[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android N will drop Java: IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 9
File: java-for-android.png (8 KB, 257x230) Image search: [Google]
java-for-android.png
8 KB, 257x230
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/29/google-will-replace-oracles-java-apis-with-openjdk-in-the-next-version-of-android/
>>
>>52130326
And one Dev phone at Google will get the update
>>
Open source Java is still Java

Wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>>52130326
They should use C# instead of Java
>>
Durr
>>
How is that dropping Java?
>>
They should switch to python and include qt libraries.
>>
>>52130420
>Python

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>52130380
You can already use Scala for developing android apps there would be absolutely no point.
>>
>>52130435
Any programming language is better than java.
>>
> Google Will Replace Oracle's Java APIs With OpenJDK In The Next Version Of Android
Not replacing java you retards
>>
>>52130463
>php
>javascript
>lisp
>>
>>52130486
I said programming languages.
>>
I came here after reading the headline, thinking Google will put more effort into the NDK. I guess that won't be happening any soon.
>>
>>52130525
meant for >>52130510
>>
>>52130326
> Too retarded to see openjdk is still Java.
> Posts sensationalist thread title.

Just give up.
>>
>>52130420
python wouldn't be good enough for something like this. much too slow.
>>
>>52130463
python is in no way better than java.
>>
>>52130326
Android should be dropped for GNU.
The whole mobile OS bullshit meme was cute when it was new but it's just annoying now.
>>
>>52130463
ArnoldC?
>>
>>52130463
Fuck off, Python is 100x worse than Java
>>
>>52131407
This.
>>
>>52131407
Even Ruby would be a better choice.
>>
Android N(ode.js)
>>
>>52130463

edge bro

EDGE
>>
>>52130326
>theyre replacing java with java
>>
>>52130463
Wow
Im done with this board
>>
>>52131570
you and me both. this is just outrageous
>>
>>52130326
>openjdk is not java

You're an idiot.
>>
>>52130326
No, still Java.
Just Open JDK instead of Oracle JDK.
>>
>not developing native android apps

I don't even
>>
>>52130326
itt:
>thinking android is actually java
let me know when android implements the jfc. android a shit
>>
I'm not familiar with OpenJDK. What differentiates it from Oracle's Java?
>>
>>52131570
>>52131587
>Falling for obvious bait.
>>
>>52132189
Mostly licensing
>>
>>52132189
I too would like to know this. Specifically if there are performance differences between the two on similar applications.
>>
>>52132314
But is it a different implementation of the JVM? A different implementation of the Java standard libraries? I though Oracle's lawsuit was claiming they owned all rights to the Java API, so even if you used different implementations the interface would still be the same, no?
>>
If this means we finally get lambdas, I'm all for the change.
>>
>>52132587
wut I thought Java 8 had lambdas
>>
Will this break compatibility with existing apps?
>>
>>52133544
Nope. It's still Java, just not Oracles version. Same everything else.
>>
>>52130463
Next version will be done in DarkBASIC
>>
>>52133705
Sounds edgy, I'm in.
>>
I don't get how you can be so illiterate that "OpenJDK" doesn't mean java
>>
>>52133726
>falling for obvious b8
>>
>>52133154
It does, I think
>>
>>52130420
>They should switch to python and include qt libraries.
Android is laggy enough without this stupid idea.
>>
>>52133769
Is it really that important to you that someone writes a short sentence falling for the bait?

This is like going fishing, then catching a boot and going
>falling for obvious bait
>>
>>52131466
So windows phone has a chance then.
>>
b-but openjdk is shit and incomplete and full of bugs

why would they do this
>>
>>52133933
Android is only laggy if you buy cheap ones. If you want good experience then buy a big brand's latest flagship or any nexus (5 or newer).
>>
>We are switching to the OpenJDK
>version 7
You had one job. One job.
>>
>>52134404
jej
>>
>>52130510
+1 for PHP, it really is better than java.
>>
File: edgy scaring the children.png (829 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
edgy scaring the children.png
829 KB, 900x600
>>52130398
OP is retarded.
>>52130463
And so are you
>>
File: bait fishing pole.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
bait fishing pole.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>52134640
>>
>>52130326
Are you retarded? They're moving to OpenJDK.

Which is just the fully open sauce Java. If anything, that will strengthen the bond of Android with Java.

