[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: R684vwL.jpg (21 KB, 346x275) Image search: [Google]
R684vwL.jpg
21 KB, 346x275
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners. Older thread >>52111954

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
File: year in memes.png (68 KB, 218x310) Image search: [Google]
year in memes.png
68 KB, 218x310
the OS-picking flowchart on the wiki really needs to be updated
some of those distros aren't around anymore
>>
File: best friend aspyr.jpg (106 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
best friend aspyr.jpg
106 KB, 1024x768
linux gaymen
>>
>>52131683
Tell him to update it, then.
>>
Functionally what are the differences between Ubuntu MATE, Debian, openSUSE, and LinuxMint?

Why should I pick one over the other?

I'm tired of supporting Microshill and want to finally make the jjump to a Linux distro
>>
When running Samba on a Raspberry Pi 2, are there any options that give me a log in/log out function or something similar for Windows? For some reason, accessing Samba on Windows causes Windows to permanently remember the log in until I log in and log out of Windows and I don't know of a workaround for it. I don't know if I didn't add something to the .conf file that I needed to or what option I need to enable or disable in Windows.
>>
>>52132833
Ubuntu is a "child" distro of Debian. They're not fully compatible but very similar. The underlying technology is almost exactly the same.
Linux Mint is normally based on Ubuntu, but there's also the Debian edition, LMDE. The normal version is Ubuntu with extra packages, LMDE is Debian with extra packages.

openSUSE is a completely different distro.

It doesn't really matter what you start with.
>>
>>52132833
Mate is a reflection of Gnome 2. When Gnome 3 went full bloat people wanted that classic start menu thing so Mate delivers that. It has some issues.

Debian is old and mainly used for severs due to stability, not a good place to start your desktop journey.

OpenSUSE and Linux Mint are garbage.

You want ease of use and familiar interface? Xubuntu is the best starter distro.
>>
>>52133298
>Mate is a reflection of Gnome 2. When Gnome 3 went full bloat people wanted that classic start menu thing so Mate delivers that. It has some issues.
the problem was'nt/isn't that GNOME 3 became bloated, but exactly the opposite. they removed a lot of features and changed the UI.

>Debian is old and mainly used for severs due to stability, not a good place to start your desktop journey.
That is simply not true, and if you really wish, there's Debian testing.

>OpenSUSE and Linux Mint are garbage.
source: my ass

>You want ease of use and familiar interface? Xubuntu is the best starter distro.
Xubuntu is fine.
>>
>>52133328
Mint is a botched implementation of xfce. Cinnamon is bloated and laggy.

OpenSUSE I can't even boot the live CD, it remains stuck at the load screen.
>>
File: blindingzathura.png (25 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
blindingzathura.png
25 KB, 1360x768
Is there anyway to invert colors on Zathura, so that pdf files don't blind me at midnight?
>>
>>52133416
>Mint is a botched implementation of xfce.
Mint is a distro, not a DE.
>Cinnamon is bloated and laggy.
I'm not a fan of Cinnamon either, but whatever floats someone's boat
>OpenSUSE I can't even boot the live CD, it remains stuck at the load screen.
So you're incompetent is what you're saying.
>>52133436
Read the man page. I think the default keybind is Ctrl+R.
>>
File: Schermata2015-12-30-02:12:31.png (132 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Schermata2015-12-30-02:12:31.png
132 KB, 1360x768
>>52133436
>Is there anyway to invert colors on Zathura, so that pdf files don't blind me at midnight?
Never mind. I suck cocks.
>>
>>52133436
>>52133466
>>52133452
How do I get ride of the page progress data on the bottom?
>>
>>52133466
white text on black background is not good for your eyes. After a while I started hallucinating shit and my eyes felt pain I looked at normal light.

Solarized or greyish background is better for long term.

>>52133452
I have installed most distros including Arch and Gentoo. The problem is quality control with OpenSUSE devs who don't know how to create a working ISO.
>>
>>52133478
>How do I get _RID_ of the page progress data on the bottom?
>>
>>52133487
>Solarized or greyish background is better for long term.
Thanks for the info, man. How do I get that for PDFs?
>>
>>52133478
>>52133488
read the man page
>>
When Im trying to install openSUSE on my T60 it keeps freezing at like 50% Im using the CD Drive and thought it was my hdd but I'm not sure now.
>>
There is Microsoft code in every Linux distribution. You're running Microsoft code right now, it's in your kernel the Microsoft+Linux kernel and there's nothing you can do about it.
Welcome to the botnet!
>>
>>52133520
I looked. I don't think it's there.
>>
>>52133716
https://pwmt.org/projects/girara/options/
ctrl+f guioptions
as for this >>52133499
https://pwmt.org/projects/zathura/documentation/
ctrl+f recolor-darkcolor
next time read the manual
>>
>>52131647
New to linux.
I want to set up my own developer environment, I installed Opebox for my Window Manager, what other things do I need to make it complete. I'm on Debian on a Virtual Machine if that that changes anything
>>
>>52133742
>next time read the manual
Thanks a lot man. I sweat to god I text searched it for relevant words.
>>
>>52133894
How about just read the manpage next time.
$ man zathura

