[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT'S INSTALL DAY!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: arch.png (1 KB, 115x115) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
1 KB, 115x115
So I have just installed arch. I am unsure as to what DE I should use though... I am neutral to GNOME 3, I think Xfce is a little plain and I have a beefy enough system to where performance is not an issue, I love KDE, but can't use it because of the god awful ibus support. LXDE looks nice, but I would rather use Xfce. And Cinnamon is just meh... (Plus terrible compatibility with non-mint distros in my experience...)

Also, what are your must have settings/tweaks/applications?
>>
>>52126562
I'd install Gentoo first.
>>
Xfce is the worst DE.
>>
Cinnamon is great and works beautifully on Arch.
>>
i3. Embrace the tiles. Make sure one of the tiles is running feh with a picture of your waifu.
>>
>>52126562
Avoid DE, use WM
>>
>>52126703
I think it's time to retire the Gentoo meme...
>>
>>52126744
OP here, I have used pure WMs in the past, but I always found them too inconvenient. Although botnet users do call command lines "inconvenient"...
>>
>>52126562
If performance isn't an issue and you dislike cinnamon why don't you just stay with GNOME?
Best DE for fast PCs IMO.
>>
Openbox. Just start it from the CLI on an as-needed basis.
>>
>>52126562
What about Mate?
>>
>>52126789

IceWM is a nice middle ground between WM and DE. It's technically a WM, but it does come with the sort of things (taskbar, clock, etc.) most people would want to use as part of their desktop, so it's more like a very lightweight desktop. But if you aren't into heavy customization, or minimalism, you'll probably not be all that interested in it.

On the other hand, don't write WMs off just yet. You can replace the WM of your DE with a different one. Before I got so interested in using WMs as a replacement for a DE, XFCE was my DE of choice. However outside of Mint and Manjaro, the default version of XFCE is kind of bland. Plus it's own WM can be a bit slow and sluggish. XFCE run on Fluxbox is very nice, and it gives you the Slit. With a little work XFCE might really surprise you.
>>
>>52126562
>terrible compatibility with non-mint distros in my experience
How does it feel to be this new?
>>
>>52126747
can arch be the new gentoo?
it is what the majority use here
>>
>>52126789
>Falling for le botnet meme.
Your hardware and ISP have already been compromised senpai. Installing Arch won't save you.
>>
>>52127204
That sounds pretty awesome actually... I will check that out.
>>
>>52126714
Followed by gnome
>>
>>52126562
MATE
>>
>>52126562
i used to think it was shit but ive been using mate and its so far a great experience. i came from xfce and yet preferred window managers like fluxbox. but i didnt install mate as a DE but as a WM anyways.
>>
>>52127648
Yeah I do like mate, it isn't as modern as GNOME 3, but does have a taskbar, which I really miss...
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.