[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hard Drive Cloning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: clone.jpg (16 KB, 200x301) Image search: [Google]
clone.jpg
16 KB, 200x301
Hey /g/ what's your preferred method for cloning a hard drive?

My situation: I have win 8.1 on my 60gb ssd and I want to clone it over to a new 256gb ssd that I bought. I have a usb transfer kit and all of that.

I want to put my main partition on a bigger drive so it's easier to deal with and so I have the extra capacity to dual boot loonix. What's the best software/method to clone the drive with?
>>
>>52127976
Clonezilla and Acronis.
>>
i like to use hardware cloners. they tend to be faster than software.
>>
I tried 5 or 6 different cloning software and non of them worked so good luck.
>>
>>52128149
i'm telling you. hardware cloning devices. you can get them cheap online. this shit is fast.
>>
>>52127976
intel-drive-cloner
>>
G>>52127976

Go torrent acronis true image

Literally works every time for me
>>
Wonder who put a HDD in my laptop. Also wonder how my laptop chanaged from a latitude to that.
>>
>>52128174

Definitely noted for next time.
>>
>>52128192

>2016 -3 days
>Trying to force a meme
>>
>>52127976
gparted
"It just werks."
Memes aside, I've used it every time I've needed to clone a partition. Acronis is ok but doesn't care for doing quite a few different operations at once. Clonezilla works well the few times I've used it.
>>
Why do you want to preserve win8?
>>
Wonder who put a HDD in my laptop. Also wonder how my laptop chanaged from a latitude to that.
>>
>>52128211
keep in mind that hardware cloners are for exact duplication only. at least, last time i checked. software gives you a bit of flexibility in what can get copied over. if you want an exact clone, go with hardware. also, hardware cloners, just like software, would not need two exact drives. the destination drive may be the same size or larger.
>>
>>52127976
minitool partition wizard
>>
OP here.

>>52128240
Because win 9 is a botnet. I could revert to win 7 but the loss in support and critical updates is a turn off. I use it for gaymen and video/audio software.

>>52128057
>>52128174
>>52128237
Okay I'm looking into all of this, thank you /g/ents.
>>
>>52128363

Win 8 is also a botnet.
>>
>>52127976
I'm using a Linux live and ddrescue (or dd, werks too, I just kinda like ddrescue's resume support).
>>
>>52128057
>>52128174
Umm, i've used clonezilla and it managed to saturate HDD every single time. Hardware cloner won't be any faster than that, it will be the same.
>>
>all these winfags suggesting the equivalent of "hard drive double cloner v2.2.1.3 free trial.exe.wmv.exe"

Seriously we should block windows user agents on this board

Just plug them both in and
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1
>>
I just have my server backup everything regularly.

I've never seen a reason to completely clone.
>>
Dd and parted, you dips
>>
>>52128581
this here!
Forget your winpwns.
Dont have to install Linux, just run a live distro off a usb stick or dvd to do it.
>>
>>52127976
dd
>>
>>52128501
>>52128581
What if the two hard drives are different sizes? dd by itself won't create a partition(s) which span the HDD the same way.
>>
File: 1444427460116.jpg (77 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1444427460116.jpg
77 KB, 768x1024
>>52127976
I use Clonezilla. It can get stuck if the drive has bad sectors, though.
>>
dd

dumbass.
>>
>>52129838
resize after
same as other "cloning tools"
>>
just make the partition and click and drag senpai
>>
When you do this, can you just boot from the new hard drive and everything will run normally? How hard is this shit?
>>
>>52129774
>>52129894
/thread
>>
File: 1449990684270.jpg (43 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1449990684270.jpg
43 KB, 720x720
Copy and paste!
>>
>>52127976
copy and paste
>>
>>52127976
The only reason you would have to clone your hard disk is if you're using some shitty OS that doesn't give enough control to copy everything normally.
>>
>>52127976
rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} /* /path/to/backup/folder
>>
>>52130185
says /path/to/backup/folder does not exist
>>
>>52130185
> rsync -avr
>>
>>52130202
try /dev/null
sorry i wasnt more through
>>
>>52130224
nothing happened?
>>
>>52129838
if the destination drive is larger, a hardware cloner would just leave the rest of the space blank.
>>
>>52128534
CloneZilla is GOAT if you can use it. Otherwise:

dd </dev/sd? >/dev/sd??