>^i Invert the colors of the page
>^n Toggle statusbar visibility
>^m Toggle inputbar visibility

Most programs have very informative and succint manpages that you should always check first, before using online docus.
$man man
>>
>>52133619
>implying i didn't remove microsoft code in linux
>>
>>52133619
>there's nothing you can do about it.
Well actually there is a lot I can do about it.
I could for example just grep based on committer email and cherry pick out those commits. Would take some time, but perfectly doable.
Or I could just read the commits and see what they do, and then make an informed decision should I continue to use them or not.
In reality I'm not inclined to go trough all that trouble, instead I opt to trust the kernel maintainers and their judgement, but that's just me.
Nothing is stopping _you_ from doing something about it, even posting inane comments is withing your possibilities.
>>
File: 1449155012409-1.jpg (731 KB, 2000x2100) Image search: [Google]
1449155012409-1.jpg
731 KB, 2000x2100
>>52131647
>>
>>52133619
>There is Microsoft code in every Linux distribution.
What the fuck is this nigger talking about?
>>
>>52134139
Wow, epic meme there friend :-)
>>
>>52131971
What game is that? WANT!
>>
>>52134139
Linux is a kernel.
>>
is there any Linux distribution that can support multiple dpi scaling settings across multiple monitors?

I have a high pixel density 4K monitor and a regular run of the mill 1080p monitor. Since Windows 10 I can use the 1080p monitor as a second monitor and have it at 100% scaling while having the 4K monitor at 200% scaling.

I did some googling, but I only found one stack overflow page with some devilish incarnations that are supposed to make it work
>>
>>52132833
Ubuntu has Amazon Spyware and mint has a similar version that supposedly encrypts your identity, but I would still throw them both in the trash.
>>
>>52134304
>is there any Linux distribution that can support multiple dpi scaling settings across multiple monitors?
No. Why the fuck would you want that, you stupid asshole.
>>
>>52134268
It's KOTOR 2
>>
>>52134304
On which DE and with which gpu are you trying to do this? Also hidpi scaling is great on most DEs so you might want to use 100% on all of them.
>>
>>52134332
>It's KOTOR 2
Is the Linux version easy to pirate? I couldn't find the Linux version on ThePirateBay.
>>
>>52134320
>>52134352
Maybe I should mention the 4K screen is 24", so if I just put everything to 100%, everything is super fucking tiny on the 4K screen; if I put everything to 200% everything is super fucking huge on the 1080p screen

Hence why I want 200% for the first screen and 100% for the second

I didn't try any specific DE yet, I'm asking for recommendations of DEs that can do what I want
>>
>>52134380

Nah, it's only 3 euros on Steam now: (since it's Winter Sale)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580

Be respectful with this game, it's worth that 3 euros (it's not "that" much for a game good like this)
>>
im installing arch linux
ive never used linux before
this will be interesting
>>
>>52134699
you'll hate it
>>
>>52134699
>>52134704
definitely hate it. Arch Linux is not for beginners and definitely not for someone, who never used GNU\Linux based operating systems.
>>
>>52134519
maybe look into https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead

remember: you don't need to use arch in order to use the arch wiki.
>>
>>52133436
thinkpython is too concise..
try learning python..
verbose in explanation but worth it.
>>
Don't know about anyone else , but I started with a raspberry pi running raspbian, but because raspbian starts you off in tty0 I got a lot of practice with the terminal. I would say install any user friendly distro and try to accomplish your daily tasks from the terminal.
>>
Hi /flt/, just installed Arch. Everything's going fine but there's something I can't wrap my head around.

I couldn't connect to my wireless network through wifi-menu until I installed wpa_supplicant and set up the connection through that.

The thing that has me confused is that they both seem to be doing the same thing; I'm providing both with an SSID and password and asking them to connect to a network.

Why do I need to do this twice?
>>
Many DEs all over the place.

Gnome 3 is somewhat taxing for me. I can watch 1440p 60fps videos on youtube just fine if I use XFCE, but not Gnome 3.

XFCE looks a little bit more barebones, but it's not bad. I'm trying to find something else though. Let's say that I wanted a clean Ubuntu with Cinnamon, since there's no spin like that would I have to use a network installer?
>>
>>52134296
let me interject....
>>
>>52134296
http://ptpb.pw/cZCs.webm
>>
I need some help, /flt/.

I got Ubuntu server 14.02 installed on a new server I bought, but had never used a server before so I installed gnome (apt-get install gnome) so I could have a GUI for a bit. Now I have OpenSSH all working and am accessing the server from my computer which is working well, but I can't figure out how to uninstall gnome.

I've tried apt-get remove gnome and apt-get remove gnome*, but it's still installed. I tried googling for some help to the problem but everything I can find is about switching to a different DE, not uninstalling one completely.
>>
>>52135242
Disregard that, I suck cocks. apt-get remove --purge gnome* worked fine after a reboot.
>>
>>52131647
Can anyone help me find the source code for the alarm-clock program, available through apt-get on Mint/Ubuntu? I have tried google, and tried "apt-get source alarm-clock", all to no avail.

