[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I spend 90% of my time on the computer thanks to work and my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (2 KB, 144x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
2 KB, 144x144
I spend 90% of my time on the computer thanks to work and my hobbies. And I'm starting to develop carpal tunnel in my right hand. I already do exercises but it's time to get a stress ball or something similar. Any /g/entoomen have a good product they use? Or a method of beating the programmers worst enemy?

tldr beat back the devil that is carpal tunnel
>>
File: planck.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
planck.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
yeah, a planck, pic related but not mine, went for the full 48 key grid

the reason being, by minimizing finger and wrist travel, it saves a lot of strain on my hand. I mapped mouse controls to a layer on it as well to further minimize movement when doing basic, minor mouse movements. The grid pattern also saves me from any awkward key presses that I experienced with a few keys on some staggered keyboards
>>
Just exercise. Using your hands and grip to lift weights and building strength. Use your hands on something it is designed to do. Lifting stuff and gripping stuff while you hang and lift yourself.
>>
File: IgCOGWL.jpg (132 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
IgCOGWL.jpg
132 KB, 858x536
>>52112470
that is beautiful piece of tech anon. Possibly my Christmas present to myself, did you start feeling carpal tunnel or just made the smart decision and fixed the problem before?
>>
>>52112539
I exercise regularly. Did SL5x5 this year and switching to a new program like a Normie come new years
>>
>>52112390

you need to just take care of yourself in general

I've been in programming hell before. your self discipline just slips away. at some point you have to start fighting it, and that's half the battle.

exercise more, you will feel great
>>
>>52112540
Several years ago it started rather, a combination of repetitive motions at the workplace and lots of typing caused it to go out of control. I used to have to call it quits in the evening on the computer sometimes because it was hurting too much and I just couldn't risk it getting worse for the next day.

To be honest, I didn't buy it with the intent of it being some solution for my wrists, but considered any little bit would help, as well as wanting a nice portable mech. It wasn't intended as my daily driver has since become my sole keyboard since it's the only thing that doesn't kill me to type on for extended periods of time.
>>
File: derppp.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
derppp.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>52112470
my nigga
>>
File: map.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
196 KB, 1920x1080
>>52112390
>>52112470
>>52112651
if you have the patience for it try learning an alternate key layout. i switched to workman layout in the start of the year. took roughly two months or so to be fully comfortable with it but combined with the grid layout my fingers have never felt better. pic is my current layout on the planck.
>>
>>52112639
>>52112747
thanks for the input. I'm getting the carpal tunnel mainly in my fingers. For now I'm gonna order a squeeze ball or stress ball. I bought a keyboard earlier this year and can't rationalize another till I've tried other options.

any experience with exercise balls?
>>
>>52112747
I've learned a bit of colemak on my planck but never committed fully to the switch, might give workman a try
>>
I never really got carpal tunnel, but started getting bits of discomfort, particularly in my right wrist (pointing device hand). Getting a good trackball (CST L-trac) and a 60% board (HHKB 2) made a big difference. It's so much more comfortable, and now full-size keyboards and regular mice feel goofy to use due to all the extraneous movement involved.
>>
Learn guitar. It works wonders.

Seriously.
>>
>>52113092
I have both!
>>
>>52112893
i tried dvork and colemak for a while. dvorak was better than qwerty but placed way too much strain on my pinkies. colemak had some nice aspects but imo is still basically just qwerty with better home row keys. workman seems to be the only layout that actually thinks about how your fingers move and maps the keys accordingly. ie your index finger can move down easier than moving up, your middle and ring fingers reach up easier than down.

>>52112865
no experience with ex balls but i would think they would be detrimental. if your fingers hurt from repetitive strain the last thing you should want to do is to further stress them. if you can`t commit to a new keyboard i would suggest.
-get a timer and set it to go off every 15-20 min get up and stretch, walk around.
-learn a better key layout
-give a trackpad a try over a mouse. you can switch hands with a trackpad easier than a mouse and it will require less movement than a mouse.
-experiment with your work area. try raising or lowering it to be more ergonomic. sit stand desks are great but expensive but with a little resourcefulness you could convert a sitting desk to a stand. you`d be suprised at the difference standing and typing can make on your forearms
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.