[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw too dumb to install Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: 1424991401624s.jpg (7 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1424991401624s.jpg
7 KB, 240x232
>tfw too dumb to install Linux
>>
If you can't install it then it's of no use to you anyway. Just stick to whatever you're using now.
>>
File: 1439857074834.gif (3 KB, 100x68) Image search: [Google]
1439857074834.gif
3 KB, 100x68
>>52128755
>>
>>52128755
Hello Stallman.
>>
>>52128755
here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PUd0SBU9Q
It's the same for the flavors and linux mint.
>>
>>52128866
>mfw too stupid to follow such instructions
>>
>>52128861
Spits green tea all over public-hair-infested keyboard.
>>
I've got to give ubuntu a lot of credit, it's very easy to install these days. If only the wifi adapter drivers weren't such shit.
>>
>>52128755
You're not missing anything.
>>
>>52128878
try on a virtual machine if it scares you at first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4Kh5kE3xA
>>
File: 1420604590759.gif (31 KB, 658x634) Image search: [Google]
1420604590759.gif
31 KB, 658x634
>>52128755
>tfw want to install Mint on a spare laptop
>tfw don't know what I would use it for
>>
>>52128896
what wiffi adapter is giving you problems? the only ones i know that needs proprietary modules are the broadcom ones. do you have the link to the bug report by any chance?
>>
>>52128755
>tfw too smart to install linux

feels good desu
>>
>>52128932
Mostly the same than with windows unless you definitely need an windows-only program that doesn't works with wine like autodesk inventor or DX11 games (wine support for DX11 is coming though). I use linux for everything else and i don't buy games without linux support anyway, you should just try it for the sake if seeing if you like it, one size doesn't fit everyone after all.
>>
What distro were you trying to install?
Since you couldn't figure it out, I'm just going to tell you how to install good ol' Ubuntu.

**STEP 1**
Grab yourself a USB stick and install (on Windows) a software called Rufus. Use Rufus to burn the ISO onto the stick.

**STEP 2**
After it's burned, turn off your computer and boot into your BIOS settings. (This usually invloves pressing a button during boot, go look online for your system's button). Find the tab that allows you to override the boot, and boot into your USB.

**STEP 3**
After it's loaded, start the installation. Input the information until you get to where you need to set the partitions.
I'm assuming you don't want to delete your windows, so use the "Something Else" option.
Resize your Windows partition (IF YOU HAVE NO SPACE. IF YOUR DRIVE HAS EXTRA SPACE, USE THIS) to a good amount. Use this extra space as an EXT4 file system.
Resize that partition, taking off at least 4 gigs.
Use the new 4 gigs of space as a SWAP partition.
Accept the shit.
Input any extra information as requested.

**STEP 4**
Enjoy your new Linux system.

Hopefully my dumbass didn't miss anything.
>>
>>52129036
Not OP but I used to fully install Linux 3 years ago and I lost all my data. I only have one HDD and I partitioned it into 2 (System and Data).
Is there a way to make Linux installed on the System partition to overwrite Windows without having to delete the Data partition?
I wanna try installing Linux but I'm scared I lost all my data like 3 years ago.
>>
>>52129186
You say that you have two partitions, System and Data, correct?
I personally would reccomed putting the data from Data onto an external device (SD, USB, etc), but if you can't do that...

**Try this:**
Install the Linux into the System partition. After you do that, mount the Data partition (usually just by clicking on it in your file system viewer) and move the data to your files (as if you were just moving data between directories). I never had to deal with your predicament, so I'm not sure how well it will work.
>>
>>52129331
Well I can move my Data to my ext HDD (my Data is just 320gb, while my ext HDD is 4tb) but I want to instal linux without moving my Data to another HDD.

Is there a way to install Linux into JUST the System partition? If I remember correctly 3 years agp, I tried to install Linux from boot USB (like doing fresh install with Windows via USB) but then it just automatically install Linux and delete all my internal HDD partition
>>
File: ubuntu_best_buy_bag.jpg (265 KB, 920x955) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu_best_buy_bag.jpg
265 KB, 920x955
>>
>>52129036
> /g/ actually being helpful and friendly to newbs
:^)
>>
>>52129388
Well, the specific way depends on your distro.
Usually, while installing, it gives you the option of picking your own partitions (just look around for it). Just install the OS on your SYSTEM partition. If you do this, the entirety of DATA won't be touched. Then, if you want to access DATA, you can just mount it within your Linux.
>>
>>52129414
I actually not only enjoy, but encourage helping noobs.
It helps create a new generation of /g/entleman.
:D
>>
File: HDD.png (6 KB, 943x71) Image search: [Google]
HDD.png
6 KB, 943x71
>>52129445
Here's an image to make it clear.
C and D is from one internal HDD in my laptop while E is an external HDD. I just want to do a fresh install of Linux on my C HDD without erasing the partition on D
I'm thinking of trying Debian for stater since my laptop is pretty standard and Windows 10 is kind of heavy after few updates. Do you have any suggestion for which distro should I try first? I went to friendly linux thread and decided I should try debian first.
>>52129414
I came from /a/. I just want to watch animu without NSA watching on me.
>>
>New laptop
>Decide to get linux
>Install xubuntu along with youtube instructions
>No additional drivers needed to be installed
>Use 700 mb ram on average