I went to the site listed in the About window, alarm-clock.pl, but it looks like it is no longer valid.

If it is in the repositories, the source must be somewhere...
>>
>>52135289
This?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/slitaz/sources/packages-cooking/a/alarm-clock-1.4.3.tar.bz2
>>
>>52135322
Exactly that, thank you.

So how did you get there? what did you google, or...? Thanks.
>>
Is the Gigabyte Brix gaming setup any good?
GB-BXi7G3-760
>>
>>52133619
Did you read the codes before calling it botnet, my dear homosexual?
>>
>>52134736
>GNU\Linux
>\Linux
>\
delicious bait, anon
>>
>>52135364
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/alarm-clock/
>>
This is probably for the stupid question thread, but how do i set 144hz on debian? I tried xrandr -r 144 but it resets every time i reboot and it looks weird.
>>
>>52135540
Make it autostart everytime you boot up your PC.
>>
Is there a small box that would take in HDMI or mini HDMI and give outputs for all of the audio channels? With HDMI passthrough would be even better. Doubt it exists though.
>>
File: Desktop_001.jpg (276 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Desktop_001.jpg
276 KB, 1920x1080
What the fuck. I can't get steam to run. It says it can't find a package, even though it's right fucking there. What do?
>>
>>52135587
This is something pretty common.

Try deleting that file.
>>
>>52135558
Yes. Google HDMI audio extractor. Not that cheap since it's an active component
>>
>>52135647
I just realized that these are doing D/A which means sound quality will be crap wont it? Are there any brands that make nice 7.1 Extractors?
>>
File: Terminal - edge@Edge:~_003.jpg (118 KB, 819x513) Image search: [Google]
Terminal - edge@Edge:~_003.jpg
118 KB, 819x513
>>52135605
That kinda worked, now it demands more
>>
Is there any way to add a vertical panel on a side of the screen on cinnamon?
>>
>>52135697
>>52135587
this is what happened to me after I've started using the Nvidia drivers. Be it proprietary or open-source, steam hanged there. I've even uninstalled / installed the mentioned packages.
In my case, a reinstall solved the problem...

>>52135486
:^)
>>
Is gthumb aproved?
>>
>>52136046
You can use viewnior
>>
Ordered an ssd yesterday and will be doing a fresh install on it. Should I stick with ext4 or is it time to try btrfs or f2fs?
>>
>>52136122
ext4 with -o discard
>>
>>52136056
Doesnt work on mint
>>
>>52136164
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:skellat/flow1

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install viewnior
>>
>>52136186
>>52136186
'Command not found'
>>
How can I make Nautilus apply settings without restarting it (or at least make it restore closed windows)?
I'm trying to write a script for tablet rotation that would also change Nautilus preferred view to icons when in tablet mode.
>>
Alright easier question. Does a stereo that takes in HDMI and outputs 7.1 analog have 8 DACs, one per channel?
>>
>>52136122
>>52136148
no.

btrfs with noatime,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=lzo
>>
Hey guys need some help.
I am pretty newbie on Linux, you will notice it by my question, but I really wanted to automate something.
I need to start an emulator through terminal. This emulator is located inside some folders. The folders are located inside my home folder. How do I write a script to do this for me?
>>
I'm making a script bit i cant find a way to make it full automatic so the question is. How can i get the script to auto accept all y/n questions?
>>
>>52136448
just use the full path
/home/username/some/folder/emulator

>>52136778
some programs have a parameter that allows you to skip that kind of question (yes to all)
sometimes you have to use yes (http://linux.die.net/man/1/yes)
>>
>>52136869
i mean im donwloading shit with apt-get and it asks for approval that its 5mb and do i want to install it and all that shit
>>
>>52136892
check out apt-get --help
  -y  Assume Yes to all queries and do not prompt
>>
I'm using Debian Testing KDE version. Are there any firefox based browser that have Kdialog as filepicker. The only browser that have it is Chromium.
>>
Considering dual-booting linux but was wondering if it will be possible to access my Windows files in linux if I do this. Can it be done?
>>
>>52137651
yeah, easily.
>>
>>52137651
not a problem, most DEs install ntfs read/write capabilities by default
>>
>>52137651
Yep. The complex thing would be to access your linux files from Windows.
>>
>>52137688
that's fairly easy too, unless you're using some really exotic file system
>>
>>52137666
>>52137673
>>52137688
Thanks, I'll look into it. The main thing I am concerned about is accessing .torrent files to load into the client, but also documents and the like.
>>
The thing than annoys me the most about Xubuntu is that there's a one second delay every time I open the file manager.
Why can't it be more like explorer?
>>
>>52133466
Fuck, that hurts my eyes more than black on white.
Is there a way to make it brown on dark brown, like with sumatrapdf?
>>
>>52137748
accessing the files is easy, same thing as accessing a linux file system really.
actually opening the documents might be harder, depending on what kind of document we're talking about. standard stuff like pdf and docx shouldn't be a problem. more exotic formats might be.
>>
>>52137764
You mean having a 5 minute delay instead?
>>
File: Linux.jpg (244 KB, 1690x949) Image search: [Google]
Linux.jpg
244 KB, 1690x949
>>52134139
>>
File: faggot dev.jpg (33 KB, 599x197) Image search: [Google]
faggot dev.jpg
33 KB, 599x197
Haha holy shit, fucking ubuntu.