for attached drives or

pv </dev/sd? >/dev/sd??

if pv is available. Saturate that shit and walk away.
>>
macrium reflect might be worth a try. i have seen it work flawlessly for other people. just it never works for me. i had a friend who swears by it, watch while i use it. still fails even after he says i'm doing everything right. he then hops on the same machine, did every step i did, then it decides to work.
>>
>>52130548
> CloneZilla is GOAT if you can use it. Otherwise
What's so hard about Clonezilla? If you don't know how to sue it it has nice automagical creator, with descriptions and warnings, so it's hard to fuckup.
Using DD and othr raw tools on the other hand allows you to fuck up pretty quickly and easilly.
>>
>>52128581
If you dd a 500 GB onto a 1 TB with no file system would 500 GB be a clone of the other drive and the other 500 be raw space still able to format?
>>
>>52130606
Nothing hard but it is not a native utility like dd or a very small utility like pv; it is an entire live Linux distro. If you just need to clone a disk, why bother with all that?

Also
>fuck up pretty quickly and easily

Do you not know the difference between input and output?

>>52130689
500 GB will be completely untouched. dd is block-level utility, so it is an EXACT clone down to the 1s and 0s. Nearly every file-system supports online resizing to _grow_ the FS these days though so you can either add partitions or grow what you have to span the rest in a matter of seconds
>>
>>52130689
Yes.
You could later on expand your 500GB volume to fill whole drive, or make another partition. (ofc, we're talking about msdos partition table disks)

>>52130727
>Do you not know the difference between input and output?
I know, but many people don't....

>Nothing hard but it is not a native utility like dd or a very small utility like pv; it is an entire live Linux distro. If you just need to clone a disk, why bother with all that?
Well yeah, however these days, and with Clonezilla's ISO around 250MB and cheap flashdrives..

I haven't had a single accident with dd, but seen it happen a few times before my eyes.
>>
>>52130806
People gotta learn, man. Those tools will only kick your ass if you are using them as root, and then typing in commands and firing them off, especially when you know they overwrite destructively, without thought is a terrible habit to get into.

These are the same people firing off:

rm -rf / my_directory/

and wondering how their shit got nuked. This famously happened with a graphics driver if I remember right removing "/ var/.../.../" instead of "/var/.../.../".

What bothers me more is these are people not learning some of the capabilities of what is right in front of them, things that are fundamental like redirection and how /dev/ files work for disks.

Hell, you don't even need pv or even dd; most of the time, you can use cat or cp, two Unix tools that have been around forever:

cat /dev/sda > /dev/sdb
cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will work in almost all cases. Same people don't know that:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
dd </dev/sda >/dev/sdb
</dev/sda dd >/dev/sdb
>/dev/sdb dd </dev/sda

are all the same thing, because the same people will never crack open the man pages and actually learn anything. They just want answers and GUIs for everything.
>>
>>52130806
So in theory let's say you dd a 500 GB file system that can't expand. You then format the remaining 500 GB to ext4 and then copy the files on the first partition to the ext4. Then delete the first partition and expand the ext4 to take up the whole 1 TB
>>
>>52131100
>People gotta learn, man.
I had that attitude some time ago, when i was "young and stupid". Unfortunatelly people don't want to learn, and some things which should be taught at school aren't...

