[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haiku OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: haiku-logo.png (25 KB, 761x191) Image search: [Google]
haiku-logo.png
25 KB, 761x191
Is there any reason to use it?
>>
>>52117145
Why aren't you using it?
>>
You enjoy experiencing different systems.
>>
>>52117145

no
>>
>>52117145
I don't know much about it(like everyone else on /g/ will) but I can say that I like the aesthetics and it's filesystem has some cool desktop related features like tags and stuff like that which makes searching for stuff nice.

It's a complete package like the BSDs and it has the Desktop user as it's main focus so as a desktop machine I would imagine that it would be quite nice, also I don't remember if it's leaving Alpha or Beta but it's doing one of those relatively soon.

I'd support it just because OS-wise there really isn't a lot of options intended for desktop use and it's always interesting to see other peoples takes on software etc, hopefully they will find some level of success.

(generally if it requires some level of reading /g/s opinion on the subject will be fairly useless, but good luck nonetheless)
>>
>>52117145
I installed it on an old computer today. It's actually really nice. The UI is snappy and the entire OS seems really consistent. Before installing it on the computer I tested the live CD on a laptop and all of my hardware (including WIFI) worked perfectly.

I'm sure if I use it long enough I'll find out why it's still in alpha, but it seems good enough to browse the web and such.

>>52117255
>I don't remember if it's leaving Alpha or Beta but it's doing one of those relatively soon.
I heard it's going leave alpha once they fix all of the bugs with package management.
>>
Haiku is conceptually great and all, but until they start including basic fucking things like hardware GPU acceleration of OpenGL and sound drivers that don't suck it's for VMs and trashboxen only.

Honestly if Linux gets its desktop-packaging shit together with Wayland and xdg-app before Haiku hits R1 it's all ogre.
>>
>tfw there are commercial vendors of software for haiku for desktop usage and profesional radio broadcasting or something, none of that can be said about linux
>>
It's a great concept.
But it needs more fleshing out.
Just some basic things.
>>
>>52120282

if folks would learn about
What already exists now
Nothing new needed
>>
>>52117145

If it works anything like BeOS did for data recovery I will end up using it. Ive still got a machine I use every so often strictly for recovery. (P3 550mhz 256mb of ram with a 30gig hard drive xp 98 & beos)

It dont give two fucks what the hard drive is doing it will hammer it till it either gets what you want or the drive smokes....
>>
>>52117799
>but it seems good enough to browse the web and such.
I can't keep the browser from crashing long enough to even load a single webpage
>>
>>52121272
Are you running the latest nightly build? The alpha is pretty old at this point.
>>
Excellent OS, its the best bet for a fully open source Desktop/Workstation OS as it doesn't have the ugly server+mainframe roots like Linux or BSD.

Unfortunately it doesn't get enough development as all the autists want to use something easier to rice like Linux
>>
>>52117155
hahahaha
>>
>>52121818
yeah. It worked fine in the Alpha (but then my wifi didn't work) but since about 5 month the browser keeps crashing on me in nightly builds.
Unless they fixed it recently - I haven't tried it in December yet.
BeOS was my favorite OS back in the day, I really hope they make Haiku somewhat usable, at least for a shitposting laptop.
>>
no. dumb hipster garbage. It's what you pretend to use after you were pretending to use BSD but then you saw others using BSD, repeat for linux, and windows.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.