Let's be glad that Android uses Linux and -by default- open sauce Java, it's the best combination for an open OS that's supposed to work across devices. If you're not happy with Java's syntax, just program Scala, Clojure or whatever.

>>52134404
Uh, aren't they saying Version 8 in the article?
>>
>>52134805
>Uh, aren't they saying Version 8 in the article?

>The representative went on to say that the change was being implemented because Google wanted to utilize features in Java version 8

Yep. This is a good thing.
>>
>>52132368
US-only bullshit about API copyright aside, Sun licensed OpenJDK as GPLv2+classpath exception before Oracle bought them, and Oracle further contributed to that code base later on, too.

That license is perpetual, irrevocable, and open to use to anyone, so even if Oracle happens to own the copyright to the API or whatever, you have the right to use it under the GPL license their predecessor company (and then they themselves) used.
>>
If the APIs are different wouldn't this break apps big time?
Apps made for old android don't work on new android because different apis
Apps made for new android don't work on old android because different apis
>>
Nilla Wafer
>>
>>52130380
They use Java because it's architecture agnostic. It'd be cool to see Google use something like Forth instead
>>
>>52135225
The Android API have changed many times now in some backwards-incompatible fashion.

But they're versioned, you can keep using older ones until you're ready to roll out your update.

And it's not like OpenJDK and Oracle JDK have entirely incompatible API anyhow.
>>
>>52135257
Google has Go as one of its pet projects - that's exotic enough, isn't it?

But I bet you could use Forth on Android if you cared...
>>
>>52135281
The thing about Forth is that you can write even drivers in it and compile them to platform agnostic fcode.
>>
>>52135337
Java could do that too. But like Forth, not with Linux.

If you don't have direct hardware support for Java, you'd have to have kernel support for Java to get pure Java drivers... same as with Forth.
>>
>>52130510
>it's faster, therefore it's better!
>>
>>52135398
>Java could do that too
Yes but my point is moving away from Java, not using Forth for the sake of using Forth.
>If you don't have direct hardware support for Java, you'd have to have kernel support for Java to get pure Java drivers... same as with Forth.
If Google were to implement Forth drivers the hardware would of course support Forth, same with their software.
>>
I compared the performance of OpenJDK or Oracle JDK recently, OpenJDK is way way behind Oracle and it was really noticeable.
Should mention this was running Android Studio which is what I needed it for. I know that's a lot heavier than the Android OS but they're gonna have to polish that shit up before it becomes usable. Kinda sad because I was looking forward to multiwindow on N.
>>
>>52133673

If literally every minor point release update for Java completely fucks compatibility with all three of our LOB apps, I struggle with "Java is Java".
>>
File: galotg.jpg (12 KB, 200x219) Image search: [Google]
galotg.jpg
12 KB, 200x219
>>52130463
>>
>>52135437
>Yes but my point is moving away from Java, not using Forth for the sake of using Forth.
That pretty much sounds like using Forth for the sake of using Forth to me, though.

> If Google were to implement Forth drivers the hardware would of course support Forth, same with their software.
The hardware or the kernel would have a Forth interpreter or JIT compiler so you can have your processor agnostic device drivers or whatever. But they could also do this with Java. Not that there's a particular demand for Java drivers.

If you meant that they should use Forth to get machine code, what's the point then? The Linux kernel uses C already, no point in switching away from it.
>>
File: topkek02385.jpg (66 KB, 500x578) Image search: [Google]
topkek02385.jpg
66 KB, 500x578
> Dropping Java
> For an older version of Java

LAGDROID FAGS
BTFO
T
F
O

> Meanwhile: Apple is using superior Objective C and Swift (Their own great language)
It's over, Android is finished, Google is bankrupt.
>>
>>52130326
Android was built over Java and is laggy and slow as shit because everything uses it.