Which screen shooter allows me to save my screens to a folder with ONE fucking press of a button and no prompt?
>>
>>52132833
The difference between distros is the software repository: mostly version and number of packages, how the package manager works and what it configures for you.
Herein lies also policy, like some will not include nonfree software, and some have not the capacity to maintain everything.
Another big difference is preinstalled software.
What comes with the system like desktop environment and default tools.
You could install the same tools on all of these systems and would have very similar systems.

So read up on the differences from that perspective and make up your mind.
ubuntu, debian and mint all use the same package manager as they all spawn from debian.
opensuse is more of a enterprise OS, where they have made a lot of tools to control updates and such.
They have one of the best KDE setups, although kubuntu and chakra is fine contenters to that as well.
Using a "preconfigured" setup might be good for new users as you get to see how it can be, rather than just installing it looking at it for 5 minutes and giving up on it.
It takes time, I know, but once you have found something that works for you, you will be a lot more comfortable on your system and that leads to greater productivity.
>>
>>52137355
Try out firefox-kde from a ppa. I think it was patched for that
>>
>>52138275
>The difference between distros is
Can we add this to a FAQ somewhere? It seems to be asked fairly often
>>
>>52138352
Maybe just to the /flt/ pasta
>>
>>52138109
install xbindkeys
bind a hotkey to
"import +repage -window root ~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"

done
>>
>>52136274
Plz halp. Is my only option either giving up or getting a different file manager?
>>
File: letruth.jpg (156 KB, 1179x819) Image search: [Google]
letruth.jpg
156 KB, 1179x819
>>52134139
the updated version
>>
If I am running normal modern linux distro
how likely am I running a x32 code?
will it die off mostly in this decade, or did it already mostly and I have just not notice?

I think that default install of any disto is 64 and comes with 64 bit apps right?

Should I feel in my projects obligated to accommodate 32bit users?
>>
>>52137712
All those 3rd party utils that add ext4 read/write support to windows have been known to sometimes corrupt ext4 partitions
>>
>>52131647
>Friendly Linux Thread
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Hey, /flt/.
I've been trying Linux on and off for a little over 5 years now and just set up a dualboot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint 17.3 on my laptop. My only gripe as of this moment is battery life, but even still find it worth it just to use an open source operating system. I've done a little bit of searching and found this: http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html
It seems to have improved my battery life quite a bit and I was wondering if there are other things I could configure to increase my battery life even more.
>>
>>52138540
>jackie chan
>>
Im working at a retail store and we're using ubuntu to play demo videos as screensavers. It's a real pain in the ass so I was thinking about making it a lot easier.
We use xscreensaver to play the vids and we have a sort of automatic script to do all the stuff except the xscreensaver script change and some minor shit.
My question is, if I change to lubuntu or xubuntu to make the size of the os smaller and the install faster how many things do I have to download to make the program work?
Also is there a way to make a linux live usb that already has these changes?
>>
>>52138469
Thanks for the tip, did it with scrot instead.
>>
File: 1445204013485.jpg (330 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1445204013485.jpg
330 KB, 806x938
>>52138588
>>
Why do the suckless devs make their packages customizable only through editing their source? Sure it's fast, but it's complicated and I'd rather just edit a config file. Am I a retard?
>>
Is there a way to create empty containers/windows on i3? I want to have windows that only span half the screen
>>
>>52136315
>ssd
>autodefrag
uh...
>>
Debian user here.

I'm preparing to migrate to Arch because I need to do PCI passthrough to a Windows VM, and I've heard that Arch is basically the best for this.

I've also heard that Arch is quite easy to break, esp when updating.
What are some protips to keep Arch stable for the long-term? I know what a rolling release is, but I've never used one before.
>>
>>52138927
nothing wrong with btrfs autodefrag, even on ssds
>>
File: 2015-12-30_17-30-24.png (864 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-30_17-30-24.png
864 KB, 1366x768
r8 my desktop chaps
>>
>>52139170
Doesn't defragging kill SSDs?
>>
>>52139233
>https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options
>autodefrag (since 3.0)
>Will detect random writes into existing files and kick off background defragging.
>>
>>52139263
btrfs is shaping up to be pretty great

I'm still not planning on migrating to it anytime soon, ext4 does all I need for now.
>>
why are there no noob friendly distros that look nice?
>>
>>52139077
I haven't run into any problems with Arch...yet.

Main things: do full system updates instead of partial ones. So, either
pacman -Syu
or
pacman -Syyu

The difference between the two is that the extra y will force the databases to refresh, even if pacman thinks they're up-to-date. It takes a few seconds/minutes longer, so your mileage may vary. Syu is more than good for me, but there are situations where Syyu is better.

The key thing is, always pay attention to what Pacman spits out. If you do that, you'll be fine 99% of the time.

