[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1600Mhz vs 2400Mhz DDR3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 51MXy7QSXuL.jpg (37 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
51MXy7QSXuL.jpg
37 KB, 500x296
/g/entlemen,

Considering some games are starting to come through that either recommend 16GB system memory or are CPU-bound and might benefit from faster frequencies, should I replace my two sticks of 4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance DDR3 with 2x 8GB 2400Mhz or just buy two more of what I've got?

Any issues with very high frequency memory on my platform?

Any issues with 4x 4GB on my platform?

Can I just plug them in and the extra capacity will be there automatically?

CPU: i5 3450
Mobo: Gigabyte, can't remember or be bothered to find out...
Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks in advance!
>>
File: send_booze.jpg (28 KB, 302x377) Image search: [Google]
send_booze.jpg
28 KB, 302x377
Bumping...
>>
Just stick with 1600, there's near-nonexistent benefits with insane frequencies, timings and size will be more of a benefit

http://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games
>>
>>52131260
>http://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games

Thanks for the article, although it is over a year old. Fallout 4 has been touted as a game that mighty actually benefit from higher frequency RAM due to being so CPU-bound. I have to think this could come up again in the not-too-distant.
>>
>>52131133
Depends on the tCL, have you tightened the timings of the RAM you're currently running? There are some retards here (as evidenced by Speccy threads) that are running 1600 @ cas 9 or (god forbid) 11.

Fucking casuals.
>>
>>52131358
I may just be one of those casuals. I have no idea what timings I am running at present and Win10 removed Speccy from my system!
>>
>>52131358
>http://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games

What's good CL for 1600? I just bought 8 GB that are CAS 9. I'm gone for the holidays and didn't have any time to mess with overclocking before I left. Does it really matter that much?
>>
>>52131417
Not planning on o/cing myself, but interested to know this.
>>
>CPU: i5 3450
just kill yourself
>>
>>52131559
Fuck off, Neckbeard.
>>
>>52131417
I know you can get 1866 with 9-9-9-24, so i'm assuming lower than that for top sped 1600
>>
>>52131417
Ideally, it's as low as your RAM can work with, and brands are all over the place when it comes to running on timings lower than the advertised SPD. You basically just start at something low, run Memtest, and if it looks good, go lower, then stop when shit starts failing. Go back to your last working timings, then run Prime95 to be sure
>>
>>52131559
>we all need to have the latest and greatest CPU
>>
>>52131133
Stick with 1600.
Beyond 1333 or so you get to the point where the required increase in timing in order to run at that speed negates the benefits of the higher speed
>>
>>52133936
Pretty much this. You'll realistically only see a difference of +/-.20ns or some such nonsense. All's well so long as you aren't running some ridiculously loose meme timing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.