[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bullshitting my way through website development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: circle-img2.jpg (86 KB, 1200x804) Image search: [Google]
circle-img2.jpg
86 KB, 1200x804
I do some "web development" for the restaurant I work for. Basically it is editing blog posts via joomla and jce editor. Super simple Microsoft Word teir stuff, but no one knows that except me since my colleagues are tech illiterate.

Anyway it has given me a reputation as a capable web developer and word has been getting around and now I have real prospects for web development deals.

I understand the basic concepts behind creating websites, but when it comes to the details and overall professional course of action I will be playing it by ear.

How do I make it look like I know what I'm doing and not that I'm googling everything as I go?

>hey I heard you changed oil one time, how about you come rebuild my engine?
>>
my advice is to turn back before the drowning happens
>>
>>52114694
Git gud.
>>
>>52114737

I'm pretty confident I can learn on the down low while actually accomplishing something. I just need to be able to pretend I'm confident in my abilities
>>
OP don't listen to >>52114737
You can bullshit your way through this
>>
Tell them you're a hack and to come back in few months time once you learned more and built a solid base. Learning as you go may sound easy, but could easily fuck you in the ass.
>>
File: 1399769759601.jpg (209 KB, 1144x741) Image search: [Google]
1399769759601.jpg
209 KB, 1144x741
Alright, what are typical questions a web developer will ask a client when initially assessing their needs?

My most immediate "client" wants a website for his small real estate company. I've been looking around at other real estate sites and I will probably end up modeling it after what I find there.

As tempting as it is, I will be staying away from WordPress for a cms. It looks amateurish. I'm looking at Joomla and Drupal.

Setting up hosting and a domain name won't be a problem.
>>
this seems like how most web development jobs start lel
>>
Pay for hosting with joomla already installed
>>
Just use something like bluestacks or google hosting with wordpress. Voila
>>
>>52114842
so basically the question isn't about technology at all
>>
>>52115106

Not entirely, but the ideal target audience for this thread browses /g/

But you already knew that.

Faggot
>>
>>52114694
you can easily bullshit your way to make static webpages.

but dynamic you may want to grab a textbook or two and learn some stuff (php, javascript databases)
>>
>>52114694
>googling everything as I go
Literally the way every one of us in professional employment conducts ourselves through 99% of problems.

The trick is not being able to do it without google, the trick is to know what questions to ask google when you can't.
>>
File: bootstrap[1].png (114 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
bootstrap[1].png
114 KB, 500x400
>>
>>52114694
Don't worry too much about convincing people youre not just googling it as you go along. Googling well is a skill, and it takes a level of problem solving ability to build a website without knowing what the fuck you're doing.

I think you're underestimating your ability as a simple shit web developer by overestimating what everyone else knows. The mere fact that you know where to start Googling and can puzzle it out puts you well above other people. And then there are plenty of people who CAN figure it out, but it's not worth their time to do so for one simple website.

Basically, as long as you charge fairly, no one will really mind knowing that you have to google it every now and then. It's just part of the job. You don't have to flaunt your ignorance, but don't worry about hiding it. The more open you are with your ignorance, the more temporary it becomes.
>>
>>52115012
Just a few off the top of my head.

Who is your target audience? What do you want them to do? What information do they need to do it? How else can I facilitate that?
>>
File: 1386311923602.jpg (7 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
1386311923602.jpg
7 KB, 205x246
>>52115981

>The more open you are with your ignorance, the more temporary it becomes.

Will you be my dad
>>
You'll need to learn tech lingo, and what's hot lately and why.
Do you want to learn front end or back end development?

"Web developer" is a general term. Learn one aspect at a time, and learn it well.

A bit of advice:
Most "developers" learn a back end language and google their way through it at the beginning. They tend to hop languages and frameworks to "whatever's hot at the time" giving them massive breadth and little depth.

That's not to discredit learning a wide variety of things though, as learning them would help you fit into almost any spot and continue growing as a human being instead of being stuck working on X for 40 hours a week because X is all you knew at the time. Just slowly go down the list. Start with the basic framework you'd like to learn. Learn enough of the front end to get by (bootstrap / foundation 3 / etc.), learn the back end (Laravel / Django / etc.), learn something about creating virtual hosts on your server and then you're good to work pretty much anywhere. Just be confident. :)

Good luck fell /g/entooman.
>>
>>52114694
Learn bootstrap
It's really intuitive, makes your progress faster, looks more professional in the end.
I've used it on all my side projects :)
>>
freecodecamp.com

working through this now. teaches full-stack webdev focusing on javascript
>>
>>52116214
Great resource, but you should supplement it with some courses from udacity. It used to have udacity courses as part of the curriculum before it was completely written, and the udacity stuff is much more thorough than the new stuff.
>>
Become an unofficial reseller of square space.
>>
>>52114694
Look at your easiest prospect, and build something equivalent for yourself.

There's a good way to test yourself out.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.