The other 1% of the time, pay attention to Arch's front page here and there: https://www.archlinux.org/news/

Also notable:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages
>>
>>52139213
NK?
>>
>>52139473
Yeah, Red Star OS, our glorious leader hand coded the OS from the fines bits and bytes
>>
>>52139403
Speaking of updating Arch.

A month or so ago when I Syu'ed my system it kinda got stuck during boot. Turned out to be the nvidia drivers fucking up so I got rid of them in favor of Nouveau instead and it's been working fine since.

However I'm getting in the mood to emulate a few games and I think I should probably go back to using the proprietary drivers again.

Anything to keep in mind to not make them fuck things up again? I'm fairly new to Arch.
>>
>>52139389
I installed LXLE on a shitty old netbook. It's pretty easy to use and can look pretty nice. It is also very lightweight and the default skin is pretty okay too (and it comes with some nice default wallpapers).
>>
>>52139543
Honestly, there could be any number of things to check. I'm guessing, just be wary of when anything with "nvidia" or, I suppose, "xorg" in their name is updating.

Otherwise, not much you can do. New drivers tend to break stuff; it's true for all OSes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Troubleshooting
>>
File: guuns.jpg (876 KB, 2000x2100) Image search: [Google]
guuns.jpg
876 KB, 2000x2100
>>52134139
fixed it 4 ya m80
>>
>>52140022
more like
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-can-disable-sniper-rifleor-change-target/
>>
>>52134305
>mint has a similar version that supposedly encrypts your identity
Bullshit, privacy is one of the benefits of Mint over Ubuntu.
>>
>>52135374
>GB-BXi7G3-760
It overheats when gaming.
>>
Should I disable [mutltilib] on Arch? I enabled it because I though it was necessary and installed shit like gcc-multilib but now I think it's useless so should I remove it?
>>
>>52140188
idk
>>
File: 1451424515500.png (83 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1451424515500.png
83 KB, 512x512
>tfw gittin gud with Vim

It's a cool feel, not gonna lie.

VimTutor is useful to get your feet wet: you learn the utter basics of, say, moving within a file and editing a text file (in prose). Honestly, the User Manual -- as long as it is -- is probably the best way to solidify what you've previously learned in the tutorial and get even better. There's just too much stuff that's not covered in the tutorial that's fun and useful in the Manual.
>>
File: 1442871345629.jpg (48 KB, 580x350) Image search: [Google]
1442871345629.jpg
48 KB, 580x350
>>52140300
>mfw I know you are wasting hundreds of hours that could have been put to learning something of a value

http://blog.andrewray.me/just-use-sublime-text/
>>
>>52140381
>proprietary
um, you do realize your on /g/nu right?
>>
>>52140409
sublime in the title is just placeholder for any modern editor
the article is purely about vim
and you probably dont realize this but stallman and install gentoo and gnu everything
its a meme a joke, though few are serious about everything being botnet
>>
>>52140437
just cause shit is a meme doesn't mean that we're not serious about open source
>>
File: 1446769466462.png (295 KB, 771x1875) Image search: [Google]
1446769466462.png
295 KB, 771x1875
friendly reminder
>>
>>52140467
>we're not
Anon dont speak for others.
>>
How do I get a working void linux idk? I tried like 3 different ones in their site and used a media creation tool to make a usb but none of them worked
>>
>>52140673
how do you know I wasn't using the royal we?
we are not amused by your assumptions
>>
>>52131647
is gksu/gksudo deprecated? crashes my whole system for me.
>>
I have installed arch. I have installed i3 and openbox.
When I boot up my machine, I login, but I fail to start the graphical interface.

However, installing lightDM solves the problem.

What is the correct command for correctly starting the interface without passing through lightdm or any "greeter" ?
>>
>>52140935
Startx
>>
>>52140935
startx or xinit

Keep in mind, you'd need to change your xinitrc file to actually launch one of those WMs.

See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

Openbox's command to launch would be "exec openbox-session". i3 would be "exec i3".
>>
>>52131647
>"Use OpenSUSE anon"
>"It is very stable!"
>Open YaST
>Crash

Don't reboot it, just crash
>>
>>52140977
>>52141011
For some reason, the machine does some stuff and quickly goes back to the login prompt where I have to log again.

I'll check Xinitrc.
>>
>>52131647
I have no audio in Arch, I only get a "dummy output" on pulseaudio

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#The_only_device_shown_is_.22dummy_output.22_or_newly_connected_cards_aren.27t_detected

I have no ~/.asoundrc file anywhere, how to fix this?