>>52131110
Nah, you dd from 500GB drive to 1TB drive. Then you expand 500GB partition on 1TB to fill 1TB.
>>
>>52127976
dd
>>
>>52131110
You can absolutely do this, and here would be my approach:

# copy with progress meter
pv </dev/sda >/dev/sdb

# wait until finished and then
sync; sync; sync

# to flush buffers thoroughly
# then resize partition
fdisk /dev/sdb
... follow prompts to grow to full size

# then resize fs
resize2fs /dev/sdb1

done. Do whatever you want with the first disk. If you want to get serious with juggling file-system shit around, you should start looking into LVM / ZFS / BtrFS and their capabilities too.
>>
>>52131165
Yeah but what if the 500 GB file system wasn't able to expand?
I get that you would expand it for other file systems but what about ones that don't expand?
>>
>>52131230
If you want help, just tell us what file-systems you are working with and what size disks.
>>
>>52131230
If it was unable to expand, why not in the first place, just create 1TB partition on second drive, and only rsync/copy files from 500GB to 1TB?
>>
>>52131247
I'm just curious. I have no drive I need to back up, I just want the knowledge for future reference
>>
/g/ help

I'm in the middle of trying to clone my old failing hard drive. I have the other one installed and formatted. How do I actually clone it? Copy and paste? I don't have a DVD drive or USB tool on hand.
>>
>>52131449
Could you elaborate on your current setup?
Is it PC or Laptop, do you have old hdd connected to the same computer as the new one. Do you have some rescue/live cd on hand or computer with wrking operating system (what flavour)?
>>
>>52131523
Yeah it's a PC tower. The old hdd is the one I'm using now. I don't have a DVD drive so my Windows 7 disk is ass out.
>>
>>52131555
Easiest thing you could do now is just copy your files to the new drive, but then you wouldn't be able to clone your windows. Also you will probably need windows rescue disk (if you created one) or installation disk, in order to repair your system wether some system files got corrupted.
If you want full clone, i'd recommend downloading clonezilla and putting it on some USB flashdrive (just get some quickly if you like your data).
>>
File: norton-ghost-15-download[1].jpg (8 KB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
norton-ghost-15-download[1].jpg
8 KB, 264x264
>>52127976
norton ghost 15(bootable)
easy
friendly ui
network support
cute ghost icon
*just werks
few months ago i have to install 20 new pc's(all shit in one) in my workplace, i just have to to install all the shit and configurations in one pc and made a image, put the image in the server and run norton ghost in every new pc connected to the network
>inb4 hurrr durrr norton is shit
>>
Every time I use clonezilla to clone my windows drive the new drive won't boot. What the hell?
>>
>>52132375
>windows
there is your problem. Windows might be hard ware binded or something.
>>
>>52132375
Never had such prblem.
What error do you get?
BSOD, no boot device found, windows hangs or what?
>>
>>52132414
Something like "system may need repair" then when I use my install disc to repair it; no dice.
>>
File: 143862296291.jpg (38 KB, 600x642) Image search: [Google]
143862296291.jpg
38 KB, 600x642
>>52132406
>hard ware
who the fuck separates hardware into two words?
>>
arcronis
never failed once
>>
>>52128174

link me up, scotty.

googling in the meantime.
>>
>>52132690
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=hard%20drive%20duplicator&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

not even the cheapest ones on the market. i forgot where my friend got them.
>>
>>52132690
fuck. i can't seem to find my drive duplicator. i forgot what brand name it is. i know it's a really cheap chinese one. for the price though, it's worth it, even if i only put it to use one weekend per year.
>>
>>52132690
well shit. still haven't found it. i did however, manage to find a wii. at least that's something.
>>
Macrium Reflect Free. Best software I have used recently. Makes everything you want automatically (like aligning and resizing partitions) so they won't get fuckd up when cloned over. Just use its rescue disk to make an image of your small ssd, put the image on a USB external hdd, boot with the rescue disk , put in the new ssd and copy over. Boom
>>
>>52132600
I was in a hurry. Its just a typo.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.