[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hosting for Wordpress-based site?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: wordpress.png (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wordpress.png
18 KB, 500x500
Any suggestions of host? I don't trust 'reviews' and 'comparisons' from various technology websites which are immediately followed by referral links.
>>
wordpress.com? They host blogs for free.
>>
>>52129476
Yeah but wordpress.com is inflexible. I'm doing this shit properly.
>>
>>52129500
Shameless shill of a friend's hosting: voltihost
Wordpress official site recommends: bluehost
>>
>>52129500
If you want to do it properly don't use wordpress.
>>
digitalocean.com

They have lots of tutorials.

Rent a server, buy a domain, install wordpress, configure apache to serve wordpress.
>>
>>52129625
Allegedly this has 1-click wordpress install already: https://www.digitalocean.com/features/one-click-apps/wordpress/

So that's good.
>>
Still going to wait for more suggestions before I leap on anything.
>>
Buy your own server and host from your house.
>>
File: 6990878-3x2-340x227.jpg (11 KB, 340x227) Image search: [Google]
6990878-3x2-340x227.jpg
11 KB, 340x227
>>52129318
Actual goy here

Just spin up a bitnami wordpress instance from the amazon AMI market. Why would you ever not go with Amazon AWS unless you suck dicks?
>>
File: 1393201764141.gif (2 MB, 260x225) Image search: [Google]
1393201764141.gif
2 MB, 260x225
>>52129556
this desu
>>
>>52129848
I'm just gonna go ahead and set your expectations a little.

Wordpress is a very poor set of software. It requires a lot of memory, it loads slowly, it's a big target for 0-day exploits, there's a lot of bad ways to implement any given feature.

So when you rent your server don't go with the lowest RAM option, the database will crash and burn if you have any realistic traffic.
>>
>>52129871
The copper cables here aren't good enough to support that.

>>52129928
If I could get a specific number on how much RAM I should get, that'd be nice.
>>
>>52129951
depends on your usage. How many estimated visitors/month and how many at the same time. Also depends on which and how many (horribly unoptimized) memepress plugins you install
>>
>>52129318
>not using a static site generator for his blac
>he needs dynamic data and database for this CMS blog

BLOAT
>>
>Deploys Wordpress
>Gf asks him to have a few beers
>Gets progressively more drunk
>Parties all night
>Wakes up and realises he slept in
>Hasn't upgraded Wordpress plugins for 12 hours
>Website is replaced with a goatse image
>People stop buying from business
>Business goes broke
>Living on the streets
>Wordpress
>>
>>52129928
>>52129556
Depends.

I do a blog which I post my professional content and portfolio on to help with my social media presence. I know i know, but it's gotten me a lot of jobs and contract work, so it's worth it.

It itches knowing I didn't just write the blog myself, but then when I'm sitting there doing shit in WP and it's all just there for me, the gallery plugins, the drafting system etc, it was worth it.

Not that I'm saying I can't write a gallery or draft auto-saving, just saying that's handy to have it built in and ready to go from the start.
>>
>>52129985
I'm not a pluginaholic, and for now I don't expect many vistors a month.

Visitors is scalable from 0 to infinity. RAM is a minimum requirement.
>>
>>52129318
I use google domains, and go daddy for hosting.

had my site up for a year. its fun.
>>
>>52129875

Hey man I suck dicks and I use AWS.
>>
>>52130064
I've only heard bad things about godaddy.
>>
No seriously why would I use go daddy?
>>
>>52129318
I use DigitalOcean to host a wordpress site.

Ezpz lemon sqeazy to set up, and you can work off the cheapest plan available.
>>
>>52131595
So 512mb ram is sufficient?
>>
>>52131698
Starting out yes. Just buy more ram.
>>
>>52131719
Neato. Just need a suitable domain registrar now since DigitalOcean don't do it.
>>
>>52130039
While Wordpress is not my favorite platform I must admit setting up galleries and blogs is super easy, almost ridiculously easy. Also it might be your only choice if a client wants a site that they can edit themselves.

For everything else I spend more time pulling out my hair trying to figure out how to do things the "Wordpress way" when I could have written a few lines of code and be done.
>>
>>52131698
I use DO too and find when I run Wordpress in low memory like that I have issues with the database and need to restart services often. However if run everything inside of Docker containers I don't have any issues.
>>
>>52129655
The large majority of decent web hosts have 1-click wordpress install..
>>
>>52132038
Yes. Them lacking it would be a red flag. That's why I took note of it.
>>
Put it on aws. Also, don't use wordpress, is shithouse.
>>
>>52131813
Namecheap, done :)
>>
>>52129875
> Amazon AWS
> Amazon Amazon Web Services
>>
>>52129556
>If you want to do it properly don't use wordpress.

We use Wordpress at work because it can be set up and running in minutes, and very often we can find pre-made plugins for some crap we need (like Multilanguage, webshop, paypal, etc).

If it weren't for that, I'd write my own system. But I don't mind using WP, I basically treat it as a backbone that already has basic shit set up (an admin screen, handles multiple users, permalinks built in, etc), so I can start writing templates immediately, instead of dicking around with the backend first.

Did some pretty neat user-side login/registration/profile systems on it before. There's a plugin for that too, but we needed some very specific options, so had to write the entire registration system by hand. It was good practice.
>>
File: 1451155249702.jpg (21 KB, 212x212) Image search: [Google]
1451155249702.jpg
21 KB, 212x212
>>52130030
so fucking accurate. i just quit a job working at a big company where all i did was fixed assholes broken ass / hacked wp sites.
>>
>>52130030
kek
>>
>>52132132
>fixed assholes broken ass / hacked wp sites.
how did you do it? i can't find any other solution for hacked wp sites other than installing them all over again on a new server.
>>
>>52130030
But seriously, ya gotta stay on top of Wordpress updates, as well as your plugins' updates. There's so much Wordpress-based malware out there, you really have no other choice.
>>
File: 1451330780957.gif (453 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1451330780957.gif
453 KB, 210x210
>>52132241
>check dns
>disable plugins and themes via phpmyadmin
>fix connection string shit
>remove malicious looking shit
>replace core files
>unfuck and refuck database
>tell them i'm out of scope and can't do shit else
>try to unsee the goatse
>quit on christmas day 1 hour before my shift
>etc
>>
>>52132278
do you also try to decode those base64 encoded malicious strings to see what damage they might be doing?
>>
>>52132132
Why does WordPress have so much malware and vulnerabilities?
>>
>>52132328
>do you
nigger i quit on christmas day did you read my shit

>>52132362
because its a piece of shit platform that fucking sucks - that's why. like a third of the internet is wp.
>>
>>52132410
sorry i meant did you before...
but anyway
>>
>>52132362

See >>52132410 , but also note that he has it backwards.

>because its a piece of shit platform that fucking sucks - that's why. like a third of the internet is wp.

Wordpress doesn't have vulnerabilities and a third of the internet using it because it sucks; it has vulnerabilities because a third of the internet uses it.

It's the same reason that most malware targets Windows and not linux. Most malware writers are aiming at the biggest target.
>>
>>52129318
I run a VPS in germany with 1gbs connection.

I could set you up a cPanel for a fair price depending on how much hard disk you need.
>>
>>52132687
and most of those Wordpress installs were probably setup by somebody who does not know what they're doing. All of the Wordpress people I've worked with recently don't know their head from their ass about server setup and security.
>>
https://lithiumhosting.com/
>>
>>52133508
I have a wordpress site and dont know what Im doing.

I did make a cool theme though. Hacks when?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.