I fucking hate linux so much holy fucking shit, this is what makes me want to install windows10 and just fuck my freedom up.
>>
>>52141353
Post a screenshot of your pavucontrol, if you can.
>>
File: 1450837037416.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450837037416.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1200
>>52135803
Anyone?
>>
>>52141522
this?
>>
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/user/unreal4/unrealircd-4.0.0':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Trying to build Unreal on a friend's server (running Cpanel), and it seems gcc is present. How do I fix this?
>>
>>52138540
Autism
>>
which amd drivers do i use for a r9 390? i just need the name of the open driver package in debian. do i just install xserver-xorg-video-ati?
>>
File: 1451304947642.png (532 KB, 1597x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451304947642.png
532 KB, 1597x1600
>>52141645
Fortunately I saved this bait for anon on my holidays laptop.
>>
>>52141353
>>52141522
nvm I fixed it, it was FluidSynth after all, I may hate linux but I cannot hate the Archwiki
>>
File: v bingo.png (412 KB, 816x2092) Image search: [Google]
v bingo.png
412 KB, 816x2092
>>52142072
Not much of a bait anon kun. This one is though
>>
>>52136229
Mint Debian edition?
>>
>>52142160
He's retarded
>>
>>52140688
have you tried perhaps installing gentoo?
>>
post unigine valley results
>>
File: wtf.png (867 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
867 KB, 1680x1050
>>52131647

Hey guys, a bit new to Ubuntu here. I was reading a book on Assembly and suddenly Document Viewer froze then shut down. When I reopened it, the table of contents no longer showed up. I've looked it up on Google, and tried uninstalling & reinstalling (to no avail, obviously). What do?
>>
why does compiling the kernel on gentoo take so long?
>>
File: 1451509403917.jpg (239 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1451509403917.jpg
239 KB, 1680x1050
>>52143748
>and tried uninstalling & reinstalling (to no avail, obviously).
This will never work lol. Most software stores users config in ~/ which is not deleted on removal.

Hower your mouse over the titlebar at the top (pic rel).
Are there any options/settings/preferences menus?
>>
>>52144124
Linux kernel is a behemoth.
>>
I have a Raspberry Pi connected to a Bluetooth speaker using Bluetoothctl - how can I set it as an audio device via cli so I can play music?
>>
>>52145188
the best solution would probably be using mpd+some kind of frontend, be it nmcmccp or something graphical, since mpd is the server (yout put on the rbpi) and the frontend is the client (on whatever computer you want to control it from)
>>
File: screen02.jpg (656 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screen02.jpg
656 KB, 1920x1080
Linux noob here, why is my dl speed so shit with steam?
>>
>>52145678
Ask valve, they made steam and they're the ones hosting the server
>>
>>52145727
I thought there might be packages updating in the background or some shit
>>
>>52144873
Ahh, beautiful. Figured it out, thanks, senpai
>>
>>52145678
IIRC (and I'm probably wrong with this), doesn't Steam basically "torrent" their files to you? So, it'd make sense for files to download quickly to a Windows setup (since there are a lot more of them) compared to a Linux setup.
>>
File: fuck gentoo.jpg (50 KB, 554x527) Image search: [Google]
fuck gentoo.jpg
50 KB, 554x527
ok i'm at my wit's end senpai

>be me installing gentoo
>follow the documentation
>build kernel with genkernel
>install grub on harddisk
>boot grub
>grub shell
any advice, senpai?
>>
What's the difference between 32 and 64 bit versions?
>>
>>52145895
64 bit versions utilizes datapath widths, integer size, and memory address widths of 64 bits.

Depending on the implementation, the quality of code, optimization to make use of forementioned characteristics, the performance of XYZ software can increase greatly, compared to 32bit versions
>>
>>52145954
Thank you.
>>
i use redshift and my mouse cursor still has the same color, why? it doesn't bother me but i would like to know why randr acts like this.
>>
>>52146092
Have you tried to google it?
Report back when you do. It has been answered.
>>
>>52146164
>Known bugs and limitations

Redshift won’t affect the color of your mouse cursor when your graphics driver is configured to use hardware cursors. Some graphics drivers have an option to disable hardware cursors in xorg.conf.

i searched for it but this raises even more questions. how does the hardware cursor work and why isn't it affected by randr? also why does it exist? is there a specific reason?
>>
>>52146274
>i searched for it but this raises even more questions. how does the hardware cursor work and why isn't it affected by randr? also why does it exist? is there a specific reason?
There's an answer to this question on google as well.
>>
>>52146445
don't find anything relevant, can you help with the search terms? i have been using
linux "hardware cursor" radeon randr"
through searx.me on google, ixquick, startpage, yandex, qwant, ddg and swisscows
>>
>>52146035
Also, 32-bit means your computer cannot use more than ~3.4 GB of ram. So you probably want to go for 64-bit.
>>
>>52131647
Not 'service daemon stop'?
>>
>>52146524
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6957039/what-is-hardware-cursor-and-how-does-it-work
>>
>>52146569
systemctl stop daemon.service

would be more accurate right now.
>>
>>52146574
thanks anon, i shouldn't think so complicated.
>>
>>52131971
That actually looks good for a linux gayme
>>
>>52146595
you sir are son to a bitch
>>
I'm pretty new to Linux but I decided to try full install it on my laptop since I just use it to watch animu. I want to ask if I continue with the installation, will I lose my DATA partition?
Since I only have 1 HDD but I partitioned it into 2, SYSTEM and DATA. I got this popup with when I set ext4 on SYSTEM partition and I'm just kind of scared that I will lose all my data that I save on partition DATA (it's still ntfs).
I just want to know if I proceed now I will only format my SYSTEM and Linux will install on that partition and leave my DATA partition untouched
>>
>>52146658
don't continue.
backup your shit and then continue.
>>
>>52145781
That would be it, thanks man.
>>
>>52146658
Backup, you're okay but a backup would ensure it.

