[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buffalo Terrastation II TS-HTGL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: ts-htgl-r5_bw_lg.jpg (103 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ts-htgl-r5_bw_lg.jpg
103 KB, 500x500
Bought one of these for £1. (That's around $2)

Intend to upgrade with 4 x 4TB drives.

The existing firmware only has options for Raid 1, 5, 10

wat do?

Would this be a reasonable backup solution?
>>
raid is still not a backup
>>
Its closer to a dollar you britkek
Enjoy your economy shitting the bed.
>>
>>52112246
He's not using raid as a backup you fucking retard, he's backing up his shit to it
>>
>>52112280
Barely.

£1 would cost closer to 2 of your dollarinos if you were to go out and buy something.

>>52112246
I have working copies on my machines that would back up to the raid array periodically.

Yes the array would be offsite at my parents house.
>>
File: 2014-12-22 14.48.06.jpg (53 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-22 14.48.06.jpg
53 KB, 600x600
bump?
>>
>>52112440
xe.com

£1 = $1.48

Of course it's always fluctuating so it might be a bit lower or higher by the time you read this.
>>
>>52113056
Go out and buy a £1.

Let me know how much you pay for it including charges/commission etc.

Alternatively, go forex trading. See how much you actually pay for £1.

t. Moshe Goldberg
>>
>>52112215
Don't use raid5 with large slow disks. Just asking for it to fuck up during a rebuild.
>>
>>52113224
We'll seeing as I got the station for cheap, I was going to splash out on some HGST 4TB's @7200rpm.

Make it super mechanically reliable and use either Raid 5 or 10.

What do you think?

The only thing I'm concerned about is that the raid card in the actual station might die (no idea how likely it is). I wonder if I'd be able to rebuild from disk if that was the case, or if fucking the raid card would fuck the entire array.
>>
>>52112280
We've got a pretty good idea about what's to come, been watching you Amerifags floundering for quite a few years now.
>>
>>52113078

Go out and buy $2 for £1 since that's what you claim the value to be. It's going to be even harder than buying £1 for $1.48.

Where can anyone go out and buy a Buffalo Terrastation II TS-HTGL for £1? I'm betting finding someone to exchange $1.48 for £1 will be thousands of times easier.

In summary, you're being a 'tard.
>>
>>52113441
Like I said, don't use RAID5 with large slow disks. If one of those fails and you try to rebuild the array the chances of it fucking up are like 75%. RAID1 would be your best bet for a backup device. You need reliability not speed.
>>
>>52113723
the OP said:

>That's around $2
>around $2

Do you understand how to round?

Shut the fuck up.
>>
Sell it and buy a HP Microserver
>>
>>52113989
Right. I see what you're getting at. Thank you.

Rebuilding the array and having a disc fail during rebuild with a distributed parity would just end up being a catastrophic failure of the entire array.

Understood.

Mirroring with no parity would be less space efficient, but overall safer. And for a backup, reliability and redundancy are key. Hence Raid 1.

Is there any reason not to use Raid 1+0?
>>
>>52112215

where did you buy it?
>>
>>52114142
From the firm I work for.

They fell for the cloud storage meme.

The raid array on this terrastation had failed, but I managed to pull one of the drives and rebuild the array in RAID 5. Recovered all the data (useless data). Essentially the thing is fine, but I had to bust it open because some genius lost the key.

It currently has a laughable 4x250GB hard drives in it. I'm planning on replacing with 4 x 4TB

They also back up onto tapes But ...They're selling one of their older tape drives for £100. I'm kinda tempted.
>>
>>52112215
Fuck the OEM firmware, install Debian on it.
>>
>>52114320
Can I?

I was looking for a fucking method to do that a while ago but 10mins of googling was just full of useless retards asking how to reset their passwords.

Debian would be perfect, or even if I could ghetto-rig freenas onto it.

The OEM FW is supreme shit though, I'll tell you that right now.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.