Jolla's Sailfish was pure Linux without Java apps slowing it down but you fucks didn't want it
>>
>>52135553
>The hardware or the kernel would have a Forth interpreter or JIT compiler so you can have your processor agnostic device drivers or whatever
Well yeah, that's what Open Firmware is for.
>But they could also do this with Java.
Yes but Java is shit.
>If you meant that they should use Forth to get machine code, what's the point then?
Try compiling a closed source ARM driver for x86, you can't without the source. Meanwhile if a closed source driver is written in Forth and compiled to fcode the manufacturer can be a dick and still have compatibility with every device that supports Forth drivers
>>
>>52135608
Fuck you I'm using jolla atm.
>>
File: 099.png (426 KB, 600x860) Image search: [Google]
099.png
426 KB, 600x860
>>52130326
>OpenJDK
>Not Java
fuck off op, nice clickbait.
>>
>>52130326
you guys should try W10M
>>
>>52135621
ABSOLUTELY FUCKING BASED

MEIN NEGGER

TORILLE NYT
>>
>switching from time-tested ENTERPRISE QUALITY software to a bunch of neckbeards' pet project

This is a good move
>>
File: Bill Gates is my waifu.jpg (23 KB, 628x418) Image search: [Google]
Bill Gates is my waifu.jpg
23 KB, 628x418
>>52135628
I have W10M on my Lumia™ 540 dual sim that I got for free with a promotion at McDonald's®
>>
>android
>2015
>not using windows phone

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>52135611
> Yes but Java is shit.
Replacing it with something far more shit and obscure however isn't a solution. Forth isn't even typed.

And anything not shit (that you can reason about at least for your code 'cause it's purely functional) is not something plebs can program.

> Meanwhile if a closed source driver is written in Forth and compiled to fcode the manufacturer can be a dick and still have compatibility with every device that supports Forth drivers
You can do literally the same with Java, so again, we're using Forth only because you dislike the actually more popular Java somehow.

However, it's not even like closed sauce driver manufacturers would write forth or Java drivers without encryption / DRM, obfuscation, license restrictions and so on more easily than they'd open sauce their drivers anyways. It's not even really a solution...
>>
>>52135608
> Android was built over Java and is laggy and slow as shit because everything uses it.
Android is not laggy and slow, and Java is fine.
>>
>>52135752
>Android is not laggy
LOL
O
L
>>
>>52135761
>>52135752
>and Java is fine
L O L
O
L
>>
>>52135515
It shouldn't do.
>>
>>52130420
>They should switch to python and include qt libraries.
This. It is the only sane option.
>>
Well, this should certainly make them immune to all of those Oracle lawsuits over Java. I have to wonder why they didn't just use openjdk in the first place.
>>
>>52132320
licensing mostly and a few proprietary thing tacked on

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22358071/differences-between-oracle-jdk-and-open-jdk-and-garbage-collection
>>
>>52130326
Learn to read you filthy nigger
>>
What's the N stand for? Niggers?
>>
>>52131232
>>52131407
>Python is worse than poo in loo language
Nice meme, Android would be faster and better if it was made in python rather than java pahjeet.
>>
>>52135651
> to a bunch of neckbeards' pet project
Clearly a correct interpretation of who runs the OpenJDK project.

>>52135761
I have an older cheap $100-ish phone, and it doesn't lag until my RAM is full or I actually use too much processing power. Android is just fine.

>>52135768
Yea, it is. A gazillion people made enterprise programs and apps of all kinds with it.

As do many of the big websites in the backend, and much of the big data / cloud stuff in general has JVM software in key parts of their infrastructure stack.
>>
>>52135925
t. OpenJDK project contributor
>>
>>52135925
If it's made by freetards and neckbeards, it's bad quality software. Java should have remained closed source because it's usually better: compare windows to linux and you'll see the difference.
>>
>>52135917
This can actually be true

>Write in Python
>Python code simply calls high performance C/Fortran libraries
>basically 0 difference in performance between direct C/Fortran implementation and Python
>>
>>52130326
>Android N will drop Java: IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING

wooohoooo no more shitty bytecode

>Google Will Replace Oracle's Java APIs With OpenJDK

oh wow how unexpected
>>
>>52135980
> compare windows to linux and you'll see the difference
Windows is increasingly a niche OS for desktop use by now.

Linux is a kernel used for everything. It runs stock markets, infrastructure, railway- and air control, the majority of personal computers and the majority of user time on such (on Android), supercomputers, all the more important smart devices (ATM, ticket machines, ...), and so on.

Most of the internet's servers are open sauce. Most of the world's programming languages have open sauce standard libraries.

Actually, open source is basically just winning for anything big and important and international.
>>
>>52136087
>Linux is a kernel used for everything. It runs stock markets, infrastructure, railway- and air control, the majority of personal computers and the majority of user time on such (on Android), supercomputers, all the more important smart devices (ATM, ticket machines, ...), and so on.
Yet neckbeards love it with their shitty arch installed and riced with degenerate anime, so I have to question the quality of linux.
>>
>>52136087

>windows is niche

HAHAHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52136125
People rice everything else too, so whatever?

