[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to give up, /g/ I bought at new GPU in October,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: Sapphire-270-outputs.jpg (188 KB, 1146x755) Image search: [Google]
Sapphire-270-outputs.jpg
188 KB, 1146x755
I'm about to give up, /g/

I bought at new GPU in October, and since then, games don't run as well as I know they should be able to with the card I bought. It's a R9 270, and that's not a bad card. Not a very good card, but it's not bad. You'd think I'd be able to run games like Battlefront or Fallout 4, but I can't. I get maybe 1 frame per every two seconds, and that's on Low. I just tried a fresh install of my graphics drivers, but it didn't help. I know the card is working, just not as well as it should.

Which leads me to believe it might not be the GPU. Could be the CPU? My RAM? Hell, any clues at all? Please? I'm about to rip my hair out. I just want to play crappy games at decent graphical settings, but I can't.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
Could be the single channel RAM.

That's all I can think of, there really isn't any other reason it shouldn't work.

Any other games that don't work?
>>
>>52096659
Check the cpu/gpu usage in some program.
Are you sure your not using your cpus igpu or motherboard igpu?
>>
>>52096659
Run MSI Afterburner in the background. See what kind of CPU/GPU usage you get. Also, that single channel memory probably doesn't help in games like FO4 with it's bizarre hunger for fast RAM.
>>
>>52096685
Real world differences between single/dual channel aren't that big of a difference. OP should check his in game system usage like >>52096780 suggested. It's likely something else is running while the game is.
>>
>>52096685
Even simple games like Hotline Miami or Rouge Legacy don't work that well. Definitely playable, but there's occasional stuttering.

>>52096780
>>52096817
>>52096832
Checking now.
>>
File: specs 2.png (457 KB, 1657x614) Image search: [Google]
specs 2.png
457 KB, 1657x614
Okay, I ran some tests, and the only abnormal thing I noticed is that my CPU is running pretty warm. Of course, reading Afterburner is a little Greek to me, but the GPU's usage was at or near 100% even on menus. It fluctuated during loading screens, but the game was performing so poorly that I couldn't even load the tutorial.

So now I'm really confused.

Single channel RAM might be the issue? A poor CPU? Maybe God is angry at me for touching myself at night, therefore I can't play video games?
>>
>>52097121
You have a bitcoin miner.
Reinstall windows.
>>
>>52097121
Run furmark and see what happens.
>>
>>52097121
Reinstall windows and do fresh driver loads. Then try again.

Its probably some shitty program you have or malware or some shit.
>>
>>52097121
Your CPU is probably thermal throttling. Even if you do have some sort of malware, your CPU shouldn't be getting near that warm. Reapply thermal paste, run Malwarebytes.
>>
>>52097219
He was running some tests
>>
>>52097121
bruh your CPU is reporting 98C in speccy. download HWmonitor and see what temp your CPU is running at. Take a scrrenshot of the program maximized. If your CPU is going insanely hot, you'll see those FPS drops and a whole bunch of other shit go screwy. Is your CPU overclocked or stock?
>>
>>52097234
even if he was a CPU should NEVER see 90C. Yes they're rated up to like 101C before they have a big chance of dying, but anything past 85Cish on intel chips and they start getting a bit... off. Prime95 starts reporting errors and workers dropping out etc.
>>
File: HWmon.png (68 KB, 1067x1025) Image search: [Google]
HWmon.png
68 KB, 1067x1025
Here's my HWMonitor readouts.
>>
File: OPsHW.png (93 KB, 1067x1025) Image search: [Google]
OPsHW.png
93 KB, 1067x1025
I wanted to make sure speccy wasn't falsely reporting temps due to a faulty sensor (rare on intel stuff).

that said, your CPU is going nuts. Very hot. Red is your temps. Even though this is after running several tests more than likely, your CPU is much much hotter than it should be. Even on a stock cooler you shouldn't be seeing beyond 75C. the 94C+ you're seeing all points to the CPU not being cooled properly. Time to take a look inside. Pull the CPU cooler, wipe down the surface of the chip with 100% alcohol and a Q-tip. Same with the surface of the heatsink. Make sure they're nice and clean. Then reapply a dot of thermal paste in the center of the chip. Secure the cooler properly.
>>
>>52097315
Jesus christ
You do have a CPU cooler, right?
>>
>>52097315
Its throttling. Whats your OC at? If its below 4.4, then its probably mostly a thermal paste or cooler issue.

Either loose cooler or bad fan or weak cooler or thermal paste reapplication is needed.

Just lower the OC if needed. Bring down the temp to <90 on load during test.
>>
>>52097388
oh and forgot to mention black. In black is your CPU's clock speeds. From left to right is min, current, and max. The act your CPU cores aren't all synchronizing into boost at all times usually shows CPU thermal throttle attempting to keep your PC on.
>>
Alright, I'm going in. I'll report back what I find.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far.
>>
>>52097388
reapply thermal paste, there's definitely some throttling happening here
>>
>>52097424
he's not OCing though. Look at his boost clock state. He's capping out at 3.8ghz which is like standard for a 3570k if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>52097501
Yeah, saw that after I clicked post. Didn't want to correct my post because muh captcha/1 min wait.
>>
Reapply thermal paste, but don't use a q tip please. Lint free like a coffee filter is better
>>
File: degreasing_myself.jpg (19 KB, 240x303) Image search: [Google]
degreasing_myself.jpg
19 KB, 240x303
>>52097121
>90C
>>
File: specs 3.png (28 KB, 1020x418) Image search: [Google]
specs 3.png
28 KB, 1020x418
Well, clip my dick and call my Caitlyn, you guys were right. My heatsink wasn't secured properly - two of the four annoying clip-pin things weren't even in, and it was wobbly.

It's at a cool 45C now.

I'm about to run Battlefront to see how it works.
>>
File: cakescreen.jpg (708 KB, 1503x900) Image search: [Google]
cakescreen.jpg
708 KB, 1503x900
Works perfectly.

Thank you, /g/. Something so stupidly simple, and I didn't even think about it. Oh well, I'm forever in your debt.
>>
>>52098036
Have fun lad
>>
>>52097939
>45
>good
>>
>>52098036
don't forget to kll yourself eventually ;-)
>>
>>52098091
We all will :^3
>>
>>52096659
No it is simply
>AMD
>Drivers
>>
>>52097939
Consider getting an aftermarket heatsink that doesn't use clips. That way this shit can't happen. That's one thing AMD does right over Intel, is that their coolers have a proper mounting mechanism.

A Hyper 212+ or other such cooler is a tiny investment for such a huge gain.
>>
>>52097151
>>52097183
this.
>>
>>52098074
the fuck is your problem thats good enough
>>
>>52098299
This, OP. Stock intel cooler has the same purpose as IE in windows - only there until you get something better.

Evo 212 is easily the best bang for buck mainstream cooler. Your CPU will thank you.
>>
>>52098299
>>52099410

Different anon here, what cooler is the easiest to install? Tried Hyper 212 EVO and it's a pain compared to Noctua's mounting mechanism.
>>
>>52099454
I myself use noctua but for reasons other than ease of install. Honestly, how often do you have to install a cooler that awkward mounting becomes an issue?
>>
>>52099611
>Honestly, how often do you have to install a cooler that awkward mounting becomes an issue?

What if I assemble computers for a hobby? Or at least used to and is out of practice?
>>
yesterday i tried same gpu on old 3ghz amd quad, 4gb ram (single channel) and with ultra settings i could get 20fps in fallout 4
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.