[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it that makes AMD so bad at emulation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
What is it that makes AMD so bad at emulation?
>>
>>52122628
people who work on emulators have to optimize for special circumstances and are too lazy to optimize for amd.
>>
>>52122628
lower single core performance, otherwise my 750K handles PS2/GameCube/Wii emulation just fine
>>
that it's amd
>>
File: 1427607788738.png (63 KB, 263x343) Image search: [Google]
1427607788738.png
63 KB, 263x343
I don't know why people wine about emulation so much. My old laptop with a freaking T6600 and HD4430 could emulate anything I threw at it just fine, though I admit that I've never been compelled to emulate any console with more horsepower than a Wii.
>>
>>52122870
What are your settings for PCSX2?
>>
File: 1446936419732.jpg (25 KB, 241x318) Image search: [Google]
1446936419732.jpg
25 KB, 241x318
>>52122870
>wine about emulation

Not sure whether or not the pun was intentional, but I appreciate it either way
>>
Fx 8320 chomps through ssbb on dolphin.
>>
>>52123077
>wine
>emulator
Pick one fag
>>
>>52123327
That's the point you raging homosexual
>>
File: Expert_garyoak.png (211 KB, 746x426) Image search: [Google]
Expert_garyoak.png
211 KB, 746x426
If you are a emu dev, your goal is to get it "running", not to "get it running properly".
So if your emulator is a edge case where you barely drag it in land with 98-99% of the real performance on your high end super duper Line End i7, guess what happens at ANY weaker system?

So its 99% performance on the highest end system, where 1% is frame lag.
So what happens on the next tier of systems? i5 and FX? There is a lot more lag.
And what happens on the normal consumer tier? Well, things are not okay.

Seriously, if you want a example, look at the 3DS community. There is the N3DS with more horsepower, and the 3DS with less. So far N3DS can run everything up to PS1 games. 3DS only can run stuff up to Gameboy Color levels.
>>
Low IPC
>>
Is emulating, let's say a PS2 system more a floating point or integer task?
I assume since emulator's are pretty 'what if' and 'how does this even work' needing ancient wizardry and necromancy, it's probably FP
>>
>>52123077
Not intentional, oh well.

>wine
>whine
LeL
>>
>>52122870
>one of the highest single-core-performance mobile CPU's to have ever existed, like 4th best single-core CPU of all time
>gee why is it so good at doing single-core tasks?
>>
>>52123658
there are settings in the PCSX2 that regulate precision, so yeah it's on FP
>>
>>52123710
Well then, guess that answers why AMD does poorly.
>>
Everything under Piledriver had really bad single-threaded performance, yes, but the real kicker was that primo emulation practically-begs you to use builds optimized for instruction sets AMD was lacking, but Intel had (SSE4, AVX2), which make all the difference in the world with power-hungry games like MGS2 and Ratchet and Clank
>>
>>52122628
Seriously? You had to make a thread about it? Fucking autist.
>>
>>52122628
Shit single core performance
>>
Shit per-core performance, which is devastating since emulators use a low amount of cores.
Poor implementation of instruction sets, if at all.

That's about it, and it makes all the difference. In terms of AMD GPUs, their drivers are a steaming pile of shit. Everything AMD just screams anti-emulation.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.