so comfy desu senpai
>>
>>52129401
Someone actually payed money for free OS.

Also, back in 2006 Ubuntu mailed you free install discs, completely free of charge, you just had to state why you request a copy and how many do you want.

>be 14
>requested 6 install discs
>said I need it for school
>I never actually used any of them
>mfw I just ordered because it was free
>mfw I played frisbee with them a couple years later
>>
>>52129472
Ahhh okay. Yeah.
Since you seem quite new at this, I wouldn't recommend using Debian. I would recommend using Ubuntu. It's built off of Debian, and it's more user friendly. (The installation also looks better and is easier).

**AAANYWAAAY**
Just manually edit your partitions during installation (It's the "Something Else" option in Ubuntu) and install it into SYSTEM as a EXT4 file system. Doing so shouldn't affect DATA in the slightest.
>>
>>52129555
Thanks, Rajesh.
>>
>>52129555
So Ubuntu first? I heard it's amazon bloated or something that's why I think Debian should be the 2nd next option.
Okay will try it tomorrow. Thanks.
>>
>>52129571
No problem.
Happy hunting m8.
>>
>>52129472
I'm sure the NSA opted out of tracking you once they found out you watch anime. You're harmless to them.
>>
>>52129604
The great thing about Linux is bloatware can be removed by installing it.
Even if it is full of bloatware (which it isn't really that bad and it's easy to remove), it's stil much more user friendly. I'd recommend using it until you learn the ropes.
Good luck
>>
>>52129640
Well I want to switch to Ubuntu because it maybe faster than Windows 10 on my laptop. It's pretty crappy i3 + 2GB RAM and since I'm just using it to watch animu might as well switch to Ubuntu
>>52129674
Is LinuxMINT or UbuntuMATE a good alternative to the standard Ubuntu? I know I'm new to this but I like less bloatware on fresh install as possible.
>>
>>52129698

how new is the i3? Id advise against mint if its newer, the later kernels have good optimistation for newer hardware, which is what you want if the machine is low spec.

to be honest, there really isnt much wrong with unity, it works like all the other desktops. The Hud menu is a little useless but the window management and desktop are fine like all other desktop environments.
>>
>>52129698
I've heard good things about Mint, and I haven't used Mate. I'm pretty sure Mate is just a branch distro that uses a different GNOME desktop environment because they didn't like the way the project was going.

Sooo, out of the two... Mint. I guess.

If you want the least amount of bloatware as possible, use Lubuntu. It's specifically made to have the least amount of stuff necessary. The only bad thing is that it's default desktop environment looks like total shit.
>>
A beginner shouldn't be installing operating systems. Go to a usergroup and find someone who loves installing the system to help people.
>>
>>52129797

Mate feels like its holding on to dead code for no good reason.

If you are going to go mint, use cinnamon. it has a bar just like windows and the libs are up to date. its not trying to hold on to desktops of yesteryear.
>>
>>52129843
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>52129788
I've i3-3217U 1.8GHz. So you suggest I grab MATE because of my i3? I bought it last year since I'm moving out for college overseas
>>52129797
So Mint? I'm really new to installing Linux and I'm pretty much just want it to watch animu
>>52129826
Well I did lots of reinstall of my friend's PC and laptop since 2009 but it's all Windows so Linux is a pretty new environment for me. I'm thinking to switching to Linux because Windows 10 is getting too heavy for my laptop to handle.
>>52129843
I guess I'll try Mint Cinnamon.
>>
>>52129869
Good deal. Glad we could be of service.
FYI- If you're going to switch to Linux, I'd get at least a little familiar with it's terminal commands and file system.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, my friend.
>>
>>52128755
It's literally burn a CD/download Unetbootin, reboot, roll head on keyboard, then follow prompts
>>
>>52129869
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
>>
>>52129919
Thanks you for helping me and all the anon
I just hope I don't delete my DATA partition when installing Mint
>>
>>52129869

hmm, a 3000 series..