Also 360MB of swap is pointless, you either go for zero or a little more than the total size of your RAM(in case you want to use system hibernate functions)
>>
>>52146692
I do have a 4tb ext HDD but I don't feel like backing everything up since it'll take some time despite my DATA only have around 300gb
I use to reinstall windows a lot so this is what I do all the time. So if I continue it'll also delete my DATA partition and lose all my file?
>>
>>52146658
from that screen alone, your ntfs partition (442.4GB) looks fine.

but yea, back up your shit. you never know what crazy shit linux might do to an ntfs partition over time.
>>
>>52146658
I can't even see the fucking partition table
>>
>>52146740
Do it you faggot, would you rather put in a bit of effort or risk losing all your data? The choice is yours.
>>
>>52146748
So it'll be fine without me backing up the DATA partition right? That's all I'm scared of losing the DATA partition
>>52146750
Here you go anon, I just want linux to be installed on the 54gb one and leave the 422gb one untouched
>>52146784
Yeah the thing is it's going to take a long time to backup the whole thing and since I do reinstall windows all the time before and I just thought that it maybe the same with Linux in the sense that I can just reformat one partition to ext4 and install it there without touching my DATA partition
>>
>>52133030
This has nothing to do with the RPi 2. Windows likes to cache credentials.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00002.jpg (595 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00002.jpg
595 KB, 1920x1080
>>52146633
here's another linux gayme screenshot. it's not like there are no beautiful games.
>>
>>52142123
PulseAudio and ALSA seem to be some of the few things with shitty documentation even on the Arch Wiki.
I've been using Arch for a few months now but I still can't figure out how to set my default input device in ALSA, and Pulse doesn't even recognize my mic
>>
>>52134736
Was my first distro apart from touching Ubuntu a few times. Never had a problem and I love it.
>>
Should I bother partitioning my /home? And if so how big should I leave /.

Personally don't really see the point of a /home partition but whatever...
>>
>>52145857
learn2grub
1. ls -l Figure out which one is the partition with gentoo on it
2. set root=(hdX,Y) Obviously replace X and Y with the numbers and shit for the partition with gentoo
3. linux /boot/[vmlinuz] root=/dev/sdXY Use tab completion here. I don't know what your kernel will be named. Example for setting the root: if in step 2 it was (hd0,2) then it should probably be root=/dev/sda2
4. initrd /boot/[initramfs] Again use tab completion, I don't know what the default initramfs is on gentoo
>>
>>52147092
5. boot (that's literally the command)
forgot that's required for the command line as opposed to menu entries
>>
>>52139213
>bar on top
>dock
Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>52147063
the point i having a /home is that if you reinstall or use another distro you can just keep /home
home should be about 3x as big as the rest
>>
>>52147144
or if you use an SSD
>>
>>52147144
Regarding reinstalling that makes sense. But couldn't I just copy /home to another drive then format? It'd cost me barely any more time but removes the chance of space issues.

Not sure why you'd use 2 distros though.

>>52147168
Explain.
>>
>>52146887
Witcher 2?

Always mystified me why this is the only one in the series that got a Linux release
>>
>>52147208
>explain
/ on SSD
/home and /var on HDD so I don't run out of space in like a week
>>
>>52147387
Ah yeah that makes sense, that's sort of what I do with Windows right now actually.

How do you point /home to another drive? Do you just delete the folder and symlink it?
>>
>>52147387
>/var
kek
>>
>>52131647
the only beginner friendly, non-compromised version of Linux available is Gentoo
>>
I'm new to Linux. Installed Debian Stretch a month ago and loving it. Currently using KDE after starting with gnome. Why should I change to xcfe? Or any other DE?
>>
>>52147466
KDE is garbage, or it was when I used it. If you must use a DE use xfce or mate. Recommend i3 though.
>>
>>52147414
mount /dev/sdXY /home
if you're mounting multiple directories to the same partition then you have to use mount bindings like I do
>>52147443
wat
>>
>>52147466
any DE you like is fine. there's no reason to switch to something else as long as you're happy with what you've got.
>>
>>52147466
Because your biggest mistake IS using KDE.
>>
>>52147466
>>52147492
i3 isn't for beginners. Use Gnome or XFCE depending on what you want.
If you feel comfortable, go ahead and learn i3
>>
>>52147511
Seriously, why mount /var in HDD?
>>
>>52147511
>mount /dev/sdXY /home
Makes sense. I thought you could only mount to empty directories though, do you purge yours first?
>>
>>52147369
There are rumors on a witcher 3 port. Maybe next summer. I'm a graphics whore so I am also excited for Kingdom come deliverance, ark survival and no mans sky. Maybe cdpr want to wait for vulkan?
>>
>>52147538
>i3 isn't for beginners
No it's not, but there are very simple guides out there for those that are interested.
>>
>>52147545
Pretty sure you can mount to non-empty directories. Usually this is something that's done during installation though; I've never tried to remount /home post install
>>
>>52147544
du /var /-hs
36G /var

And that's after 3 months on this system
>>
>>52147551
>Maybe cdpr want to wait for vulkan?
Maybe, personally I'm choosing to be cynical and not expect a sudden torrent of Linux ports and releases all of a sudden even if Vulkan comes out in full force.

