[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cs dweebs on suicide watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: images.duckduckgo.com(9).jpg (226 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(9).jpg
226 KB, 630x421
>he isn't majoring in information systems
>>
Every IS major I've ever met has been kinda dumb
>>
Every IS major I've ever met has been kinda dumb
>>
>>52129128
>>52129141
Samefag
>>
>>52128565
posting in a bait thread
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
Heh, IT major/ bus minor here consulting at $50/hr (not salaried). Im much more competent a programmer too, compared to many of the CS students in my courses.
>>
>>52128565
everyone I know whose IS was cs before they realized they had to take calc 1/2 xD
>>
>>52129614
hey linus torvalds here,
IT majors are cucks and I go around fucking your wife every night
>>
>CS, IS, IT

What difference does it make?
You were all too stupid to go EE/CE.
>>
File: 1417105934718.jpg (317 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1417105934718.jpg
317 KB, 1200x900
>>52129647
EE
>embedded systems
>circuits all day erry day

CE
>as competent as CS
>only takes to CompSci II

The real master race is Software Engineering because if most schools are anything like mine it's all the application of CS, but instead of upperend theory classes you can take stuff like information assurance and network security, and it even ventures into IT/IS territory with quality assurance classes.
>>
>>52129647
yeah lets all be EE major when EE job market has 0 growth as well. :^)
>>
>>52129635
You have to take cal 1/2 for IS dumbass.
>>
>>52129647
CS is mathematics. IS and IT are about IT.
>>
>>52129852
Not him, but is calc the extent of IS math? I could see some people dropping CS so they don't have to take LinAl or Discrete II.
>>
>>52129802
SE is a worthless meme for fags
>>
>>52128565
>Letting your major determine your career
One of the top coders I hired right out of school has a degree in Linguistics
>>
>>52129900
Whatever man. All I know is that I want to work with computer networks for a living, and SE is the only major where I can take 20 hours specifically about network security and design, information assurance, software security etc.

Have fun falling asleep in compiler theory.
>>
>>52129568
Can someone please cumshop?
>>
>Major in IS
>Companies all want me to do software development
pls stop, I would have been a CS pleb if I wanted to do that ;_;
>>
>>52129900
SE is much more practical for work, but CS won't leave you in the dust when new languages take hold.
> IT
I had an IT major housemate who didn't know how to do anything but his classwork and "Austrian Economics". I had to help him port forward on our router.
>>
i just hope i can get a job nearby that isn't shitty local gov't crap that's boring enough to kill you

but i won't be able to because my town sucks and is boring as fuck

i feel like i haven't learned jack shit even if i have graduated; every day i just feel like i get dumber and dumber or i realize just how fucking stupid i am compared to some of my peers

it's a wonder at all that i passed in the time that i did
>>
>>52129900
SE is for programmers who have starting salaries of 80k.
>>
>>52129955
Don't your IT courses teach networking? What kind of IT course exists where networking is not considered IT?
>>
>>52129881
When I did IT the highest math I had to take was precalc and stats, though if I wanted I could have just done another class that's similar to precalc + algebra
>>
>>52128565
>muh relational databases
>>
>>52130038
I like math too much to want to get an IT degree.
>why not double major
I have to get done with school fast due to financial reasons, so I only get to take math if it's part of my degree
>>
>>52129955
SE here.
I had compiler theory (as an elective) and nothing about networking (except basic low-level stuff and how to keep shit synchronized)
>>
>information systems
t. Pajeet Sanjeep Srvidiapranveer
>>
>>52129881
Yes. Calculus is all. Lots of business statistics tho.

Honestly if you do internships and network right CS, IT, and IS are all equal
>>
>>52130108
I guess it's very dependent on your school because I'll eventually take
Database Systems 3hrs
Computer Networks 3hrs
Computer and Network Security 3hrs
Networking Laboratory 3hrs
Data and Applications Security 3hrs
Digital Forensics 3hrs
>>
>>52130136
There were literally 2 Indians in my IS program, both of them had lived in America their entire lives. CS is where all the smelly Indians go.
>>
>>52129881
My course is an ABET certified IT program that makes us take calc 1/2 and discrete 1/2, and stat

Same is true for CS w the addition of calc 3 and lin alg
>>
>>52130188
sounds boring, take computer architecture
>>
>>52130278
I take all of that in addition to computer architecture
>>
>>52130213
>mfw my university's IT program only requires "Applied Calculus I" which is calc for those who didn't want to take calc.
>>
File: 1438493704011.jpg (24 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1438493704011.jpg
24 KB, 320x240
>>52130311
>mfw I forget my face
>>
>>52130311
Wow, might as well go to one of those shitty bootcamps.
>>
>>52130340
That's what happens when your school doesn't get ABET accredited for some majors
>>
>>52130311
>mine required just precalc and stats or "applied algebra"
>>
>>52130311
Mwf when the extra math really is what scared me out of CS, but job prospects with IT have been very good for me.

According the bureau of labor statistics, programming jobs are actually on the decline, projected to shrink 8% over the next 10 years, so all in all i aint mad.

Still a decent c++ and python programmer, also have sql experience. Cant imagine needing much more in IT.
>>
>>52130449
I'm doing IS while learning Python and C++ on the side and also doing security specific certs.

I'm a 2 year junior and already have connections to two different companies.

Feels good man.
>>
File: 1372249194397.jpg (51 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1372249194397.jpg
51 KB, 500x400
>>52130536
Thats a nice path to be on, info sec stuff scares me as far as crypto math goes. Im hoping to eventually work my way into management (ergo the business minor alongside the IT)

The feels are indeed good. Pic very, very related
>>
>>52130581
Well lots of system admins move to security analysts so I might go that right. Really you don't need to know that much crypto. Just get a few security focused certs and have a bit of experience and you're good.

Feels especially good when you have connections to companies that are really good. I got lucky because my dad was friends with the CEO of a large power company and so I interned and they loved me. They wanted to hire me straight out of high school but I wanted to go to college.
>>
>>52130618
Thats impressive, ill need to look into the sec certs if you say they arent all that math heavy
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.