[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you're using Linux, you should be using Xubuntu, Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: xubuntu1404.png (787 KB, 1400x875) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu1404.png
787 KB, 1400x875
If you're using Linux, you should be using Xubuntu, Arch w/ XFCE, or any distro with a tiling WM. Everything else is pointless.

Prove me wrong (protip: you can't).
>>
This is a nice post. Thanks OP.
>>
The whole fucking appeal of lunix is freedom of choice.
Go choke on a bag of dicks you dumb faggot.
>>
PROTIP UR A FAGGET
>>
>>52092818
Man, I love /gee/!
>>
>>52092794
So any linux distro, essentially?
>>
>>52092794
Install GNU + Hurd
>>
It isn't a necessity to conform to the /v/irgin dual boot hivemind to use Linux.
>>
>>52092794
>Xubuntu

I installed gnome shell on Xubuntu, works great, thanks OP!
>>
>>52092794
I'm on Arch with both XFCE and a tiling wm. Do I get bonus points?
>>
>>52092794
What's wrong with Fedora and XFCE?
>>
>>52094593
Why on earth would you want to install Xfce (it's Xfce not XFCE you dumdums) on Fedora?
>>
>>52094616
>it's Xfce not XFCE
this is autism

i bet you argue about how to pronounce gif.
>>
>>52094593
Because I don't like GNOME.
>>
Why do you care what I run on my computer? Are you some religious zealot trying to save my "soul" or something?
>>
>>52094679
Was supposed to quote >>52094616
>>
what if i use twm
>>
Reminder that Openbox rocks!
>>
>>52094671
No, since I don't talk about internet nerd stuff with my friends. I will however interject when they spell Kvelertak wrong.
>>
>>52094679
What don't you like about it?
>>
>>52094784
The same things that I don't like about OS X. The organization is counter-intuitive to me. The extensions are pretty lacking in my opinion (few of them are relevant to me). The tweaks I wanted to make to optimize my workflow were either impossible or incredibly awkward.

Mind you, xfce isn't perfect either in these regards, but it does what I want better than GNOME.
>>
>>52094917
Sounds like you've never been able to afford a Mac, which is a common theme among Xfce users.
>>
>>52094947
My current laptop was more expensive than an MBP
>>
>>52095002
So you'd rather be that one guy who unironically runs Xfce on a machine that can manage something not shit than you would a poorfag.
>>
File: ubuntu-mate-compiz.png (790 KB, 1600x940) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-mate-compiz.png
790 KB, 1600x940
>>52092794
MATE is way superior to your 90's WM

GRANDPA
>>
>>52095045
What's not shit then, according to you?
>>
>>52094121
is hurd stable/finished? i would like to go full stallman
>>
MATE or Xfce?
>>
>>52094141
Underrated post
>>
>>52092794
Xubuntufag here. It's pretty comfy.
>>
>>52092794
Installed xubuntu xfce, it feels good, but all the good ricing guides are for arch.

How rice?
>>
>>52096955
You don't. It's good as it is.
>>
...I actually quite like Unity
>>
>>52092818
tell that to lennart
>>
>>52096973
But what about the "flexibility" of Linux?
>>
>>52096955
Start by picking a gtk theme you like.

deviantart has some good ones
>>
I'm comfortable with cinnamon.
>>
>>52094692
Underrated atheism
>>
>Not using the future desktop environment of advanced linux systems

http://code.dlang.org/packages/dinu
>>
>>52097140
complete dildos
>>
>>52092794
The boot splash screen,for all ubuntu flavors, doesn't work properly on my pc. I tried kubuntu+plasma5 and the sound Icon kept vanishing on startup and the thumbnailers for dolphin where missing. I tried xubuntu and again the splash screen ,on boot, was low resolution and not functioning correctly. Suspension and hibernation broke fglrx drivers and I had to enable the kill x-server shortcut in order to fix things. FedoraOS is,so far, the only OS that actually JUST WERKS for me.
Fuck lolnux man.
>>
>>52096955
Pretty sure you don't need OS as a factor on how to style your desktop..
>>
>>52092794
I'm on Arch with a tiling WM already.
>>
>>52092794
What's a tiling WM?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.