[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home server for database.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: mysql-mariadb.png (14 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
mysql-mariadb.png
14 KB, 500x285
So i've been looking for a cheap (price and electricity cost) small server for home use of MariaDB (MySQL's better sister).
By cheap i mean somewhere in the ballpark of $300.
At first i thought about
HP ProLiant MicroServer G7 N54L
It is small, very power efficient, has ECC memory but pretty crappy processor.
And it made me think, although in enterprise solutions processor usually isn't a bottleneck in DB applications, however all those microsevers (which IMO are more suited for NAS) have crappy CPUs. I cannot find any realiabale data or benchmarks of those low power CPUs, taking into account DB workloads.
So i searched for aftermarket servers and found HP DL365 and HP DL80. They cost pretty much the same as N54L, have more RAM and better CPU. With those i wouln't be concerned about CPU bottlenecking it, but they crave power and require SAS drives (which are expensive, especially SSDs).
So, even that N54L is a bit more expensive than those used servers and have nicer form factor for a home use (i'd put it in my closet) i'm stil afraid that CPU woud become bottleneck.
Important thing, it's not some idle DB, it is set of 40 InnoDB tables, totalling 180GiB. On average 200 inserts/s, 40 updates/s, 5 deletes/s, everything transactional, averaging 5 operations per transaction, taking no more than 3 seconds each trx. Currently i run this DB on Pentium D 2.66GHz (two cores), 16GiB of RAM, RAID0 (speed) HDDs with daily backups. Pretty old stuff and DB servers aint going past 25% of CPU, but dont know how it would scale to that lower power one from N54L.
Also i don't want to top this servers CPU resources with DB, as this machine does other things too.

Tl;DR:
I need good, reliable, low cost, low power server for heavy MariaDB workloads.
>>
File: bacon.png (247 KB, 1343x2398) Image search: [Google]
bacon.png
247 KB, 1343x2398
Morning /g/

>>52117327
That's the smallest cloud package available at nearby providers.

>>52118654
>What the shitting fuck are you running on here? Details, please.
Image data analysis, metadata and stuff, clustering and statistics.

Also screenshot of previous thread attached.
>>52111764
>>
Boomp.
>>
You're not getting a low-wattage board that does anything near acceptable for that. Get a mini-ITX LGA1150 board and put a Xeon E3-1240 in there.
>>
>>52126286
>You're not getting a low-wattage board that does anything near acceptable for that.
I already know that, i lurk here, just in case, there's some good one out there that i didn't find.
The problem with regular or mini boards is thta i cannot find a good realiable efficient power supply for that (that won't cost twice the price of mobo+cpu...)
>>
>>52121770
SQLite or PostgreSQL

mariadb is fucking dead, and it had shit performance to begin with
mysql has always been shit
>>
>>52126651
Go look up some benchmarks for multi-million row DBs, then kill yourself over your retardation.
>>
>>52126651
SQLite :3
I love your bait, man.
>>52126782
And you for falling for it.
>>
>>52126782
>muh benchmarks
Yeah because a 10% performance boost totally matters when InnoDB eats your data and you go hard down for six hours of recovery.
>>
>>52126852
No crash recovery plan in production is a major sin.
Backups/snapshots and replication is the way to go. In a offline situation you can afford 6 hours rebuild.
>>
>>52126782
no thx, my 90 million row db tells me plenty.
>>
>>52127089
Btw, 90kk isn't good enough metric. You could even store it in notepad.webm
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.