[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Noobprogrammer here (pls read I'll make it short) >only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1423073085729.jpg (110 KB, 660x578) Image search: [Google]
1423073085729.jpg
110 KB, 660x578
>Noobprogrammer here (pls read I'll make it short)
>only ever scripted shit for vidya mods (Q3, Fallout 3) and developed a few OpenGL games

>need to create an engine for quizz games running on a raspi, 4 gaming pads max operated by bluetooth, 2D drawing instructions mostly, sound and max 720p video. The program will most probably run on GNU/Linux Debian

>just took 2 courses (Structure and Interpretation MIT and Python MITx)

Two questions :

Will Python be powerful enough for a lil raspi or should I take C++ (the learning process being considerably longer I guess although valuable for the future and I won't need this much skill to create something not that difficult) ?

Should I create the engine in C++ and the games in Python ?

>inb4 fuck off to Quora or StackOverflow
>>
>>52110469
>Noobprogrammer
>and developed a few OpenGL games
>>
>>52110569
Yeah I spent a few months learning C x OpenGL some years ago, but really it was more like following tutorials and trying to reproduce it without following any guidelines other than documentations

I'm not a total noob, I know the principles, but still
>>
>>52110469
>Will Python be powerful enough for a lil raspi
Actually, it's a problem best stated the other way round: RPi isn't strong enough to run an interpreted language like Python well (at least for anything beyond a simple interface around a library, etc.)

C++ on the other hand, was MADE for resource-constrained platforms like embedded.
>>
>>52111555
Yeah obviously, I meant the other way around.

But is it, really ?
>>
>>52112536
>But is it, really ?
Is it really what anon? I've owned a RPi2 for about 6 months now, so I may be able to answer some simple questions. I've already given you my decided opinion on Python vs. Native on a SoC like the RPi, et al.

Was there a more specific question involved? I've already read you're OP, and replied accordingly.
>>
>>52112638
Yeah sorry I'm tired and my English was never so good. I meant, is it really lacking that much power so it can't run mildly-elaborate Python programs, but I guess you did answer.

I'll get one soon enough anyway, I'll see.
I guess it's C++, then. I should probably take a look at Ada/Erlang too then, I guess ?
>>
>>52112791
Meh no worries anon. Just try it out for you'reself and see. For the use I'm working on for mine (prototyping robotics vision) C++ or (shudder) C are the only good choices. You're use case is much lighter weight by the sound of it.

>Ada/Erlang
Heh, if learning more languages is a fun thing for you, then sure. Otherwise, I'd stick with modern C++ and a rather lightweight distro on it. At least Arch-grade or less.
>>
>>52112841
>You're use case is much lighter weight by the sound of it
When I see how my mum's PC lags and freezes when she plays Candy Crush on her 2012 Celeron, I'm kinda worried about how a simple puzzle game can be highly resource-demanding.

But yeah, I guess it can be handled by a BCM2836
>>
>>52110469
Good lord, what the fuck is that animal?
>>
>>52113126
a Python xDDDDDD
>>
>>52113126
Looks kinda like a retarded tapir or something.
Reverse image search just says it's one of the "25 derpiest animals in the world."
>>
>>52110469
Why do you "need" to create an engine? Why not build on established work?
>>
File: karen_o.jpg (32 KB, 745x492) Image search: [Google]
karen_o.jpg
32 KB, 745x492
Use D its like C++ except its not shit and cleanly interfaces with C libraries.

D + SDL2 + OpenGL = *_*
>>
>>52112791
Forget about Ada; if you ever want to learn a safe systems programming language then you should learn Rust. With that said, you can probably forget about that for now
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.