[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sound bar vs computer speakers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: large01.jpg (22 KB, 750x480) Image search: [Google]
large01.jpg
22 KB, 750x480
Hi all,

So I want to get new speakers for my tv, and my budget is $300CAD. I just bought an lg las551h but didn't open them yet since i found a store that has an in-store special for $199. Since I have to return the ones I have, I might as well do a little more research, and you guys got me a sweet sweet deal on black friday for a power supply.

So, what are the main differences between a sound bar vs. computer speakers? Is it that sound bars + subwoofers can fake surround sound better? They seem to cost a lot more too. Would they sound better as well? Also, soundbars have optical inputs, so they can utilize actual surround sound from the tv whereas computer speakers cant. Is there anything else? Any recommendations?

tl;dr whats better, soundbars or computer speakers for a TV
>>
Better sounding? Definitely speakers.
Better looking? Arguably the sound bar.
>>
File: Z906.jpg (2 MB, 2244x1158) Image search: [Google]
Z906.jpg
2 MB, 2244x1158
>>52118918
soundbard look nicer and are sleek

thats's the pro
con is for the same price you can get decent surround speakers that in return will take more space and actual wires.

i posess pic related and the have optical input too.
>>
>>52119186
so why are soundbars more expensive? CAuse they can fake surround sound?
>>
File: er_photo_151279.jpg (61 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
er_photo_151279.jpg
61 KB, 800x640
>>52119203
backside
>>
>>52119203
Hmmm, so it's an aesthetic thing? I really don't care that much, so I should return the soundbar you think, and just get some computer speakers with an optical input? While we are talking, is THX certification any good? Cause I didn't see any soundbars that have them but computer speakers and headphones seem to get them.
>>
>>52119228
if you prefer sound over visual appearance, yes.
>>
Anyone have any other thoughts? Or is it plain fact that sound bars are simply not as good as computer speakers?
>>
>>52119228
to the THX certification i can't tell you very much.
i sort of see it like a pc with a sticker saying "optimized for celeron"
i never researched much in that matter, but it is a "nive to have"

but like i said, i'm not in the position to discuss this due my limited knowledge on that matter.
>>
>>52119363
alrighty, thanks for your help!
>>
>>52119363
I don't know too much regarding THX certification for PC speakers, but within the home theater world (and actual theaters as well of course) THX certification is pretty highly regarded for speakers, subs, and receivers. However, I don't know how much that certification will bring to some $100-150 speakers, but it's probably a nice touch.
>>
From what I gather, thx certification is ample bass, uniform gain across your surrounds, and a freq bump for dialogue (2k or so). For computer speakers I think it's a useless buzzword, any other competent brand making a 5.1 system will be fine. It starts to matter with home theater cucks and actual theaters, where they're using discrete power amps, and have to worry about significant wattage.
>>
Computer speakers that you buy in a box with 2.1 or 5.1/7.1 are gonna be muddy poop to say the least.
The sound bar would most likely be better but a good pair of bookshelf speakers would be the best choice for sound.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.