I like addons, does vivaldi have an addon ecosystem?
>>
>>52136597
SJWs and the need to pander to them

Doesn't even have decent performance with extensions now, switched to chromium
>>
>>52140671
>using Chrome botnet
>>
>>52140690
>Seems kinda slow compared to Firefox or is it just me?
It's not you. Pale Meme is a hobbyist fork based on an ancient version of Firefox and it's really starting to show.
>>
>>52139505
slow as hell
>>
>>52141008
FUD. It's leaner than Firefox, without all the bloat and spyware.
>>
>>52137598

The CEO he's talking about (Eich) used his own money to fund a group that was against Prop 8, giving gay people in California the right to marry or some shit. What makes this ironic is that it's now legal in the whole US, so a bit of jumping the gun, a bit of SJW pandering.

First rule of business: Never pander to them.
>>
>>52141057
>It's leaner than Firefox, without all the bloat and spyware.
I thought IceWeasel was just Firefox with a free as in freedom logo and name?
I.E. no slower OR faster than Firefox in any way.
>>
File: Oh-for-fks-sake.jpg (40 KB, 575x616) Image search: [Google]
Oh-for-fks-sake.jpg
40 KB, 575x616
Have you guise ever though about just using ie5 like civil individuals. Ie master race is on the rise. Better watch out you chromefox lovers.
>pic related
>>
>>52140722
actually you can just install chrome addons
>>
>>52141305
IceWeasel != Iceweasel. GNU IceCat was formerly called IceWeasel, but they changed the name later on to IceCat. Debian's rebrand is called Iceweasel.

No, both are not *simply* rebrands. They remove bloat and telemetry and ship it with a new name and logos as you can't call it Firefox anymore with any modifications as per the Mozilla license. GNU IceCat adds some more privacy and security features and add-ons, though.

Read more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
>>
>>52136879
Themes are gone, per Mozilla
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/08/mozilla-plans-to-remove-support-for-heavyweight-themes-in-firefox/
>>
>>52137066
I went looking for their "unbranded version". As far as I can tell it doesn't exist
>>
One question

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I USE ALT-TAB WITH MOZILLA'S FULLSCREEN API TO LOOK AT OTHER PAGES WHILE LEAVING THE VIDEO PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND

You can do this with regular flash videos, but not the ones that go fullscreen through Mozilla's api (and HTML5 exclusively goes through Mozilla's api). Hitting alt+tab while in fullscreen can cause the browser to crash in some circumstances. That seems to be site specific though so maybe chalk that up to incompetent web devs. Still, fullscreen video should be its own window.
>>
>>52136834

dwb by the suckless community

Obviously none of you will agree because you only use cow/lunix so you can post your riced environments in desktop threads.
>>
>>52136597

1. ENGINEERS LEFT.

2. DIVERSITY HIRES.

3. MORE TALENT LEFT.

4. YAY WOMYN AND TRANNY DEGENERATES
>>
>>52141495
>IceWeasel != Iceweasel
Please elaborate…

Which one is IceWeasel and which is Iceweasel?
Can you link to their respective sites?
>>
>>52141855
I just did. See >>52141495 again
GNU IceCat (formerly called IceWeasel), and Debian's Iceweasel. See my previous post for links.
>>
>>52136597
Nothing you autist
>>
>>52141558
>I went looking for their "unbranded version". As far as I can tell it doesn't exist
That's because the unbranded version isn't needed…yet.
You can still toggle it in about:config. Only when they remove this option (which is next major update I think) will they release the unbranded ones.
>>
>>52141899
OK but what was the difference back when they were both called weasels?
I.E. before one was renamed to IceCat.
>>
Is it just me or did Mozilla have sound detection for the tab indicators working for pages with flash and then broke it with the latest update? Now it only shows that for HTML5 video
>>
>>52141962
Dig through the mailing lists. I'm fairly sure IceCat (then IceWeasel) added privacy features by default just like it does nowadays, whereas Iceweasel always had their vision of their own of how a modern Web browser should function.

Both mailing list archives:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-mozilla-maintainers/
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/
>>
File: fedorafox.png (106 KB, 1249x792) Image search: [Google]
fedorafox.png
106 KB, 1249x792
>>52137340
If only it still looked like that on mine. They have went fully Jimmy Wales on mine.
>>
>>52141463
So, no?
>>
>>52142122
>Dig through the mailing lists
I am not THAT autistic. Thanks a lot for the TL;DR though.
>>
>>52142191
Clear out
browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl
in about:config and add
matrix-off: home.about-scheme false
to your uMatrix.
This should allow you to clean out about:home
>>
>>52142191
That's not a fedora.
>>
>>52142606
why would anyone ever use about:home?
just set new tabs to a blank page
>>
>>52136597
They started taking out options/features only available through about:config for no reason to make peoples' lives less productive.

And then when people complained about them not working anymore they said "fuck you, won't fix".
>>
>>52142982
I have no idea anon. Just trying to help those that do.
>>
>>52137522
>nu-males
This phrase is great.

Where do we go after Firefox hits the point where we don't want to use it any more, though? At the moment I'm thinking probably going for an LTS version. I don't want to lose my DeepDark theme.
>>
>>52143149
If you hate change, ESR is definitely the channel for you.
But of course even that gets the changes eventually. But by then it's well documented how to revert any changes you dislike, so it usually works out well.
>>
>>52141616
agreed, seconded.
Dumbest shit ever, especially when you use multiple monitors.
>>
>>52141616
I recommend using mpv for all video playback.
Viewing in browser is simply a shit.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.