More people use just the defaults anyways.

Besides, I'm not saying that the GNU kind of Linux is a popular desktop OS, or will be. It's really almost certain that overall population will continue to use Android most.
>>
>>52136174
>People rice everything else too, so whatever?
Go check out the desktop threads if you don't see what I'm talking about, It's full of tripfags, trannies, and animefag degenerates.
>>
Oh shit it's happening
>>
>>52136168
Where else but desktop OS usage is it still dominant?

And desktop OS usage is not approximately equal to personal computing in general anymore. Personal computing is now mostly mobile; in terms of user time (how long humans spend using it) and user base (how many different humans use it), Android easily beats Windows now.
>>
>>52136184
Go check out mobile phone threads and you'll see people are still the same.

Protip: This is 4chan, not Facebook or whatever.
>>
>>52136227
>he doesn't know that windows servers are getting a bigger market share every year.
Not every one needs to run a server for services as big as facebook, google, etc.
>>
>>52130377
this kek
>>
>>52136260
Lel, what? No, they're not getting a bigger market share.

Linux is the OS of choice cloud computing instances and most virtual servers (the small scale deployments) run on.

Let's look at the Alexa ranking top million of web pages to see this trend. No, not the entire million is all big sites:
http://www.w3cook.com/os/summary/

Same trend on the smaller servers too, even the not web-based ones (guess what OS a typical NAS appliance runs, or some wlan ap/router/dhcp server etc. device?)
>>
>>52136372
I could link you w3techs which last time I checked reported about 33% market share...
>>
>>52130510
>php
what board am I on are you guys retarded or what
>>
>>52136408
http://w3techs.com/technologies/cross/web_server/operating_system

http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/web_server/all

They now have like 20% tops on the 10 million top Alexa sites + extras they crawl.
>>
>>52136498
>linking the wrong link
I was not talking about the web server program, but about the OS.
http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
>>
>>52133154
Android uses Java 6 with some support for Java 7. I'm hoping this change lets us finally use Java 8.
>>
>>52135593
im using swift at work right now and it'd be great if apple cared to rewrite their standard libs in swift and include swift runtime in iOS. Right now you get horrible code lookup times in xCode cuz it needs to ,,translate'' it from objC and swift runtime needs to be included in very app artifically increasing the app size.
>>
>>52136047
>write in java
>let the program run for 3 minutes so the jit does its work
>same speed as C

It also runs on everything and is easy to debug.
>>
>it still uses java
depressing.
Xamarin was a sparkle of hope but the jew is strong in that one, the liberator turned into just another slaver albeit with comfier quarters.
>>
>>52130326
I wish Google had bought Qt when Nokia sold them off. Then changed Android to C++/Qt. It would have been fucking amazing.
>>
>>52135904
Nougat
>>
>>52137786
>>52137786
what would be amazing exactly, like tell me what would be done better. Le meme arguement that le java is bad does not apply. I work as a mobile dev and android apps are comfy to make and material design is pretty smooth.
>>
>>52135904

Nutella
>>
>>52135593
Where were you when apple revolutionized programming? There is no reason to learn outdated languages languages like C or assembly when we have swift.
>>
>>52137643
>java
>same speed as C
topkek

inb4
>muh synthetic benchmark
>>
>>52138369
k go write your 5% faster dildo microcontrollers and stick them up your arse, I need to deliver actual big products that need to be reliable.
>>
File: stay_mad.gif (28 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
stay_mad.gif
28 KB, 300x198
>>52138438
>>
>>52138369
C and Java are completely worthless, learn swift.
>>
Reminder it will be based on openJDK 7
that means it is still shit, no new features like lambdas, etc
>>
>>52138519
couldn't you just implement lambdas yourself lol
>>
>>52138575
Not without creating a massive overhead
>>
>>52131287
>GNU

Nice meme.
>>
>>52138575
Just use Scala until they upgrade to version 8.
>>
>>52138795
>>52138519
>>52138575
Hey I was just baitfishing, I don't know shit about programming.
>>
File: .png (152 KB, 359x414) Image search: [Google]
.png
152 KB, 359x414
Reasons stopping you from using Android NDK:
>>
>>52138919
How's debugging on it now?
>>
>>52130326
You can't even fucking read...
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.