I have a 3000 series i5 laptop, and the latest kernel Ubuntu uses (4.2) has a sightly noticeable improvement over the one mate currently ships with (3.19) especially because it has intel graphics.

But mint cinnamon should be okay. My dislike of mint comes from the 12-14 days where they had no idea what to do with their default desktop and caused a huge config mess.
>>
>>52129946
As long as you don't set anything to be installed, overwritten, or formatted onto the DATA partition then you'll be fine.
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>52129960
My GPU is Radeon 8530M. I don't play vidya as much as I used to but I just hope that MPV can use the hardware to make my animu better with placeboo effect
>>52129978
Yeah I'll be careful this time around as to not delete my DATA partition
>>
>>52128755
No such thing.

Just download a Fedora or Ubuntu live cd and follow instructions off the internet. The installers are both intuitive and easy to operate.

Personally I like Fedora. Been using it since I was nine.

> Not smart enough to run linux means dumber than a nine-year-old
>>
Linus what are you doing on /g/
>>
>>52130001
It's really not /that/ hard, it just takes a couple days.
>>
>>52128755
It installs itself you frogposter piece of shit. Fuck you.
>>
>>52128878
>can't even install GNU+Linux
>>52128902
>just use a virtual machine!
>>
>>52130113
It's hard because there is no handholding, just like with Arch or many other distros.
Fucked up somewhere? Better know what to do. You don't? Have fun starting from scratch.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1650x1232) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1650x1232
>tfw too smart to install Linux
>>
Let’s cut to the chase, ma – There’s a reason that rubbers exist/
And I’m another son of a bitch that’s hunting for kicks/
The fun of it is, wouldn’t you rather have somebody sucking your clit/
Then to be stuck in this shit-hole of a disco?/
Let’s go bake a naked pretzel, Pet Tone’s snake and make it spit all over your lips
The width of my dick is so thick, it won’t fit in the midst of a ship’s haul/
Did you call me chauvinist? All because I just wanna be blown and kissed/
Lick your slit and just make you moan in bliss, Stick my dick in your kizzle-hole and jizz/
You know what your motive is, otherwise, you would’ve stayed home and shit/
Roll with it, my hope is this… we fuck and your homegirl’s next/
Only smoking chicks apply to ride T/
And no little bitches get by me, cause I check ID,
Kindly, step away from the cock if you ain’t got the jist to freak/
Gimme your heiney – it’ll fit – you’ll see!/I’m a pervert and your Ms. Discrete/
Leaving a bitch with more glistening shit on her neck than Mr. T/
Skillfully spread the legs she’s wet between, I’m thrilled to eat! Pussy’s a delicacy/
I’m getting obscene, but I can’t think of another way to be letting off steam/
Unless you let me get a pet in your jeans/
I’m stretching the seams with my hands in abandon/ feeling titties in tandom But I can’t stand to
Take it anymore, I got plans to act, a true pervert will fuck you till you’re handicapped/
And so, gimme your number, nah, fuck it, gimme a hummer..
Shimmy your bum around her mug and then cum to gimme the thunder/
Stick it up under your G-Spot, and rock on/
Then peep the replay at ‘Shhhhh! Iwonttellnobody.dot.com
>>
>>52131289
Or read the fucking manual?
If you can't do that don't even bother using your computer for anything but facebook and 4chan.
>>
>>52131340
wrong board?
>>
>>52131391
Is this /s/?
>>
>>52128755
Literally dumb frogposter
>>
Too dumb to install Gentoo (and maybe Arch)? Okay.
But let's hope you aren't too dumb to install Ubuntu, Fedora, or something of the like. If you are, you're a fucking idiot and your IQ is, at most, 60.
>>
>>52129401
>ubuntu
>free of spyware
lol
>>
>>52128755
Jesus fucking Christ, what's with all the dumb frogposters on here tonight? Is /b/ down or something and these retards are all coming here instead?
>>
>>52132026
I don't know. It's pretty intolerable though - they're even shitting up the 31C3 threads.
>>
>>52128878
>>52128755
STOP TROLLING U FAKING FAGGOT
THERE NO WAY you CAN BE SUCH STUPID TOBE UNABLE TO inTALL LEENIKS
>>
>>52129388
>but I want to instal linux without moving my Data to another HDD.

It's always stupid to make huge installs without backing up your data.
>>
>>52128755
>he can't even install *buntu
Leave this board
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.