[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ArcGIS Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: arcgis.gif (280 KB, 1360x1021) Image search: [Google]
arcgis.gif
280 KB, 1360x1021
Anyone on this board work in ArcGIS? I'd like to pick your brain
>>
I mostly do ArcGIS Online and their web APIs. But yeah, I use ArcGIS Desktop for some stuff
>>
GIS people on /g/?

yeah I [spoiler] work at ESRI, kill me[/spoiler]
>>
i uh, use basecamp.
>>
>>52096633
>>52096672

OK, so I'm thinking of going back to school and getting certified and all that and try to get hired into the environmental field with it

Am I fucked if I have mediocre math skills?

Do you really end up doing much passed weighted sums and basic spacial analysis?

Just how important is python?
>>
>>52096672
In Redlands or somewhere else?

If you want to share what you do and why you hate it, I'm all ears.
>>
>>52096732
Mediocre math got me far enough, at least where I am. I did a Bachelor's degree in GIS and barely need math for doing GIS stuff, but there were math courses like in every computer science degree.

>Do you really end up doing much passed weighted sums and basic spacial analysis?
I do mostly software development, but you could go into spatial analysis if you wanted. I though the weighted sums stuff was done by software, I can't remember actually calculating these myself.

Just any programming language is fine to start with, at work I use Python from time to time (read: once a month) to make quick scripts for things or ArcGIS automation. Nothing big, ArcGIS isn't what I use for my day work, just for validating data, checking servers etc.

>>52096735
No, a European Esri subsidiary doing a lot of government software work. It's alright though, I was just kidding.

It's just that everything from Esri is quite... complicated and feels dated.
>>
>>52096732
>Am I fucked if I have mediocre math skills?
>Do you really end up doing much passed weighted sums and basic spacial analysis?
Tools and extensions for doing weighted sums and other spatial analytics are already written. I doubt you're trying to come up with some academic improvement to an algorithm or something.

>Just how important is python?
Very. You don't want to do rote monkey tasks, liking running the same tool on hundreds of layers, by hand. I don't know how much it improves your job opportunities.

There's different ways to get certified. ESRI has a certification program. I know Penn State has an online masters and some certificate in GIS, but I forget how long those take. USC also has a GIS program they advertise for, but I forget the specifics.
>>
nice proprietary software, faggot
>>
File: _.jpg (162 KB, 1440x870) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
162 KB, 1440x870
>>52097270
QGIS master race, amiright
>>
Fuck GIS, took a class in that bullshit software, it's a god damn crime against humanity that this piece of shit has such a large market share and no notable competitors.
>>
>>52096732
>Am I fucked if I have mediocre math skills?
not when www.khanacademy.com exists. just do exercises and you will be an expert in no time at all.

> Just how important is python?

Depends on your school. for me it was super useful, you can also make scripts in arcgis with it.
>>
>>52097378
I wish Qgis was used more.
>>
>>52097378
that icon set gives me eye cancer, but neat
>>
We had two geoprocessing courses at my institute. I felt like the software lacks consistency and is much more complicated to use than it should be allowed to.
>>
>>52099177
I think it is because GIS software hasn't really become mainstream, but it is enterprise software for enterprise people. And enterprise software is unnecessarily complex and and also expensive.

On the other hand there's open source GIS software, which is mostly undocumented (Mapbox, anyone?) or has become unsupported and superseded by something worse (Mapbox, anyone?) or has some flaws and limitations.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.