[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I convince my friends relatives that grades don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 12451251251251.jpg (650 KB, 600x576) Image search: [Google]
12451251251251.jpg
650 KB, 600x576
How can I convince my friends relatives that grades don't mean that much if you have certificates to back it up and experience? Which my friend probably has the certificate part, not sure about the certs.

He invited me to a resort that his family owns and holy shit, he got shit on every time it gets.

Literally have a relative that is banking 100k/y as a webdesigner that graduated with a 2.9 in computer science.

tldr: Do grades matter in CompSci?
>>
unless you have real world experience or are going to MIT or something, yes grades do matter
>>
They don't matter as much as everyone thinks they do but that's no excuse to be a bum and graduate with a 2.0. Work hard and you will be rewarded
>>
any tangible evidence that you're not a fuck up will never hurt you in any way. is it a requirement to have good grades to be successful? no, it's not even a requirement to go to college, but if you do do something, you should be trying to do it the best you can. the fact of the matter is the technology bubble is maturing, and it's no longer like the early 2000s where you can make $150K just by pretending you know what a computer is. a college degree will be a valuable asset to someone who has other real skills and experience as they move through their career, especially in larger companies.

just do your best, and as long as you are happy, you shouldn't be giving a shit what your friends and family say anyway.
>>
lets put it this way. If you do well in an interview and impress people, no one is going to care unless you have like a 2.0

at the same time no one is going to ignore your grades, and good grades will be noticed
>>
File: shafter.png (428 KB, 554x311) Image search: [Google]
shafter.png
428 KB, 554x311
I'm getting paid 60k a year and I'm only 23 years old and had a 2.4 GPA, but I had tons of certifications that world wide experiences as IT tech, programming, and maintaining sites (which is not that much though). I've told them I have worked in pretty big IT fields in the Dominican Republic and Canada, and sorts.

They of course, asked about my grades, I just told them that I had a relative that I had to take care of at home and my GPA plummeted during that time because I had to take care of someone with Alzheimer and it was eating my time, and lost bunch of points because of attendance.

Where I see that grades matter the most is Law and Med, where if you don't have at least a 3.5 you won't get anywhere, and no one will trust you since you have to deal with people in those fields.

Talking about this made me remember a kid that only programmed at school for the sake of his grades and graduated top of the class. I'm looking at him now and he's currently an IT teacher at someone pleb school.
>>
>>52114475
Out of college start in a big company and tried to make a persona you think will match them, they can't be choosy since most teams are conformed of many people.

After get constant good work done and move up the ranks, and after 2 years try applying for new and better options.

Right now Florida is hot in IT and they are basically hiring anyone that can do basic PHP, HTML and Javascript with 55k starting salary and 1 year of internship somewhere.
>>
i had a cousin that didnt get good grades because of language barrier, but after adapting and 5 years after college he's working as a code rat for 80k a year
>>
>>52114475
Since when was 60k a year considered good?
>>
File: C O O L D U D E .jpg (29 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
C O O L   D U D E .jpg
29 KB, 362x362
>>52114340
Second for this.
>>
>>52114275
Certs don't in technology means you want to be a cable runner. A real software engineer designs new technology and implements it. Its like the difference between an electrical engineer and electrician.
>>
>>52114659
** Certs don't mean shit in technology, unless you want to be a cable runner
>>
>>52114275
I really hope you're right anon

My GPA is 2.5 right now ;_;
>>
>>52114275
A dude with certs + experience + grades > a dude with certs + experience.

Also, it's much easier getting that first internship/job with good grades. Some places won't even let you upload a resume with less than 3.0 GPA for internships (easy way to weed out people not willing to put in work).
>>
You can't ask this here, you'll only know from experience. There are people I know that graduated for the sake of having their parents suck their cock with praises (computer science) and end up a failure in a job because it was too much for them and ended up succumbing as Bob the IT guy from x college/highschool/etc. Most of the ones I know that got 2.x gpa due to some fucked up reason ended up working the extra mile after college and actually got paid 50k+.

This is why I love living and meeting people, I fucking love it when shit like this happens, and for my surprise it was quite often.
>>
Don't put your GPA on your resume.

If asked, tell the truth. Be prepared to give a good explanation.

Get interviews and make good personal projects to cast a shadow over a low GPA.

Once you land that first job and stick with it for 6+ months, your GPA and college will never matter again.
>>
>>52114781
Get internships*
>>
File: 1337056608824.gif (885 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
1337056608824.gif
885 KB, 250x189
To keep it simple, if you're not putting good time into studying, you better be putting that time working on something related to what you want to do. Don't be surprised if you can't find a fucking job because you lowballed college, played vidya all day, and fapped to anime.
>>
>>52114613
Since people stopped having kids
>>
it depends. if your gps is low enough you will get cut off from internships that have a requirement. as for jobs go it would only really effect your first job right out of school if anything, because once you have held a real job down they arent going to give a shit.
>>
>>52114845
Are you planning to slave away for 40 years before you can finally retire on the pittance that is social security?
>>
>>52114613
when you don't live in a metropolis
>>
File: 1447244658216.png (146 KB, 402x368) Image search: [Google]
1447244658216.png
146 KB, 402x368
>>52114475
>60k per year
>with a degree

I'm making that in my late 20s in backwater nowhere without a degree. You're either lying or getting keked hard

Or maybe you just suck.
>>
It depressing, you reminded me when I started with a 3.7 and had 3 internships on my resume until everything went downhill because of my family bringing me down.

Considered suicide, but meh.
>>
File: mktbghuw90nvp2p8brrh.png (521 KB, 800x1647) Image search: [Google]
mktbghuw90nvp2p8brrh.png
521 KB, 800x1647
>>52114897
60k is middle class
>>
>>52114933

My point exactly, anon. A good programmer with degree in hand should be well beyond that.
>>
Everyone on /g/ is either a NEET making $0 a year or making above the median wage.
>>
>>52114960
there's nothing bad of being middle class senpai
>>
>>52114970
by*
>>
>>52114970
60k is enough to comfortably support one person.
It's when you start having kids that it actually becomes not enough.
>>
>>52115105
That's only if you intend to slave away for your jewish boss until you can start collecting social security paychecks, if they still exist by then. If you don't intend to be a wageslave your entire adult life, then it isn't enough at all.
>>
File: 1412570806132.jpg (45 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1412570806132.jpg
45 KB, 500x372
>>52114275
The only way to convince relatives that you aren't a piece of shit is to get a good job and prove them wrong. They aren't going to care about any certs until you actually get hired somewhere
>>
>>52114275
It depends on the company. A lot of companies realize that it's hard to learn stuff on your own and maintain a perfect GPA, and thus don't care much for it if it looks like you know what you're doing. Some companies are swamped with qualified applicants, so they can afford to weed people out based off of GPA. Then there are companies who genuinely think it matters, but those aren't the kinds of companies the kind of person who doesn't care about GPA would want to work for aanyway, so no big loss there.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.