[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these monitors good for retro gaming? I m thinking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: crt-monitor.jpg (32 KB, 825x800) Image search: [Google]
crt-monitor.jpg
32 KB, 825x800
Are these monitors good for retro gaming?
I m thinking about using it for old jrpgs and emulators etc..
>>
>>52134068
Yes, they are.
>>
They aren't good for anything, unless you have some old consoles that you can't hook up to modern tvs and monitors.
/thread
>>
>>52134068
Just use a normal monitor, you energy wasting faggot
>>
>>52134068
ask the crt thread on >>>/vr/ instead because /g/ is just filled with consumerists shitheads who don't know how good CRTs actually are for some stuff
>>
Oh look it's one of these threads again.

Wonder how many people get triggered
>>
With the right setup, CRT monitors are the GOAT display for emulation. Install RetroArch, use the interlacing.cg shader, and enjoy the closest thing to a console hooked up to a super high-end Sony BVM, without the hassle or needing to spend hundreds of burgerbucks.
>>
>>52134068
No, they're not. They're good enough monitors that they don't have the "advantages" of playing retro games on an old TV. In other words, your games wont be blurry and filled with scanlines. They'll look crisp, like they would on an LCD. You won't see any advantages using a Trinitron CRT over just using a glossy IPS LCD, except MAYBE for fighting games if you're on the pro level or something.
>>
File: IMG_20150314_232439[1].jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150314_232439[1].jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
>>52134480
How little you know.
>>
>>52134228
>energy wasting
You'd be suprised!

Don't waste a monitor on jrpg's
just get a fucking telly off the side of the road!
>>
>>52134534
What's the point of that?

I mean. You can still count the individual pixels. Only now there are black bars going across it. It doesn't "smooth" anything out. It just makes your eyes have a harder tome to focus.
>>
>>52134576
point is games used to be designed/though with scanlines in mind therefore they tend to look better with them
>>
>>52134576
I wouldn't expect you to appreciate how good this actually looks with a bit of distance just from a shitty camera shot.
>>
>>52134596
Except this one clearly doesn't. While I might not really care about it myself. I totally get playing games in front of a CRT monitor since it does make a lot of games look more interesting. But this one really isn't one of them. At least not with that monitor.

>>52134599
You sitting like 3-4 meters away from your monitor? Or you just just have shitty eyes?
>>
>>52134632
A mere meter is good. Everything blends together really well. The game looks nice and sharp, without looking overly blocky.
>>
>>52134653
It doesn't for me. And I'm looking through a blurry photo.
>>
>>52134534
Right, and how is introducing a scanlines filter on a CRT going to look better than on a glossy LCD?

>>52134599
I've got a Trinitron CRT collecting dust in the basement. I know exactly what that image looks like in person. And I also know that it's not a proper representation of retro gaming if that's what you're going for.
>>
Playing old games in 2016 - 1 won't make you an oldfag kiddo.
>>
>>52134068
How many of your "retro gaming" consoles have VGA outputs? None of them?
Well, there you go.
>>
File: dNVvntX.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
dNVvntX.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>52134068
>>52134228
>>52134282
>>52134392

>Using technology more than 10 years old?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.