I'd love to be proven wrong with even a respectable smattering of ports and releases.
>>
>>52147582
>Usually this is something that's done during installation though
That would fix it.
>>
>>52147608
The only big files on your /var maybe (if Arch) is /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*, you can safely delete the rest (such as /var/log etc.)
>>
>>52147643
None the less /var doesn't need to be fast and puts unnecessary writes on my SSD. If I find myself needing a speedy /var I'll copy and remount.
>>
>>52139077
>I'm preparing to migrate to Arch because I need to do PCI passthrough to a Windows VM, and I've heard that Arch is basically the best for this

XD
>>
>>52139077
install a downgrader package, install etckeeper, and if your paranoid, read patch notes before updating
>>
File: confused slav.jpg (15 KB, 410x278) Image search: [Google]
confused slav.jpg
15 KB, 410x278
Could it be that grub-install is too dumb to just create an efi directory inside of /boot on its own?
>>
>>52147803
Use systemd-boot.
>>
Hi,

Set up a mailserver using iredmail, worked fine for about ~15mins then the roundcube webmail stopped resolving, can both send and receive externally (tried with 365), domain resolves to correct ip, MX record is pointed at the correct address, rebooted. Anything else I should check?
>>
>>52147582
>I've never tried to remount /home post install
you remount it with every reboot

mounting to a non-empty directory is possible, but it's not something you should do.

if you want to move your /home to a different partition, try something like this:
0. do this in single user mode as root
1. create /new_home (obviously you can use any name/path)
2. mount the partition you wanna move your /home to at /new_home
3. copy contents of /home to /new_home and verify everything is there, including permissions (use rsync)
4. either delete /home and recreate it as an empty directory or move it to /old_home if you wanna keep another backup
5. edit fstab to mount your new partition to /home instead of /new_home
6. reboot
>>
>>52147844
check the logs
>>
>>52147845
>you remount it every boot
yes I realize that. Correction: I've never tried MOVING my /home mountpoint
happy?
>>
>>52147845
How does fstab handle the HDD /home wants being encrypted.
>>
>>52147834
Would you mind explaining why? The way I understand it from reading some wikis, it looks to me like grub is a bit more versatile, so why not?
>>
>>52147893
Because GNU in general (and GRUB in specific) is stupid with UEFI.
>>
>>52147883
depends on what kind of encryption you use

with ecryptfs, nothing really changes for fstab. the encryption happens on top of the mounted file system.
with dm-crypt/luks, you'd add the encrypted partition to crypttab, so it gets unlocked during boot (you have to enter the passphrase, obviously). then mount the mapper in fstab.
>>
File: 1450519568589.jpg (130 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1450519568589.jpg
130 KB, 1024x576
>>52147930
So when UEFI becomes the new standard (or at least tries to), will GNU have a hard time prevailing?
>>
>>52147930
Grub is fine with UEFI in my experience. Everything else GNU isn't, but GRUB is
>>
>>52148012
GRUB is fairly redundant now that UEFI exists. GRUB exists for the purpose of managing bootloaders. Now that UEFI exists, you can choose a bootloader target with the UEFI loader which makes that aspect of GRUB redundant.
>>
>>52148069
It's redundant most of the time sure, but it's not hard to get it to work with UEFI. In fact in my experience installing GRUB on UEFI targets has less problems than pc/MBR targets.
Also older UEFI systems (such as mine) still benefit greatly from a bootmanager
>>
>>52147868
Works internally, nginx looking in the wrong (nonexistent folder) for iredadmail

time for some reading I guess
>>
>>52148253
i might be able to help you if you post logs/nginx conf
>>
anyone here use linux on a desktop 24/7?
what distro do you use?
what DE do you use?
how much of a pain is it to get games working in wine?
>>
File: screen05.jpg (654 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screen05.jpg
654 KB, 1920x1080
Wow yaourt is so based. It makes installing quality software very quick and easy.

Got everything going wonderful now, now I don't need Windows on this machine. I'll only use windows on a machine for 100% gaming, no transactions, searches, emails, downloads or anything. To minimize their data harvesting of me.

Fuck yeah ARCH.
>>
>>52148320
Yes
Arch
i3wm
Depends on the game. I don't use Wine though.
>>
>>52148069
how would you go about dualbooting without grub?
>>
>>52148320
Yes
Arch
i3
Use playonlinux, and be willing to try like 17 different wine versions
>>
File: log.png (182 KB, 1704x2156) Image search: [Google]
log.png
182 KB, 1704x2156
>>52148277
Thanks, I'm more than happy to do some reading if you have any good sources also as I realize my problem is most likely the most obvious shit ever.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.