[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CS or SE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: compSci.jpg (669 KB, 1280x1240) Image search: [Google]
compSci.jpg
669 KB, 1280x1240
I'm gonna start college soon. is CS still a meme ? am i better of with SE ? or SS ?
>>
>>52100106
If you think CS is a meme, why on earth would you even consider SE?

SE is like a stripped down CS, all the hard theory and mathematics is replaced with stuff like easymode classes like "project development" and "intro to SAP programming"

It's basically like code monkey boot camp for suckers because it takes three years instead of two months.
>>
>>52100106
You should study math.
>>
File: 1446766374188.jpg (18 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1446766374188.jpg
18 KB, 640x640
Yeah let's study software development but avoid delving into discrete math, data structures, and algorithmic complexity.

That way, we can all be Node.js developers and circlejerk on our Macbooks at Starbucks while we slowly populate the Internet with meaninglessly inefficient software.
>>
>>52100129
>>52101148

I'm confused, every college I've been at, looked into or near has had software engineering as a concentration in CS where you took more math and physics to meet the school of engineering's requirements.

OP look up and at the fucking school and how good it is.

There's a whole list the NSA, FBI and others do where they tell you point blank your school must be on this list or have XYZ math classes or they are shitlords.
>>
>>52101148
At least I make a fuck ton of money doing so.

>meaningless
Not nessecerily

Get off your high horse.
>>
>>52100129
>hard theory and mathematics
>CS
yeah discrete math was very hard! I had to study for 3 days straight just to grasp a proof by induction!
>>
>>52103305
Your shitty community college doesn't count, senpai

Also, your post is still not an argument for SE
>>
The only value that CS has over SE is that most computer jobs will list a CS degree. A philosophy major HR person might take your SE degree and throw it in the trash because they don't understand that they really wanted a developer, not a scientist.
>>
The names of the major is meaningless, chosen by people who dont really understand it. just look at the classes you are going to be taking
>>
>>52100106
Software Engineer here. Weekday do you want to do after college, OP? Would you enjoy developing software at an engineering firm, or would you rather go to grad school and research something interesting, eventually becoming a professor?

SE is a "Get a job" major. It's there to teach you the skills, methodologies, tools, and best practices that we use in industry, and to give you some experience developing in a group seeing instead of just on your own.

Meanwhile, CS is more of a research major. It's a real science: undergrad will expose you to a little bit of everything do you can find what interests you and learn it more heavily in grad school. Eventually you'll learn just about everything there is to know about one very specific topic, then you'll do original research to create something that no one knew before.

You can get an industry job with CS, and you can pursue a PhD in SE, but that's not really what either of them are about.
>>
>is ____ a meme?
what does this mean? What are you trying to get answered?

if you can't ask more tangible questions, don't go to college. it'll be a waste of money for a few quarters while you burn out.
>>
>>52100106
>meme
i wish i could teleport to your place and shoot you in the face for using that word
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.